Trek Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Crazedwraith

Trek Thread

#1 Post by Crazedwraith »

We need some geekery in here. Stat.

Most recent Trek I watched was... Star Trek (2009) when i got it on dvd for three quid. Everything past the Kelvin's demise is pretty naff really.

What I have read recently are the first two Hornblower omnibuses. This is like totally relevant, because kirk is supposedly based on Hornblower. Which makes his arrogance and the favours Pike does him all the more grating.

If Kirk is Hornblower than Pike should be Captain Sir Edward Pellew. Why does Pellew favour Hornblower? Because he 'was the best midshipman i have had on ol' Indefatigable'

Why does Pike favour Kirk, because his dad was a Hero.

Starship command is a genetic trait, don'tcha know.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Stofsk

Re: Trek Thread

#2 Post by Stofsk »

the biggest problem with star trek 09 is that kirk was written/played as/conceived as being a jerk

still better than B&B by a mile

/end thread

Dooey Jo

#3 Post by Dooey Jo »

i saw that stark trek recently and i liked how literally everything had a lens flare

did even the black hole have one? it should have had a black anti-lens flare
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr-admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by adr-admin »

hey guys check out this awesome effect in the gimp cinepaint

go to filters -> lens pieces of flair

Stofsk

#5 Post by Stofsk »

when i first watched it i didn't notice it

when i watched it again boy did i notice it

Zod
perkele

#6 Post by Zod »

Stofsk wrote:when i first watched it i didn't notice it

when i watched it again boy did i notice it
i thought the shaky cam was worse than the lens flair

Aaron
El Duderino

#7 Post by Aaron »

I haven't seen the new one yet. Might just re-read Hornblower instead.

uraniun235

#8 Post by uraniun235 »

I'm having a hard time thinking about Star Trek without drifting into bad crossover ideas. I've been binging on Blake's 7 for the past few days.

Stofsk

#9 Post by Stofsk »

'Unification part 2' was on TV last night and I saw a bit of it. Man that conversation between Data and Spock is one of my favourites in all of Star Trek.

I wish TNG had more episodes like this.

Zod
perkele

#10 Post by Zod »

Stofsk wrote:'Unification part 2' was on TV last night and I saw a bit of it. Man that conversation between Data and Spock is one of my favourites in all of Star Trek.

I wish TNG had more episodes like this.
I wish TNG didn't make me cringe as much as it does these days.

Stofsk

#11 Post by Stofsk »

Depends on the episode. TNG had more sucky episodes than TOS did, but they're spread out throughout much of the show's run. Although the first, second and seventh seasons both largely suck. (second and seventh seasons had some real gems though, and I think TNG ended on a high note with 'All Good Things...')

Ohma

#12 Post by Ohma »

Holy crap the animated series is awesome. Like, the animation quality is a bit shit but damn they actually use the show's premise! Hell even the eps that seem like they're going to be just awful piles usually end up being pretty cool. Like that one where they go to the siren planet and all the men are acting stupid and Uhura takes command and the guys on the planet get made all old and stuff and get picked up and thrown around by the sirens AND IT IS AMAZING!

Stofsk

#13 Post by Stofsk »

Man that series had awful animation. Like seriously.

Veef

#14 Post by Veef »

did you guys see the sfdebris review on Nemesis

the whole buildup to Data flying through space like Supermang was epic

uraniun235

#15 Post by uraniun235 »

Stofsk wrote:Man that series had awful animation. Like seriously.
It's really terrible, and it's even worse when you hit the sea of light pink thanks to the director/producer literally being colorblind. Makes me wish that they could take the recorded dialogue and just build new animation around it.

Veef

#16 Post by Veef »

well they could. I mean that Otaking guy used Doctor Who dialog to make his animu version

and then he got hired to animate feather hats for the lost episodes

Trek fans should get on this shizza right now

Stofsk

#17 Post by Stofsk »

I'd keep the original actor's voice work, but in a lot of cases I'd get new VAs for the guest appearances and shit. They also went overboard in the 'cutesy' voices for some of the aliens.

Then yeah, I'd do new animation for it, top to bottom. A Remastered TAS if you will.

Actually now I'm wondering why we haven't seen any kind of Trek Animated Series mark 2 done. Clone Wars shows that a fanbase will go for it, in many cases people prefer the Clone Wars to the actual prequels (I know I do, even though I think the series isn't all that great, it's miles ahead of the actual films).

EDIT you know in light of Veef's comment, I wonder why Trek fans haven't just done computer animation or something rudimentary. Literally the animation from TAS is that bad that even some youtube 'cartoon' stuff would be better.

Zod
perkele

#18 Post by Zod »

Stofsk wrote: EDIT you know in light of Veef's comment, I wonder why Trek fans haven't just done computer animation or something rudimentary. Literally the animation from TAS is that bad that even some youtube 'cartoon' stuff would be better.
A combination of either budgets or nobody talented willing to do it probably.

Veef

#19 Post by Veef »

Well flash animation is as cheap as free really.

Maybe Trekkers would rather dress up and watch Elvis impersonators play Kirk than to draw cartoon Kirk.

Stofsk

#20 Post by Stofsk »

A lot of fan stuff gets made. New Voyages for instance.

Zod
perkele

#21 Post by Zod »

Stofsk wrote:A lot of fan stuff gets made. New Voyages for instance.
Isn't that live action though? I'd think finding a competent artist that was actually interested would be tougher than finding a few people to act out parts.

Stofsk

#22 Post by Stofsk »

It is but it makes use of CGI. So if a fan series like that can get animators for it, I don't see why you can't get a couple dudes together and do some flash animation to replace the TAS stuff while keeping the dialogue and soundtrack intact.

There might be some other issue like doing a Trek series with all-new characters is fine, or even fan versions of Kirk and Spock is fine if they're speaking original lines or something, but using the dialogue and soundtrack of an entire episode would be no-no. I don't know about that though, that's just an unsubstantiated guess on my part.

It could also be that TAS is simply put not that popular with the fans that no-one has even considered it. Which is shame, there are some real gems in there (Larry Niven's episode in particular stands as a genuinely good sci-fi story in its own right, which is ruined by the crappy animation that had kzinti warriors dressed in pink clothing).

Zod
perkele

#23 Post by Zod »

I'd be interested to see how many fans actually know about the animated series existence. Personally I've known about it for years but I've still never seen an episode.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#24 Post by adr-admin »

Stofsk wrote:I'd keep the original actor's voice work, but in a lot of cases I'd get new VAs for the guest appearances and shit. They also went overboard in the 'cutesy' voices for some of the aliens.
I believe James Doohan did virtually all the guest voices as well as two or three of the minor characters. There's probably only so much variety one guy can do, even if he is really good at it.

Been a long time since I watched it though (despite having the entire series... mang i should make some time for that) so maybe he just stood out in my brain out of proportion.

uraniun235

#25 Post by uraniun235 »

It can sometimes be a bit jarring to hear James Doohan doing half the people that appear. We have Leonard Nimoy to thank for it not being any worse though; Roddenberry was originally going to have Sulu (and Chekov?) played by Doohan as well, and I think Majel Barrett was going to voice Uhura. Nimoy threatened to back out if any of the main characters were re-cast, so they brought Takei back on board and replaced Chekov with Arex. Arex and M'Ress were voiced by Doohan and Barrett.