Re: Godammed SDN

#3527 Post by Dooey Jo »

it's non-lethal too! no one dies from 110 V in the us

it's only electrons, unlike that commie shit of other countries
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

zhaktronz

#3528 Post by zhaktronz »

Ps nobody dies of electricity in au and Europe either because we have regulatory standards.

RedImperator

#3529 Post by RedImperator »

Aaron wrote:So whats the deal with the civil war?

In hindsight, letting the South fuck off might have been the best option, given they've bogged you down in about every way possible for the entire existence of your country. Obviously slavery wouldn't have ended there but I wonder if they just would have collapsed later on and gotten reabsorbed.
Letting the south fuck off extends slavery at least another generation. That's another generation of rape, torture, forced labor, and families destroyed, plus God knows how long the Confederacy persists as a decripit apartheid state. That's an awful high price to pay so white liberals can have it slightly easier 150 years later.

What we should have done was tear out the slave culture and economy root and branch; we didn't, for a variety of reasons, an awful lot of them rooted in Northern racial prejudice ("Welp, we've had three years of Reconstruction and the Freedmen aren't instantly successful; I guess negroes really are a child race only fit for manual labor") or greed ("Break up the plantations? But where will we get cheap cotton for Northern mills?"). I don't know what kind of country we'd be now if we'd stuck it out through Reconstruction, but I have to imagine it'd be a better one.

Southern apologist historiography paints the Civil War as the great American tragedy, but black writers of the era called the war God's just punishment of North and South alike, and, frankly, I'm with them. The great tragedy was that hundreds of thousands of young men (including tens of thousands of free blacks and escaped slaves) died to destroy the slave power, and then the North squandered most of that victory by bungling Reconstruction.

PS guise i promise i'm going to continue my share of the "third parties: salvation of america or maybe not" discussiion

Manus Dei

#3530 Post by Manus Dei »

Oxymoron wrote:I've run the numbers :

Explanation : if the electrical resistance is a fixed number (which it should be on a crude electric stove, maybe not if it is a sophisticated model), halving the tension gives a fourth of the power output / heat.

Mind you, these calcs are good in DC, but I don't know if they hold for AC. Shouldn't be that much different, though.

[/ex-electrical engineering student]

In short, if my calculations are correct and if electric kettles manufacturers are dumb, electric kettles are 4 time more powerful in Europe than they are in the US.
what the shit is electrical tension. not once have i seen that phrase used before. is it the hip new slang for voltage
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Oxymoron

#3531 Post by Oxymoron »

A literal translation from my native French, I'm afraid ("tension électrique"). Thanks for the correction.
No.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3532 Post by adr-admin »

I've heard it used in English too. High school physics I believe.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3533 Post by adr-admin »

actually the internet is suggesting electrical tension is actually the proper term

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#3534 Post by starku »

Sioux dude

I read it and thought 'hey he's frencht hats neat'

Theni remembered attempted definitions of voltage

And thought

'hey tension is a really good word'

joviwan

#3535 Post by joviwan »

I've played over 70 of the top 100 games on BGG and know the pitfalls of FFG better than he ever hopes to do.
Look out, stark

he's played some games

CRITICAL THINKING

Zod
perkele

#3536 Post by Zod »

wtf is bgg

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3537 Post by adr-admin »

butt gluttony games

Dooey Jo

#3538 Post by Dooey Jo »

"tension" is the word i think most languages use for "voltage"

which actually is a pretty stupid word

you gonna call resistance "ohmage" next?

weight = "poundage"?

holy shit was that actually a word???

oh dear it actually means weight too
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Veef

#3539 Post by Veef »

I measure everything in slugs

Agent Bert Macklin

#3540 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Wattage.

Chadz

#3541 Post by Chadz »

You a-holes haven't mentioned jiggawhats once.
"Nerds. Nerds never changes." - Oxymoron

Darth Tedious

#3542 Post by Darth Tedious »

Count Chocula wrote:No, we're more efficient. 60Hz is better. 110V sucks but won't kill you if you touch it. It stings but 220V locks your muscles. Ouch. Burn. Die. Don't change that light switch
I've always found that NOT TOUCHING LIVE ELECTRICAL SHIT works.
Failing that, RCD's are mandatory here in Australia, so you can stick a fork in the toaster 'til the cows come home, if you're so inclined. And you won't die.

Though, I can see how it's a good thing that Murcan power is 110V, fuck knows the US wouldn't implement safety protocols to stop people getting electrocuted...

In any case, higher AC frequecies have the disadvantage of losing more electricity along power lines as it propagates into radio waves (otherwise we could all be on 400hz, because it's fucking awesome).
The biggest advantage 60hz used to have IMO was interference-free NTSC for pre-digital TVs. Faster blenders and drills are nice, too.
Seriously though, there's pros and cons to either frequency.

But 110V is shit.
adr rox worship him or suffer large
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

Agent Bert Macklin

#3543 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Darth Tedious wrote:Though, I can see how it's a good thing that Murcan power is 110V, fuck knows the US wouldn't implement safety protocols to stop people getting electrocuted...
There was outrage over goddamned light bulb standards. Imagine the outrage over what you just mentioned. Count Chocula would be in that outrage because he MUST toe the conservative line of less government = better and no tyranny.

uraniun235

#3544 Post by uraniun235 »

I remember accidentally buzzing myself several years ago when I went to unplug a power plug one-handed and my finger brushed against the connector because the plug was halfway loose.

Wikipedia seems to suggest that Australia was ahead of even other European countries with the RCDs, you guys started mandating them everywhere in 1991 while even the Norwegians, Germans, and British seemingly didn't require them in new construction until the 2000s.

US code does actually require RCDs (I guess they're called GFCIs here), but only for certain areas and it's been gradually expanded over the past forty years.

Agent Bert Macklin

#3545 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Only a fucking simpleton would think that soldier who voted for Ron Paul was speaking for the entire military. He probably wore the uniform show that yes, even soldiers dislike the wars.

Aaron
El Duderino

#3546 Post by Aaron »

Doesn't matter. It only matters what the regs say.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3547 Post by adr-admin »

yea, i can't fault them for enforcing the law/contract. that's the system.

but i can say that it is bullshit

Aaron
El Duderino

#3548 Post by Aaron »

Oh it certainly is.

weemadando

#3549 Post by weemadando »

As a public servant I am not meant to comment AT ALL on political matters.

Yeah.

Zod
perkele

#3550 Post by Zod »

Knubfuck wrote:Only a fucking simpleton would think that soldier who voted for Ron Paul was speaking for the entire military. He probably wore the uniform show that yes, even soldiers dislike the wars.
You should visit the comments section on MSNBC sometime.