Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Questor

Re: Godammed SDN

#10776 Post by Questor »

Zod wrote:
Akhlut wrote:I just wish I had time to do shit like that anymore. Working 8.5 hour days with 2 hours of commuting and at least nominally 8 hours a day for sleep doesn't leave a whole lot of time for other shit in the day, after trying to cram in meals and stuff.
I make up for that by trying to travel as much as I can possibly afford. But since I hate where I live anyway it's not a hard choice for me.
Dude, you need to drop denver like a bad habit. Even TEBOW got out.

Zod
perkele

#10777 Post by Zod »

Questor wrote:
Zod wrote:
Akhlut wrote:I just wish I had time to do shit like that anymore. Working 8.5 hour days with 2 hours of commuting and at least nominally 8 hours a day for sleep doesn't leave a whole lot of time for other shit in the day, after trying to cram in meals and stuff.
I make up for that by trying to travel as much as I can possibly afford. But since I hate where I live anyway it's not a hard choice for me.
Dude, you need to drop denver like a bad habit. Even TEBOW got out.
If I could find another job that paid $21 an hour in a non-shit city I'd get out asap.

zhaktronz

#10778 Post by zhaktronz »

In aus I made 21$/hour working in a supermarket

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#10779 Post by Phantasee »

what's a one-bedroom apartment cost to rent on average?

and when was this? what was the exchange rate then?

because i made 25-30 driving a truck

and at 60 hours a week for about 8 months a year (equivalent of 40/week for 12 months), that would be about 50k a year

a pretty good income for a driver with (hypothetically) no education beyond a few weeks at driving school and a high school diploma or equivalent

so working 40 hours at 21 is about 40k a year

i expect to make 25-30k starting out now that i've graduated, up to 40k within a year or two

what's the starting salary of an accounting grad at your school, as they work for their designation?
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

adr-admin
Site Admin

#10780 Post by adr-admin »

ATTN: 'murkans

http://jackson.house.gov/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=86
Attached please find legislation - the Catching Up To 1968 Act of 2012 - that I will introduce in the House of Representatives today regarding raising the minimum wage to $10 per hour. That may sound like a hefty wage increase but it doesn't fully equal the purchasing power of the minimum wage in 1968 - which today would be closer to $11 per hour. The bill is really only allowing American workers a degree of "catch-up." Thus the name and theme around the bill: "Catching Up To 1968." Of course, the current federal minimum wage has been $7.25 per hour since 2007.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#10781 Post by starku »

Phantasee wrote:what's a one-bedroom apartment cost to rent on average?

and when was this? what was the exchange rate then?

because i made 25-30 driving a truck

and at 60 hours a week for about 8 months a year (equivalent of 40/week for 12 months), that would be about 50k a year

a pretty good income for a driver with (hypothetically) no education beyond a few weeks at driving school and a high school diploma or equivalent

so working 40 hours at 21 is about 40k a year

i expect to make 25-30k starting out now that i've graduated, up to 40k within a year or two

what's the starting salary of an accounting grad at your school, as they work for their designation?
What kind of accounts clerk only makes 30k? In au even a year of accounting prep puts you at 55+

And au real estate is still massively distorted

Sherry and I could trivially buy a modern apartment in Taiwan for less than a shitty house here

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#10782 Post by Phantasee »

not quite an accounts clerk

it's a starting salary for anyone doing an accounting designation

part of it is to supply cheap labour to big 4 accounting firms for their needs

get your CA and you're making 60-75k a year

execpt for the part where they lay you off after you pass your exams because they know there's another group of fresh graduates for half the price

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#10783 Post by starku »

look you don't have to tell me how awful accounting is

there's a reason its the easiest part of business

but it's ok baby i'm sure you'll have a fulfilling time with your penchant for ... whatever you do ... desiring fame maybe? lots of high profile... uh...

and hey zak in tw 400k equivalent gets you an apartment in the centre of taipei or an apartment on the fringe of a major industrial/commercial center and 200k in the bank

so uh

au and sprawling suburbs hey? good for... rich people!

Zod
perkele

#10784 Post by Zod »

zhaktronz wrote:In aus I made 21$/hour working in a supermarket
Yeah well we already know American wages suck so . . .

Questor

#10785 Post by Questor »

Zod wrote:If I could find another job that paid $21 an hour in a non-shit city I'd get out asap.
I vaguely recall you are in finance or IT? There's usually a decent amount available out here. Saw a bunch of project management type jobs in the last Computer issue I read.

Zod
perkele

#10786 Post by Zod »

Questor wrote:
Zod wrote:If I could find another job that paid $21 an hour in a non-shit city I'd get out asap.
I vaguely recall you are in finance or IT? There's usually a decent amount available out here. Saw a bunch of project management type jobs in the last Computer issue I read.
I get paid to do quality assurance and turn unruly PDFs into lists. Not really qualified for any kind of management positions. :v

also employers actually need to look at my resume for it to mean anything

Questor

#10787 Post by Questor »

Frankly, that sounds like a rather unfun job...

Zod
perkele

#10788 Post by Zod »

Questor wrote:Frankly, that sounds like a rather unfun job...
most jobs aren't fun

though i do admit that's at least part of the reason i'm hoping i have some kind of modest success with this kickstarter project

Questor

#10789 Post by Questor »

Zod wrote:
Questor wrote:Frankly, that sounds like a rather unfun job...
most jobs aren't fun
Guess I'm just lucky.

Pieman

#10790 Post by Pieman »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:
Pieman wrote:If he's not the most batshit person on SDN, it's not for lack of effort.

I don't really care who is most batshit. I'm not sure I want to know.
Well, there's Duchess :duchess: , then there's me :troll:
You're not even in the running, anyone who can conceal their kookiness from me so well I don't know about it isn't batshit. And she gets kicked out in the first round of elimination for a number of reasons. Batman... he's like a semi-finalist or something. You have to be pretty dedicated to your insanity to stick with "refer to comic book character in the first person" for years on end like that.

Einhander Sn0m4n

#10791 Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Zod wrote:also employers actually need to look at my resume for it to mean anything
That's the trick, really. Employers have been innovating in the fields of 'not hiring any-damn-body at all' and 'not looking at any resumes or job applications just throwing them in the trash'. I hear there's been steady advancement in these fields since 1987, but there was a stunning breakthrough in 2008 directly from Wall Street.

timmy

#10792 Post by timmy »

starku wrote:What kind of accounts clerk only makes 30k? In au even a year of accounting prep puts you at 55+

And au real estate is still massively distorted

Sherry and I could trivially buy a modern apartment in Taiwan for less than a shitty house here
It's about time I came clean with my shameful secret

I am a front office manager and also wear the hat of accounts receivable

I make not quite 50K

I've had a few people tell me within the last year that I may be being shafted. If I get offered CPI increase at salary review this week, that should take me to a smidge over 50

So the question is, am I assertive enough to ask for a bit more?
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

timmy

#10793 Post by timmy »

One of points I plan to make is that my position basically denies me the possibility of taking on a second job, which, given my family situation, is something that I'd be doing if I could.

-thejester

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#10794 Post by starku »

Timbo heaps of guys are in that situation

Do a course

Get a new job

It will 100% benefit you

timmy

#10795 Post by timmy »

Finish Diploma of Management in a month, reckon that'll help?

-thejester

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#10796 Post by starku »

It sure won't hurt dude
But if you're a money grubbing guy like Phant you are arguably well positioned to move into accounting with your experience, but you need a prep course and (I believe) at least x hours of accounting task a week for six months to sit the CA

You're a guy with broad range of experience and a desire for progress and these are both strengths no matter how you feel about your current job

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#10797 Post by Phantasee »

Even if you're not a money-grubbing guy I highly recommend management accounting. It's pretty rewarding, more operations and decisions than income statements and balance sheets.

timmy

#10798 Post by timmy »

That's pushing on from middle management(where I'm at now) and into senior management. Know what I hate about senior management? They spend half the fucking day in meetings. I understand, I really do, that this is in order to discuss and set policy, develop strategies, show off Gant charts, but seriously when I spend a chunk of the day in a meeting(usually Wednesdays for Ops meeting) it feels like I get nothing productive done.

Viz I am not really cut out for senior management.

-thejester

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#10799 Post by starku »

No you're not cut for senior a management in a fucked company

You can tell a lot about an organisation by its meetings

Pieman

#10800 Post by Pieman »

Like, how many of them it has? How messed up the dynamics are in the conversations? Whether one or two people are dominating the whole meeting?

All of the above?