Downfall Of An Empire (Channel Awesome).

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Big Orangutan
Hipster

Downfall Of An Empire (Channel Awesome).

#1 Post by Big Orangutan »

Caught up on the ongoing online holocaust with the #ChangeTheChannelMovement?

A lot of grubby rumours of incidents and malpractice surrounding Channel Awesome for some years have finally been confirmed as largely true in damning Google document and the CA management kept issuing insincere apologies, and dug themselves deeper and deeper (while their whole home site imploded and their remaining video producers left like rats jumping from a sinking ship).

The official forums for CA, descending into looting, burning, and pillaging by the mobs after CA's generals and colonels deserted, have been put out of their misery permanently:

Also, when their own site is now functionally dead, Channel Awesome's YouTube site is in deep trouble too, haemorrhaging hundreds upon hundreds of subscribers by the hour. Channel Awesome's management (led by Mike Michaud) come across as callous and incompetent, while the Walker brothers come across as pompous chumps in over their heads (while Mike Ellis, one of the behind the scenes guys, was a psychopathic stalker and the jovial Justin Carmical, a popular producer who committed suicide, has been revealed as a sexual abuser).

And we're nudging closer to WWIII.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

The Spartan

Re: Downfall Of An Empire (Channel Awesome).

#2 Post by The Spartan »

I've no idea what you're talking about. Can you give me the Cliff Notes?

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#3 Post by Big Orangutan »

The Spartan wrote:I've no idea what you're talking about. Can you give me the Cliff Notes?
You're not familiar with Channel Awesome and the Nostalgia Critic, I take it? Sorry about that, I'll provided a link to the Google document in my first post and I'll give you a list videos about the entire rolling train crash....

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

I kinda grew up with Nostalgia Critic and Channel Awesome, the scandal was initially amusing but it became more of a depressing gut punch (with the terrible Justin Carmical revelation as a sexual predator).

The Spartan

#4 Post by The Spartan »

Ah, okay. I'm up-to-date now. I had occasionally come across Nostalgia Critic videos, but was otherwise unaware of the rest of it.

I can see how all that could be a gut punch.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by adr-admin »

they were crap anyway soooo

Crazedwraith

#6 Post by Crazedwraith »

adr-admin wrote:they were crap anyway soooo
Well that's just like, your opinion maaaan.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#7 Post by Big Orangutan »

The Walker brothers and Co. were Ok in their day, but it seemed like in their eagerness to get on with making video reviews and mini-movies they made the grave error of entrusting too much of the paper work side of things at Channel Awesome to Mike Michaud and Mike Ellis (the former a blazing bag of assholes and the latter a wannabe serial killer).

adr-admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by adr-admin »

meh

there were a few nostalgia critic ones i enjoyed but it is more because they were talking about funny movies like commando

Ralin

#9 Post by Ralin »

Sometimes he would bash really good movies like Jingle All The Way or Sidekicks.

Bounty

#10 Post by Bounty »

tl;dr? I mean less l than 73 pages of google docs and four hours of vlogging
People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.

Crazedwraith

#11 Post by Crazedwraith »

There is a summary link from the big google doc. Here

Basically, Channel Awesome is a website that hosts a lot of reviews of a lot of different people but mainly that of Douglas Walker's Nostalgia Critic. Reviews here meaning shouting and overacting rage about things badness. (at least in Walker's case) They also did crossover movies where all the critic 'characters' went on parody adventures.

Now people don't agree with how this site has run and a lot of their contributors have left/been chucked over the years and recently a full list of complaints was released from former workers, of bad management practise eg overworking people and not paying them, poor organisation when it came to the movies. (no on set catering, too much work planned for too little time, paid in exposure), misogyny and abuse and possibly covering up one of their contributors was sexually grooming/abusing his fans.

Channel Awesome have refused to apologise for this and their attempts to put the issue behind them generally came off as spiteful and trying to blame the complainers, which led to everyone left leaving.

tl;dr for the tl'dr: Company that makes silly videos on the internet is not well run, abuses talent, doesn't learn it's lesson.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you