#11251 Post by Oxymoron »

I declare you Honorary Knight of the Order of the Ivory Tower :v
No.

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

Re: Godammed SDN

#11252 Post by Nietzslime »

honorary? :smug:
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

Oxymoron

#11253 Post by Oxymoron »

Trust me, you don't quite me meet the level of the fully fledged knights yet. There's policy makers in the ranks, you know...
No.

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#11254 Post by Nietzslime »

damn, i'll have to up my use of smug dismissiveness to appear discerning and sneering hyperbole to replace argumentation

Djinnkitty83

#11255 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Nietzslime wrote:re the circumcision thing

are we actually at the point where we're complaining about what is a minority viewpoint on the other board for having a different opinion on what is basically a subjective issue, particularly since, you know, there are statistically-measurable health benefits to circumcision (and its effects on sensitivity and so forth are in fact pretty poorly-understood at best) that make its cost/risk vs benefit as a standard medical procedure a perfectly debatable subject in its own right
That's a good argument... that isn't being brought up in that thread. The argument is 'the cultural identity of jews is almost wholly dependent upon removing body parts from infants, thus requiring there be medical (as opposed to religious/cultural) reasons for the procedure would destroy Jewish culture".

And even as far as medical benefits go, if it can be shown that it will improve quality of life for an infant, or at least be medically necessary to avoid health problems, sure go for it. But otherwise, why can't people wait until they're more capable of giving/withholding consent for invasive procedures outside of emergencies... just like pretty much every other medical procedure out there?

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#11256 Post by Nietzslime »

i don't disagree (though if i felt like devil-advocating, and i don't, i could probably compare circumcision to like an extremely-low cost vaccination for stds and such. i dunno how well that would hold up re: normal cost/benefits for vaccines, probably not well, since for instance the smallpox vaccine is {i think} limited to certain sectors of the population due to its risk of complications), and i guess that ending 'broomstick is being stupid again' comments would be like knocking down a pillar of our community anyway, i just want to make sure we don't go too down far the hole of bitching about uggh, opinions/ i'm just a contrarian and feel a compulsive need to say 'well, i dunno about that...' when presented with any idea not my own
Last edited by Nietzslime on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#11257 Post by Bakustra »

I'm just in awe that Broomstick is willfully misinterpreting everything Akhlut says to assume anti-Semitism. Hilariously, there actually is a movement claiming that circumcision is incompatible with Judaism, and Islamic circumcision guidelines are vague enough that they may be compatible with the necessity of consent, something that would likely require further rulings or organic laws to determine the age at which circumcision, ear-piercing, etc. can take place legally. Of course, we instead have a slapfight where the one side crieth genocide, and the other fundamentalist, and ne'er the twain shall think. I'm not going to get involved, because I want to feel clean for a glorious little while before I intimate unkind things about people again.

Djinnkitty83

#11258 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Blayne wrote:The "commands from the sky" have currently evolved to be central to their ethnic identity; this is a fact. Denying circumcision denies them their culture, that they've fought wars over, survived oppression, ghettoes and actual genocide over, the Ghandi "They should just give up and assimilate" arguments are wrong for their own reasons, and potentially a greater wrong.
:failure:

And right on cue, my entire point is summed up rather nicely in that thread. God must love me.

Zod
perkele

#11259 Post by Zod »

time to godwin this bitch up

Losonti Tokash

#11260 Post by Losonti Tokash »

I do think that radical Islam represents a potentially existenial threat to western civilization
man

Bakustra

#11261 Post by Bakustra »

Losonti Tokash wrote:
I do think that radical Islam represents a potentially existenial threat to western civilization
man
i feel the urge to totally misrepresent this and agree that all the be-hijabed ladies on skateboards get annoying when they toss copies of l'etranger and nausea at you

Djinnkitty83

#11262 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Zod wrote:time to godwin this bitch up

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#11263 Post by Nietzslime »

what shits me is tanasinn and terralthra saying that banning a language is less harmful than circumcision

as someone who lives in canada, where so many of our reservations are drug- and poverty-ridden shitholes precisely because of western cultural oppression of that exact kind destroying familial bonds, destroying skillsets and knowledge, and making their livelihoods impossible

fuck that noise for ultimate reals

(also, nobody in that thread using the word mutilation actually understands the definition of mutilation)

Bakustra

#11264 Post by Bakustra »

Nietzslime wrote:what shits me is tanasinn and terralthra saying that banning a language is less harmful than circumcision

as someone who lives in canada, where so many of our reservations are drug- and poverty-ridden shitholes precisely because of western cultural oppression of that exact kind destroying familial bonds, destroying skillsets and knowledge, and making their livelihoods impossible

(also, nobody in that thread using the word mutilation actually understands the definition of mutilation)
i mean, i had my body mutilated just a couple weeks ago by their estimation

Djinnkitty83

#11265 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Nietzslime wrote:what shits me is tanasinn and terralthra saying that banning a language is less harmful than circumcision

Dude, you've got it the wrong way around: He's saying that speaking a language to preserve a culture is less harmful to others than mandatory circumcision to preserve a culture. So trying to compare banning an invasive medical procedure to banning a language is fallacious.

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#11266 Post by Nietzslime »

you could be right, i have a hard time figuring out exactly what their point is

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#11267 Post by Nietzslime »

also i spent most of today tired and thinking about the camping trip i'm going on tomorrow

Questor

#11268 Post by Questor »

I haven't paid attention to terrathralathreathera since he just missed banning by refusing to answer DF's question. He revealed himself as - at a minimum - a kiddie fiddler apologist.

Losonti Tokash

#11269 Post by Losonti Tokash »

buh?

Questor

#11270 Post by Questor »

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#11271 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Losonti Tokash wrote:buh?
hint: questor might not fully understand what happened in that thread

Losonti Tokash

#11272 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Why should you follow the "When in Rome" principle for cultures you have defeated and conquered?
hey uraniun i know you've already got a quote of julhelm being worthless but this stuck out as worthy of reminding people about too :v

Questor

#11273 Post by Questor »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:buh?
hint: questor might not fully understand what happened in that thread
Which thread?

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#11274 Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dunno why he's being brought up, but it's worth mentioning that Terralthra is a dishonest fuck who would claim that his shit doesn't stink even if he was sitting next to you with an ecrusted load in his pants with a cloud of flies around him.

Questor

#11275 Post by Questor »

Because someone said he said something stupid, and I said I ignored him as worthless since the loli incident.