evilsoup

Re: The Glue Factory

#1801 Post by evilsoup »

I just wish you'd said it in a funnier way

Ralin

#1802 Post by Ralin »

Darksi4190 wrote:
Ralin wrote:I just got my first Patreon backer. Someone is willing to give me ten dollars a chapter to write My Little Pony fanfiction.

I'm going to hell
Isn't that kind of illegal?

I wouldn't want to risk the wrath of Hasbro's legal team.
No. Selling My Little Pony fanfiction is illegal. Taking money to write My Little Pony fanfiction is not.

But yes, apparently there actually is a market for Big Macintosh monologuing about how huge and awesome his penis is.

Ralin

#1803 Post by Ralin »

Crazedwraith wrote:
evilsoup wrote:do you have stretch goals
i think to him stretch goals is something to do with mares wanting to take big mac's penis.

and i really wish i hadn't thought/said that.
Stretch goals are a Kickstarter thing. Though I did consider adding a reward tier where I promise to think of the backer briefly the next time I have sex.

Oxymoron

#1804 Post by Oxymoron »

So basically never? :v
No.

Ralin

#1805 Post by Ralin »

Oxymoron wrote:So basically never? :v
It worked for the Penny Arcade guys.

evilsoup

#1806 Post by evilsoup »

I've seen Patreons like 'for $300/mo I'll do an extra blog post a week', that's the kind of thing I meant by stretch goals, I don't know if Patreon has its own term for it
(also I'm pretty sure fanfiction is technically illegal in the first place? Taking money for it could up the damages in a lawsuit I think. Not that that's likely to happen anyway lol)

Ralin

#1807 Post by Ralin »

evilsoup wrote:I've seen Patreons like 'for $300/mo I'll do an extra blog post a week', that's the kind of thing I meant by stretch goals, I don't know if Patreon has its own term for it
(also I'm pretty sure fanfiction is technically illegal in the first place? Taking money for it could up the damages in a lawsuit I think. Not that that's likely to happen anyway lol)
Fanfiction exists in a grey area legally but generally no it is not. Other people have done this exact same thing and similar things without legal issue, and like I said: it's illegal to sell fanfiction. Not to write it and post it free of charge.

Ralin

#1808 Post by Ralin »

Also the first guy to back me has written like four or five Warhammer 40K fanfics

evilsoup

#1809 Post by evilsoup »

I'm like 90% sure that fanfiction is copyright infringement, whether or not you sell it. It's just that... what kind of a bellend would bother going after fanfic writers?

But, I've seen other people do what you're doing, and none of them have been stung by it, so you should be fine? Shit, idk, I'm not a lawyer.

Ralin

#1810 Post by Ralin »

evilsoup wrote:I'm like 90% sure that fanfiction is copyright infringement, whether or not you sell it. It's just that... what kind of a bellend would bother going after fanfic writers?

But, I've seen other people do what you're doing, and none of them have been stung by it, so you should be fine? Shit, idk, I'm not a lawyer.
Parody and transformative works are legal under American copyright law. Sites like fanfiction.net don't allow works by certain authors who are insistent about not wanting them to, but that's more a matter of courtesy and not wanting to deal with the hassle than legality.

Patreon is much, much further away from the line than, oh, FIMfiction receiving advertising revenue

Oxymoron

#1811 Post by Oxymoron »

No.

Manus Dei

#1812 Post by Manus Dei »

bukkake
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Ralin

#1813 Post by Ralin »

Yay, audio reading much better than the actual story deserves!

I can't wait to hear him do Walker: Equestrian Ranger

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1814 Post by RogueIce »

So, I went ahead and bought all three of the released soundtracks (shut up) and I have to say: Rarity gets the best songs. :3

Ralin

#1815 Post by Ralin »

I just watched the 100th episode.

The fuck was in that baijiu?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1816 Post by RogueIce »

Best. Episode. EVER! :flagg:

Ralin

#1817 Post by Ralin »

Okay I asked a friend and her sister confirmed that yes, Gummy did monologue about the nature of existence.

Apparently he was originally supposed to do in a French accent

Crazedwraith

#1818 Post by Crazedwraith »

So I've suddenly decided to catch up and watched ep 2 and 3 and s5. Pretty hilarious back to back. "We're friends despite our difference". doo-de-doo: "Twilight will like exactly the same things in her home as I do!" TBF it was a good issue to raise and they took one look and realise what they'd done wrong...

eta: yeah the CMC are never getting their marks. They just did every possible 'got a cutie mark splits the CMC' plots in one episode. And can we get a Luna episode that doesn't feature the dream thing?
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Ralin

#1819 Post by Ralin »

t Crazedwraith

Look, it’s not my fault. Getting turned back into a teenager meant dealing with teenage hormones again. I think the universe transition must’ve been messing with my head. It would’ve happened to anyone.

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.

But, yeah...

Okay.

I admit it.

Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
Tell me that's not something Harry Dresden would say.

Crazedwraith

#1820 Post by Crazedwraith »

Ugh. I hope not.

Crazedwraith

#1821 Post by Crazedwraith »

so episode 100. How many crappy fandom nods can we get into one episode?

okay okay it was awesome

Ralin

#1822 Post by Ralin »

My goofily happy mood lasted until Michael gently smacked me upside the head. “Clean thoughts, Harry. Do I even need to explain all the reasons why that would be a bad idea?”

evilsoup

#1823 Post by evilsoup »

so you're writing another fanfic or..?

Ralin

#1824 Post by Ralin »

evilsoup wrote:so you're writing another fanfic or..?
No, I'm quoting from one of Chengar Qordath's. The man has a creepily good grasp of both settings and how to combine them.

Crazedwraith

#1825 Post by Crazedwraith »

Ep12. That was sort of continuity full and retconny at the same time. I was sort of expecting it to go in a different direction, with the old friends only want to be hang out with Twilight because she's a princess and he realising they were never that close but that would be too anti-friendship for the show.