Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Flagg

Re: Godammed SDN

#6651 Post by Flagg »

God I love the gun debates on SDN. BUT CARS KILL MORE PEOPLE!!!
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Zod
perkele

#6652 Post by Zod »

Flagg wrote:God I love the gun debates on SDN. BUT CARS KILL MORE PEOPLE!!!
ryan's just a fuckwit

if you're going to use a gun to commit a crime chances are it's going to be a stolen gun

in which case a registry is kind of pointless

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#6653 Post by starku »

Which is why they never

Oh wait lol

It's a lol that civil disobedience abou gun control is macho and patriotic

But about rich people raping the country is bad :v

Flagg

#6654 Post by Flagg »

Zod wrote:
ryan's just a fuckwit

if you're going to use a gun to commit a crime chances are it's going to be a stolen gun

Wanna back that up? Anyway, most guns used in spree killings are obtained legally.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

weemadando

#6655 Post by weemadando »

I've just remembered I meant to talk about that brilliant bit of Wonging from the past week where he tried to say that women having naked photos of them out there has no consequences for them anymore because the west is so enlightened.

Zod
perkele

#6656 Post by Zod »

Flagg wrote:
Zod wrote:
ryan's just a fuckwit

Wanna back that up? Anyway, most guns used in spree killings are obtained legally.
eh, can't be fucked to look up the statistics

Akhlut

#6657 Post by Akhlut »

weemadando wrote:I've just remembered I meant to talk about that brilliant bit of Wonging from the past week where he tried to say that women having naked photos of them out there has no consequences for them anymore because the west is so enlightened.
Eh? Link for that one, ¿por favor?

weemadando

#6658 Post by weemadando »

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 8&t=152704 - it's from Jan as it turns out, I just went into ARSE for the first time in ages this week.

Questor

#6659 Post by Questor »

Hey Aaron,

Am I completely off base when I say that I think the whole gun control debate comes from two places:

1. Guns are loud, and scare people who have never become familiar with them.

2. In cities/suburbs, most people will not ever handle a gun.

I don't get the comparisons to knives, either. Most gun violence is either completely random - in which case it's either the product of someone who is a terrorist by the old definitions, or the result of someone being unhinged. In either case, there's plenty of ways to create huge casualties without guns. In fact, I have occaisionally wondered if guns keep things from escalating to - say - easy to produce poison gasses or explosives.

Non-random gun crime is just the difference between penetrating and slashing trauma.

EDIT: In case it's not obvious: I'm firmly in the "Guns are tools, just like cars and kitchen utensils, and maybe deserve some extra licensing for being dangerous tools (e.g. Cars or airplanes) but are not inherently good or evil" camp.

I do support regulation of things that would be classified as crew served weapons, but there are grades of drivers licenses, too.

weemadando

#6660 Post by weemadando »

I grew up using guns on farms. Why anyone *needs* something more than a bolt action .22 or a 12ga, I will never know.

Aside from folks who live in legitimate killer animal territory.

Questor

#6661 Post by Questor »

I remember somebody I knew saying: "The better the shot, the smaller the bullet."

I'd say a 30-30, but then all I've ever used a rifle for is hunting, and not much of that.
Last edited by Questor on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zod
perkele

#6662 Post by Zod »

Questor wrote: EDIT: In case it's not obvious: I'm firmly in the "Guns are tools, just like cars and kitchen utensils, and maybe deserve some extra licensing for being dangerous tools (e.g. Cars or airplanes) but are not inherently good or evil" camp.

I do support regulation of things that would be classified as crew served weapons, but there are grades of drivers licenses, too.
I've taken gun safety courses and know the basics about shooting, but I'm in the camp of "guns are for killing things, any other purpose is purely secondary and probably not intentional". Trying to downplay them as tools comes off as rationalization to me.

Questor

#6663 Post by Questor »

Guns are for killing things. That doesn't mean they aren't tools.

Swords, halberds, and crossbows are also tools for killing things.

EDIT: wonderful example: javelins are also tools for killing things, and other uses are not so much accidental as derived. Do you consider a javelin to be something that is evil, and calling it sporting equipment is "a rationalization"?

By the way, what's a meter long club? A professional (EDIT: I swear to god this says p r o f f e s s i o n a l in my text, somebody is playing with the word filter.) tool, a toy (tool for recreation), or a weapon (tool for killing people)?

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#6664 Post by Nietzslime »

i think that gun control is unnecessary in a country where the responsible use and perception of guns is culturally ingrained in citizens like in finland or switzerland

the trouble is that that would only seem possible in a very homogeneous mono-culture like finland or switzerland

and that kind of social engineering produces its own set of problems
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

Aaron
El Duderino

#6665 Post by Aaron »

Questor wrote:Hey Aaron,

Am I completely off base when I say that I think the whole gun control debate comes from two places:

1. Guns are loud, and scare people who have never become familiar with them.

2. In cities/suburbs, most people will not ever handle a gun.

I don't get the comparisons to knives, either. Most gun violence is either completely random - in which case it's either the product of someone who is a terrorist by the old definitions, or the result of someone being unhinged. In either case, there's plenty of ways to create huge casualties without guns. In fact, I have occaisionally wondered if guns keep things from escalating to - say - easy to produce poison gasses or explosives.

Non-random gun crime is just the difference between penetrating and slashing trauma.

EDIT: In case it's not obvious: I'm firmly in the "Guns are tools, just like cars and kitchen utensils, and maybe deserve some extra licensing for being dangerous tools (e.g. Cars or airplanes) but are not inherently good or evil" camp.

No I think your pretty spot on.

Ando, you don't need a lot of things. In our society, wanting it is sufficent. That said, hunting requires something with more punch then a .22lr and typically more range then a shotgun in north america.

A 30-30 will serve you fine East of Alberta but something heavier is requirex for the great bears.

Oxymoron

#6666 Post by Oxymoron »

Aaron wrote:A 30-30 will serve you fine East of Alberta but something heavier is requirex for the great bears.
A 40mm grenade launcher ?
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#6667 Post by Aaron »

Zod wrote:
Questor wrote: EDIT: In case it's not obvious: I'm firmly in the "Guns are tools, just like cars and kitchen utensils, and maybe deserve some extra licensing for being dangerous tools (e.g. Cars or airplanes) but are not inherently good or evil" camp.

I've taken gun safety courses and know the basics about shooting, but I'm in the camp of "guns are for killing things, any other purpose is purely secondary and probably not intentional". Trying to downplay them as tools comes off as rationalization to me.
What if you never hunt?

Mine kill only paper and will until my son is twelve and is old enough to hunt. Its why firearms are only considered a weapon in the criminal code if you commit a crime with one.

Lol, .308, .30-06

Funny enough though I can own a 40mil with my license.

Flagg

#6668 Post by Flagg »

Guns are tools. Expressly designed for killing. Handguns for killing people.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Aaron
El Duderino

#6669 Post by Aaron »

OK, I think I can agree with that.

weemadando

#6670 Post by weemadando »

Yeah, hunting can require slightly larger calibres but still not the "need AR15 for raccoon!" factor.

Honestly, in my exposure/experience the only times that firearms were ever used for actual farm work was a) sometimes rabbit/pest plinking, and b) the far far far more common euthanasia option.
Last edited by weemadando on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flagg

#6671 Post by Flagg »

And I'm not anti-gun. Just anti-fantasy land where guns are magic.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

zhaktronz

#6672 Post by zhaktronz »

Zod wrote:
ryan's just a fuckwit

You are a fucking retard. How could knowing where the fucking gun was stolen from help the police? HOW!

Maybe if people kept their guns in a fucking safe like not-dipshits.

Keep ten ak under the bed! Need them to do your fly up!

weemadando

#6673 Post by weemadando »

Oh Loinstar. It's not like there's ever non gun wank motivations for doing things. Like say, market research into what people want to play.

Flagg

#6674 Post by Flagg »

I have no problem with registry in principle, but it seems to always lead to confiscation down the line, so the well has been poisoned.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Aaron
El Duderino

#6675 Post by Aaron »

weemadando wrote:Yeah, hunting can require slightly larger calibres but still not the "need AR15 for raccoon!" factor.

Honestly, in my exposure/experience the only times that firearms were ever used for actual farm work was a) sometimes rabbit/pest plinking, and b) the far far far more common euthanasia option.
Yeah. .223 is popular here for coyotes that get into livestock.