Re: HAN SOLO MORE LIKE SOLO HANDJOB HA HA HA HA

#2 Post by Crazedwraith »

id ask for deets but i don't really care
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

evilsoup

#3 Post by evilsoup »

Yeah fair enough, be I'm going to mown at you anyway about it
it was an incoherent mess without a discernable narrative structure or remotely consistent characterisation, Han Solo kept pulling skills out of his ass, they pissed on the third rail of droid slavery for cheap jokes. The whole thing was like a story told by a five year old child -- "and then, and then, and then..." -- just one fucking thing after another

I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but I was hoping it would be more entertaining than ironing a bunch of shirts or having a nap

just glad my local cinema is so cheap now

evilsoup

#4 Post by evilsoup »

On the other hand, the recent avengers film is surprisingly decent, even though they changed Thanos'motivation from being an incel friendzoned by Death into some stupid bullshit

I thought it had a pretty interesting structure, in they they'd basically pair off two sets of characters from different films _- iron man and Dr strange went off and had their little plot, thor went off with the guardians of the galaxy, etc... and then switched a few of them around between groups, and then had a big fight at the end. It was pretty cleverly done

Crazedwraith

#5 Post by Crazedwraith »

Huh. I just saw it with the family, not my idea. It's fine. Moves quickly, lots of action. The characterisation is a bit dodgy and heavy handed but it was fine to watch. Though one character's return was a total WTF moment. And it felt like the entirely film was building up to a 'Han shot first' gag. I guess I retain enough fanboyism for Han and Chewie that it works. Which is odd because I wouldn't consciously describe Han as my favourite character.

-

My unpopular opinion on Avengers 3. It's not what I expected and it's not an Avengers film. It's a Marvel Event Comic in film forms. (Hence the prominence of Strange, Spidey and the GotG) Given it's part 1 of 2 even though they took that off the title means, it was all a foregone conclusion. It's nice and watchable but the fact that lots of the people affected by the end have sequels in the work well... it made it feel like cheap fake pathos and heartstring tugging that will be undone. Earlier moments though were very good and very well done. I have mixed feelings I guess. I should like it a lot more than I do. I guess in the inverse of Solo, my fanboyism for RDJ's Tony Stark has faded a lot.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

evilsoup

#6 Post by evilsoup »

Yeah I've definitely noticed my opinions drifting further and further from the mainstream on some things. Like I think the more "political" marvel films (winter soldier, black panther) are easily the worst ones because of their infantile treatment of the subject matter. Han Solo treated the idea that someone could be outraged at slavery as a ludicrous joke. Plus I found it generally incoherent, with it literally having a or twist that the galaxy-spanning criminal syndicate who are allies with slavers and have been menacing or heroes... are actually baddies!!!!

But anyway yeah I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion, the reviews from the film seem to be more or less a shrug. And ask the parents with their kids gave me a strange look when I declared I would rather stab nails into my genitals than watch it again. Philistines!

Avengers 3, I mostly appreciate its structure. It's like some highly-evolved organism, beautifully adapted for a single purpose, with no extraneous features. Like an intestinal worm.

The Spartan

#7 Post by The Spartan »

evilsoup wrote:...the reviews from the film seem to be more or less a shrug.
I saw it Friday and that's pretty much my reaction to it. Every other time I've seen a Star Wars movie in the theater it felt like an Event to me. Even TPM. Solo felt like "Generic Sci Film" with Star Wars painted onto it.

I'm betting it's from bringing Ron Howard on board. I just don't think he was the right choice for a film like this. Based on what I've read, the original version, before he was hired, probably would have been better.