RedImperator

Re: Godammed SDN

#3726 Post by RedImperator »

Ohma wrote:saying that someone is rapeable
wot

Sandman

#3727 Post by Sandman »

I've seen some unfortunate word choices before, but none quite so bad as that.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3728 Post by adr-admin »

rapeable is like fuckable but better because it implies she has strength of character yet weakness of body

it's a major compliment

from a certain point of view

i guess

Ohma

#3729 Post by Ohma »

RedImperator wrote:wot
generally used by con goers who are too much from the internet

y'know

if them following middle school girls dressed as sexy nyan-cat with a camera and leaving a grease trail behind wasn't indication enough that they need to be locked in their basements forest of time

Civil War Man

#3730 Post by Civil War Man »

I gave Firefly a shot years ago since a lot of people I know were really into it, but I never was able to get into it. Part of it was I found the various Chinese phrases thrown in there when there were so few visible asians a bit contrived and pretentious. Part of it was that the two characters I found at least somewhat interesting were cheaply killed off in the movie, which made going back to watch TV episodes I missed pointless. Part of it was comparisons I heard between the war in the backstory with the American civil war, which made me reflexively dislike the character of Mal, since if it was the civil war in space, it was told through the filter of a confederate apologist. Part of it is that something about Joss Whedon that I can't place makes me uninterested in something as soon as he's involved in it. And part of it is probably just a reaction to it being overhyped among my friends, because basically the exact same thing happened with nBSG.

On another note, how about that "cut the military budget" thread over on SDN? Highlights include an unspoken pissing contest over who can cut the military budget the most, and the number of people who make deep personnel cuts while leaving R&D untouched. Because the economy can take another 300k people hitting the unemployment lines over the next few years, but society will collapse if we can't develop the JDRAMALAMADINGDONG and anti-nuke nukes.

Sandman

#3731 Post by Sandman »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the American military already the most advanced in the world, and all of the military research budget at the minute is basically pretty redundant since they've got nobody else to compete with anyway?

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3732 Post by adr-admin »

but if you aren't constantly pushing the limits certain high tech jobs will be lost we'll be like the french digging brilliant tunnels before ww2

Aaron
El Duderino

#3733 Post by Aaron »

Sandman wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the American military already the most advanced in the world, and all of the military research budget at the minute is basically pretty redundant since they've got nobody else to compete with anyway?
Everything they do makes sense when you look at them as a failing empire trying to hold onto power/relevance.

At some point China may have a couple stealthy jets and a carrier, so better keep that R&D flowing. Also the country is run by the military industrial complex.

Ohma

#3734 Post by Ohma »

Aaron wrote:Everything they do makes sense when you look at them as a failing empire trying to hold onto power/relevance.

At some point China may have a couple stealthy jets and a carrier, so better keep that R&D flowing. Also the country is run by the military industrial complex.
/\
that

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#3735 Post by starku »

adr wrote:but if you aren't constantly pushing the limits certain high tech jobs will be lost we'll be like the french digging brilliant tunnels before ww2
You mean those tunnels that totally worked and made the nazis doom themselves y/n

I don't really like talking about decline in dramatic terms
I think more like ancient history textbooks
'they were awesome for ages'
'then they went away'

I've always wondered how those guys felt
And if they thought 'shit lets try and love forever'

Losonti Tokash

#3736 Post by Losonti Tokash »

have seen someone tell a rape victim they were rapeable

said jackass was fully aware of this, didn't understand why everyone got upset

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3737 Post by adr-admin »

i actually don't know anything about french tunnels except the french suck ass cuz of them

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#3738 Post by starku »

Defense line made Germans attack through Belgium resultin in missing Paris, allowing the bef to escape and everyone gangraping them

Frankly he Belgians suck for not updating their fortresses :v

adr-admin
Site Admin

#3739 Post by adr-admin »

sweet

i feel like less of an ignorant american each day

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#3740 Post by starku »

If only they hadn't counted on Belgian neutrality and extended he line to the coast

Ben the nazzies would have had to assault them directly and it would have made for an awesome war movie

I call it

Armoured track layer troopers

weemadando

#3741 Post by weemadando »

I bet Lonestar cut civilian personnel and non operational personnel way back, because contractors are smarter.
Last edited by weemadando on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

weemadando

#3742 Post by weemadando »

starku wrote:Defense line made Germans attack through Belgium resultin in missing Paris, allowing the bef to escape and everyone gangraping them

Frankly he Belgians suck for not updating their fortresses :v
But then we would have been denied one of the greatest coup de main actions in history with the glider assault on Eben Emael. But hey, having no WW2 at all would have been pretty great too.

Aaron
El Duderino

#3743 Post by Aaron »

weemadando wrote:I bet Lonestar cut civilian personnel and money operational personnel way back, because contractors are smarter.
IIRC from Facebook he didn't. I pretty much gutted the civvie sector, the pentagon, r&d and procurement (v22 lcs).

Aaron
El Duderino

#3744 Post by Aaron »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012 ... s=03bz0kjj

There you go Ando. Did it this time from the standpoint of reducing overseas bs.

Gands

#3745 Post by Gands »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:My own problem with Whedon shows is that each and every universe is perfectly set up so that any and all characters are constantly ready to fire off snappy one-liners, comebacks, and cutting observations. I understand how the occasional witty remark can help things out, but the torrent that comes out of any Whedon show just serves to constantly remind me that it's a fictional universe deliberately set up to help the many author's darlings fire off more quips.
Wash/Xander are quasi moronic, but always funny, and awesome when the circumstances demand it.

"Wash is just like me! I will watch this show!"

timmy

#3746 Post by timmy »

'Cancel F-35 program and use modernised Falcons/Hornets'

At this point it seems as though a lot of external F-35 customers are anticipating this as a real possibility.

Good thing for Boeing they were able to twist arms on the tanker contract right right
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Aaron
El Duderino

#3747 Post by Aaron »

I expect we'll never see it and we'll buy Super Hornets.

Civil War Man

#3748 Post by Civil War Man »

Sandman wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the American military already the most advanced in the world, and all of the military research budget at the minute is basically pretty redundant since they've got nobody else to compete with anyway?
I remember someone (Shep, maybe?) back when the F-22 production was being halted basically saying that if American military hardware isn't at least one generation more advanced then the next biggest military power, the terrorists win or something.

Veef

#3749 Post by Veef »

but thrust vectoring rules the skies!

turn on a dime Macross Zero style

Aaron
El Duderino

#3750 Post by Aaron »

His dick will shrivel.