Testing Chat Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Testing Chat Thread

#1476 Post by Darksi4190 »

adr wrote:i would consider the bolivarian revolution by hugo chavez to be one. he was convinced to try democracy... and it worked. he's changed a lot of things in venezuela as president, including the constitution, so i'm pretty sure it fits the definition of a successful revolution, and it was done with elections and politics and shit, no coups, no wars
Yeah but isn't Chavez like, evil and shit?

Count Chocula
Liberal

#1477 Post by Count Chocula »

Knubble tov wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Obviously advocating violence is the reasonable solution to America's problems.
Of course that isn't the desired solution.
Yep, terrible idea. Never worked over here. Nossir.

The quality of revolutionaries has been on a steady decline.
"We've already had this discussion before. I treated you of barbaric caveman then." - Oxymoron

"He killed 80 people in 2 days"
"...he's adopted." - The Avengers

Count Chocula
Liberal

#1478 Post by Count Chocula »

Darksi4190 wrote:Ugh. Talked to my dad again today about me getting my own gun, since I don't just want to keep mooching off my friends' collections when we go to the range, and he's subtly implied that he'll stop helping me pay for college if I try to buy my own rifle. I don't know why he's so freaked out over it. I don't want to get a CPL, I don't want to carry it around, I just want a rifle (probably one like I fired last weekend, either an AR-15 or a Bolt-action Mosin. Allan says those are cheap.) to take to the range with my friends.
Can't you just get one and not tell him about it?
"We've already had this discussion before. I treated you of barbaric caveman then." - Oxymoron

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1479 Post by Darksi4190 »

Neither he nor my mom will allow a gun in the house, and there's no way in hell I can afford my own place. What am I supposed to do, keep it in my car? I've asked my friends about renting some space in their gun safes, but they were all pretty hesitant.

Count Chocula
Liberal

#1480 Post by Count Chocula »

Oh well then, that's simple. Just talk your friends into staging a "violent home invasion" of your parents' house, with much yelling, waving of arms and duct tape, but no real harm. You'll have the best arsenal on the block toot suite.

Yes, I AM KIDDING! It sounds like you may have to wait until you can afford your own place. Your other option is a small self-storage unit, but paying $500/year for a $500 rifle doesn't make much sense.

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#1481 Post by Darth Fanboy »

I'm not saying you should not one day get your own gun but this sounds pretty whiny dude, I'd say your parents are quite reasonable in this regard. Remember, its not mooching if you compensate your friends for it, just pay for the ammo and do the driving or something.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1482 Post by Phantasee »

Jung wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:Have there been successful non-violent revolutions?
India?
Egypt?
Sorta?
india? what?
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#1483 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Knubble tov wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Obviously advocating violence is the reasonable solution to America's problems.
Of course that isn't the desired solution.
Remove the word "desired" and the sentence becomes more accurate. The solution begins when more people realize that positive changes comes from work and effort. Unfortunately those with passion are more interested in forcing a message than inspiring the need for change. Average Joe isn't going to give a shit about the big protest about corporate greed if you make him late on his drive to work a 10 hour shift at a job he hates. Americans increasingly are communicating only with like minded people (see SDN) and its a wonder why the country is distressingly divided between two soulless political machines?

But the rampant defeatism, even in the face of horrible shit, its not going to make things better. I say this knowing full well that you have every reason to be pissed off and that you understand the healthcare crisis more than I do, and perhaps ever will. I just wish more of that anger could be focused towards advocating real changes and not daydreaming about a violent uprising.

Tldr: I apologize for the insinuation, I'm trying to be less pessimistic and I backfired on myself.

Losonti Tokash

#1484 Post by Losonti Tokash »

DF: :brah:

Questor

#1485 Post by Questor »

Phantasee wrote:But IE9 does the same thing?
[injoke]Use Chrome![/injoke]

Questor

#1486 Post by Questor »

Phantasee wrote:
Jung wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:Have there been successful non-violent revolutions?
India?
Egypt?
Sorta?
india? what?
Egypt wasn't even close to non-violent. Classical non-violence means that you don't fight back even when they are shooting you.

As for India, why does everyone think that a country the size of India (with a larger population than most continents) can be reduced to one man?

Gands

#1487 Post by Gands »

India was also helped by the fact that Britain just lots a fuckton of men and materials fighting Germany.

Dooey Jo

#1488 Post by Dooey Jo »

i hear some shit went down around 1989-91 :v
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1489 Post by adr-admin »

i just saw a movie commercial and it said in the print at the end

Rated PG for mild thematic elements and brief language

"mild thematic elements"? what the fuck does that even mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thematic_Elements
"Thematic elements," or "thematic material," is a term used by the Motion Picture Association of America and other film ratings boards to highlight elements of a film that do not fit into the traditional categories such as violence, sex, drug use and language, but may involve some degree of malcontent. This rating reason raises a warning to parents and guardians to learn more about a film before they allow their children to view it.[1] These thematic elements include death, discrimination, defiance, child abuse, coming-of-age issues, verbal abuse, disability, abortion, religion, and other serious subjects or mature discussions that some parents and guardians feel may not be appropriate for their young children.[1] Films with strong thematic elements include The Cider House Rules, Juno, The Aviator, The Color Purple, In Her Shoes, I Love You Phillip Morris, My Girl, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Mild thematic elements appear in many other PG and PG-13-rated drama and, primarily, documentary films.
my god the mpaa is ridiculous

Aaron
El Duderino

#1490 Post by Aaron »

Matt, just wait to move out. Surplus bolt actions will be around for a while, there were millions of Mosins made. Might want to look into an ex-sniper as they are more accurate.

And no, I'm not advocating violence, I'm just frustrated with watching gjys like Jeff and Brandon suffer, from the outside America is terribly broken.

Zod
perkele

#1491 Post by Zod »

Huh. So it looks like even Apple is capable of recognizing when they've made a terrible commercial. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/ap ... -internet/

Aaron
El Duderino

#1492 Post by Aaron »

So Val and I are seriously talking about buying a Ural in the next couple of years and riding to BC and Newfoundland. I wonder how comfy that sidecar would be for an entire day.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1493 Post by RogueIce »

Zod wrote:Huh. So it looks like even Apple is capable of recognizing when they've made a terrible commercial. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/ap ... -internet/
"The ads make Apple seem a little too smug for comfort."

What, those "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads weren't too smug for comfort? Man. I never actually thought there could be such a thing as "too smug" when it comes to Apple. :smugdog:

evilsoup

#1494 Post by evilsoup »

those ads were pretty smug, but at least they didn't imply that Apple customers are dimwits

Zod
perkele

#1495 Post by Zod »

Thanas wrote:So, 46% of US citizens are retards. Who knew.
I wonder if the esteemed PC police are going to jump on this post the way they did Flagg. Anyone want to take bets?

evilsoup

#1496 Post by evilsoup »

you should do it yourself

Oxymoron

#1497 Post by Oxymoron »

Are New-Yorkers jaded ?

http://www.jenproholky.cz/video/6835-uh ... newyorcany

All signs point to "yes".
No.

evilsoup

#1498 Post by evilsoup »

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1499 Post by RogueIce »

Zod wrote:
Thanas wrote:So, 46% of US citizens are retards. Who knew.
I wonder if the esteemed PC police are going to jump on this post the way they did Flagg. Anyone want to take bets?
Given this post in that thread from Darth Wong, I'm guessing probably not.

Or at least you could but I imagine the mods would nix it pretty quick. I mean I guess if you want to get cynical you could say Thanas' green name would have something to do with it, but given that DW was basically on Flagg's side for that, I'd say there'd be a reason to get it shut down and wouldn't exactly be hypocritical (on the staff's part, at least).

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1500 Post by adr-admin »

wat iz teh context here?

is it like "46% of US citizens believe that America is way cooler than Germany"?

because i mean, like death to america and all that, but we are kinda cooler so the real wtf would be the other 54% who don't want to admit it