Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

The troll forum, with 50% more bowel movements.
zhaktronz

Re: Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

#1526 Post by zhaktronz »

Yeah, the police commissioner was pretty much Joh's bag man

We now have Campbell Newman AKA Joh 2.0

thejester

#1527 Post by thejester »

given how often police say how bikies aren't even really bikies anymore as a way of emphasising that they are just organised criminal gangs this law seems fairly pointless

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1528 Post by RogueIce »

Jovial Jeff wrote:It's like that episode of the Shield (maybe the Wire?) where they considered a group of three or more people as being in a gang.

:oinkoink:

evilsoup

tee hee hee

#1529 Post by evilsoup »

I love this guy

Agent Bert Macklin

#1530 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Her experience echoed mine two years ago.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10 ... obamacare/

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1531 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Quick question: my job interview is tonight over webcam and I'm just starting to feel the effects of a cold like fatigue/sluggishness/confusion etc. Should I apologise for this in the interview, and if so, when, or should I leave it unspoken?

joviwan

#1532 Post by joviwan »

The start of the interview's the best place for it, if anywhere. "Hey there. I apologize if I sound muffled or start coughing, I just started coming down with a cold today."

You might consider pounding down some ibuprofen and caffeine an hour, hour and a half before the interview to get some pep and alertness back*

*I'm not your doctor, so you know, take that advice with some salt, too.

Agent Bert Macklin

#1533 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I think Joviwan and Jovial Jeff are TSTAN Bros because our usernames are so similar.

I rented a Canon 100mm f/2.8 L macro lens for a week. Here's one image I came up with after using it for about an hour.

Carnivorous Carcinoma by JLTuckerPhoto, on Flickr
Last edited by Agent Bert Macklin on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxymoron

#1534 Post by Oxymoron »

Looks pretty.
No.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1535 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Hey Tucker (or would you prefer Jeff now?) where do you live again? I don't suppose it's anywhere near where I am :L

joviwan

#1536 Post by joviwan »

Jovial Jeff wrote:I think Joviwan and Jovial Jeff are TSTAN Bros because our usernames are so similar.
At least three times now I went "wait I didn't write this" while reading one of your posts

Not complaining, just funny.

Agent Bert Macklin

#1537 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:Hey Tucker (or would you prefer Jeff now?) where do you live again? I don't suppose it's anywhere near where I am :L
I live a half hour from Atlanta.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1538 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

pffft not even close then

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1539 Post by RogueIce »

Flickr says "fuck you you're not seeing this picture hahaha" :(

Agent Bert Macklin

#1540 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

RogueIce wrote:Flickr says "fuck you you're not seeing this picture hahaha" :(
I deleted it and uploaded the unedited photo. I originally edited out the brand of the cigarette for some reason.

Carnivorous Cancer by JLTuckerPhoto, on Flickr

timmy

#1541 Post by timmy »

Is that the cigarette Eddie Van Halen's dad gave him after he got bitten by a dog
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1542 Post by adr »

oh god i'm so close to being a 1%er

on stack overflow!

i'm currently in the 98th percentile of gained reputation for this week. those D newbies had better keep asking things to put me over the top
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1543 Post by adr »

hard sci fi thought of the day: velcro hair ties

so you tie your hair, braid or ponytail kind of thing, then stick it to your back so the whip doesn't go out of control when in zero g

BTW long hair sheds an awful lot too. i used to find hair all over the place in the house. imagine all that gunking up the spacecraft's ventilation system

but oh well you clean what you gotta clean
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Agent Bert Macklin

#1544 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

timmy wrote:Is that the cigarette Eddie Van Halen's dad gave him after he got bitten by a dog
:)

He Unfortunately Doesn't Accept You (2) by JLTuckerPhoto, on Flickr

Cookie Monsters by JLTuckerPhoto, on Flickr

Oxymoron

#1545 Post by Oxymoron »

Another glorious advance for the Republican party and its anti Big-Government ideas !

http://public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov/2013 ... -shutdown/

tl;dr : the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is now in furlough.
No.

Oxymoron

#1546 Post by Oxymoron »

No.

Jung

#1548 Post by Jung »

Am I the only one who gets the feeling that the problems of the poor are a poor (heh) cousin to the subset of problems blacks/gays/trans/what-have-you have that middle class/affluent people can easily empathize with in provoking internet anger?

Like internet people seem to get more fired up about the problems of very small minorities like trans people or utterly trivial First World Problems issues like whether Miley Cyrus twerking is culturally appropriative than poverty issues.

I don't mean to sound like I'm resentful of the problems of groups like trans people getting attention but it just reinforces the feeling that class is the elephant in the room nobody likes to talk about, cause it's the line of social justice most directly threatening to the interests of the elite, cause the culture's drunk deep of Randroid ideas that if you're poor it's your own fault and something to be ashamed of whereas with stuff like race and gender the injustice is harder to conceal under such, cause the chattering classes tend to be affluent enough even if they're poor they can imagine it as some temporary phase they're going through and not really identify with the working class while stuff like race and gender is lifelong and permanent and inescapable

And cause poor people especially poor white people tend not to be very sympathetic victims for liberals y'know they're often those people who vote Republican and hate gays...

[/rant of the day]
Last edited by Jung on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jung

#1549 Post by Jung »

Continuing the rant for a moment I suspect this is part of the reason "privilidge" talk gets such a negative reaction from white male cishet people

People who are getting shit on are not really in the mood to be lectured about their unearned advantages and need to engage in what can sound suspiciously like a lifelong project of guilt-tripping and atonement, by people who kind of come off as not particularly caring about your problems above the kind of tut-tutting "that's terrible" level that people do when one of those "send a dollar to a kid in Africa" commercials comes on, and who tend to dismiss any resentment you have re: that as a character flaw on your part. There's a reason there's a ton of people who by economic interests should not be voting Republican and are, and I don't think it's entirely down to the Republican spin machine being just that good and those people being just that gullible and stupid (speaking of which oh boy is there a lot of classism mixed in with the left's attitude toward red staters). Reactionary movements feed on the poor "privildged" people who are alienated by the classist streak in liberalism.

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#1550 Post by Zablorg »

I'd say that's absolutely correct. Speaking generally, I think it's very often a demonstrable lack of perspective that tends to alienate people, as it really brings to light when people aren't looking at things holistically, if that makes sense, and are just trying to advocate for their pet issues. Which is not to say that focusing on an issue in particular is the problem, but rather implicitly denying that others exist at all. That's why the very worst of bad social justice comes from those who really are just advocating for their egos and in their superficial analysis have no concept of intersectionality, etc (the equivalent of the dollar for Africa thing you mentioned).

While the lower class are frequently ignored and pinned as those people, I don't know that I've observed Randian things specifically so much? Like the immediate responsibility for being poor.

admittedly I don't really suffer people who are terribad at social justice so I probably don't have the best idea of the scope or shape of its problems.