Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Aaron
El Duderino

Re: Godammed SDN

#6676 Post by Aaron »

Flagg wrote:I have no problem with registry in principle, but it seems to always lead to confiscation down the line, so the well has been poisoned.
Same here. But ours was badly implemented, dunno why we're suddenly talking about America in a thread about Canada.

zhaktronz

#6677 Post by zhaktronz »

Thing is it really is the governments right to confiscate guns, or any other property guys.

Aaron
El Duderino

#6678 Post by Aaron »

Not without compensating people.

zhaktronz

#6679 Post by zhaktronz »

Are governments expected to compensate people for illegal drugs they seize?

Aaron
El Duderino

#6680 Post by Aaron »

Dude, if you owned something legally and then they decide its illegal or has been erroneously classified, well it ain't theft but its pretty close. And you know as well as I do that paying for it makes it easier to swallow. Your government bought all the guns after all.

zhaktronz

#6681 Post by zhaktronz »

Yeah it's certainly bad form of the government not to offer compensation, but it's not any more or less legal or immoral for them not to offer compensation.

Aaron
El Duderino

#6682 Post by Aaron »

Yeah not less legal but I would say it's isn't moral.

I mean I have over 5000$ dollars invested in my guns, ammo and accessories, that's money that could be used to start a new hobby should the government suddenly decide we can't have them.

Director of Celestial Intelligence

#6683 Post by Director of Celestial Intelligence »

weemadando wrote:Yeah, hunting can require slightly larger calibres but still not the "need AR15 for raccoon!" factor.
Funnily enough the AR15 makes a very good varmint rifle, the .223 is actually a very popular varmint hunting round for things like raccoons and coyotes.

Aaron
El Duderino

#6684 Post by Aaron »

Considering the AR15 is just a .223 semi-auto, yeah. It has the benefit of being a little more ergonomic then the typical stock as well.

Zod
perkele

#6685 Post by Zod »

Aaron wrote:
Zod wrote:
Questor wrote: EDIT: In case it's not obvious: I'm firmly in the "Guns are tools, just like cars and kitchen utensils, and maybe deserve some extra licensing for being dangerous tools (e.g. Cars or airplanes) but are not inherently good or evil" camp.

I do support regulation of things that would be classified as crew served weapons, but there are grades of drivers licenses, too.
I've taken gun safety courses and know the basics about shooting, but I'm in the camp of "guns are for killing things, any other purpose is purely secondary and probably not intentional". Trying to downplay them as tools comes off as rationalization to me.
What if you never hunt?

Mine kill only paper and will until my son is twelve and is old enough to hunt. Its why firearms are only considered a weapon in the criminal code if you commit a crime with one.

Lol, .308, .30-06

Funny enough though I can own a 40mil with my license.
I don't think your motivation for owning something has anything to do with what something is designed for.

Losonti Tokash

#6686 Post by Losonti Tokash »

man i love guns and think target shooting is a great hobby but some people seem pretty determined that guns aren't dangerous because they think that would open up a gap in the armor for people to run a ban through

like shit cars are dangerous and kill way more dudes but a lot of that is due to volume and shockingly a lack of proper training plus bad habits

which i am 90% positive is what causes most gun accidents anyway

Darth Tedious

#6687 Post by Darth Tedious »

Cars don't kill people
Incompetence kills people

I like it.
adr rox worship him or suffer large
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

Zod
perkele

#6688 Post by Zod »

Darth Tedious wrote:Cars don't kill people

I like it.
if cars are such deadly weapons then why doesn't the military use them instead of guns? :v

Aaron
El Duderino

#6689 Post by Aaron »

I think suicide by gun is tbe leading cause of firearms death here, actual use by crooks is some pathetically small number. You have a greater chance of being killed by fucking lightening.

Zod, I'm not sure I follow you

Zod
perkele

#6690 Post by Zod »

Aaron wrote:I think suicide by gun is tbe leading cause of firearms death here, actual use by crooks is some pathetically small number. You have a greater chance of being killed by fucking lightening.

Zod, I'm not sure I follow you
some people think that handguns aren't really that deadly since there's other things that cause more deaths

Aaron
El Duderino

#6691 Post by Aaron »

Ahh.

Civil War Man

#6692 Post by Civil War Man »

Yeah, it's pretty dumb logic.

I mean, more people die of heart attacks than arsenic poisoning. So arsenic must not be that deadly.

Aaron
El Duderino

#6693 Post by Aaron »

Man, I'm reading Metro 2033 and the bloody Jehovah's Witness's make an appearance!

Darth Tedious

#6694 Post by Darth Tedious »

Zod wrote:
Darth Tedious wrote:Cars don't kill people

I like it.
if cars are such deadly weapons then why doesn't the military use them instead of guns? :v
Because the military are well-trained.
It's the INCOMPETENCE that kills people.
adr rox worship him or suffer large
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

Aaron
El Duderino

#6695 Post by Aaron »

Can you conceal a car on your person? :hurfhurf:

weemadando

#6696 Post by weemadando »

I don't understand what the adults are talking about, but it sounds unpleasant and I don't like that, so they must be trolling and bad people who are bad at their jobs.

Intellectual crucible. Smartest board.

Losonti Tokash

#6697 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Who the fuck knows. Pointing out guns are made for killing gets responded to with "some dude fifty years ago built a flamethrower" and "swords are the same thing."

Aaron
El Duderino

#6698 Post by Aaron »

I'm amazed that the guy didn't burn himself to death.

Aaron
El Duderino

#6699 Post by Aaron »

It's kind of funny to watch. Guns replaced all other hand held weapons because they offer the most efficient way to kill, require little training and are fairly cheap. But you can't discuss that without being accused of being an anti or being subject to anecdotes about knives.

Yeah certain things might work in certain situations but in general the most efficient way to kill someone is too shoot them.

Oh no! I'm a class traitor and vote liberal!

weemadando

#6700 Post by weemadando »

Also having been fucked about by folks with knives, it's scary, but the chances of them accidentally stabbing you to death because they were holding the grip wrong is pretty much negligible.