The Return of Testing Chat Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Manus Dei

Re: The Return of Testing Chat Thread

#1826 Post by Manus Dei »

Aaron wrote:I'm not going to stop eating meat, that's a non starter. But thanks to Straha I'll be more aware of what I buy. Or we'll just go to hunting for meat. One or two deer (or a bear) is enough for a year for us. And at least I'll know it didn't stand in it's own shit or have it's beak lopped off.
You eat bears? Welp, time for another addition to the list.

Reasons to be terrified of Canadians #5394: they devour bear flesh for sustenance.
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1827 Post by Aaron »

Well they are a walking pile of delicious fat.

Manus Dei

#1828 Post by Manus Dei »

They are BEARS! Nature's Hate Engine!
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1829 Post by Aaron »

Aww...black bears are natures big lovable cowards.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1831 Post by Aaron »

Yup. still wouldn't go into grizzly or polar bear territory without a rifle though. neither are particularly scared of people.

Oxymoron

#1832 Post by Oxymoron »

Pretty Hate Machine

#NIN
No.

evilsoup

#1833 Post by evilsoup »

Straha wrote: Human tastes like undercooked bacon.
good to know

thejester

#1834 Post by thejester »

I don't think I could ever hunt bear. They're too awesome.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1835 Post by Aaron »

Tags here are pretty limited anyways, the black bear population in the area is fairly small.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1836 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

I just want to ride bears and/or hug them. My brain registers them as giant dogs.

The Spartan

#1837 Post by The Spartan »

Okay, I've been stupid busy the past few days so sorry for jumping in/lateness of my reply/etc.

Straha: Thanks, that answered my question.

Civil War Man: Sweet! Are ya'll able to legally distill things there? I think I can get the equipment here (well, halfway across the state), but that it's technically illegal. Any idea what you might try next?

Civil War Man

#1838 Post by Civil War Man »

I don't know the laws regarding distilling here, but applejack is actually distilled by freezing, which is not the least bit dangerous and would honestly only ever become illegal either accidentally or in laws that try to prevent any form of home brewing.

Next is probably going to be mead. I just need to pick up some extra equipment to make the work a bit easier and shop around for honey. I want to use all local sources, but when it comes to honey that gets really expensive, especially since a 5 gallon batch uses anywhere between 10-18 pounds of it.

Straha
Lecturer

#1839 Post by Straha »

I made mead in my college dorm with a friend.

Good times.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1840 Post by adr »

Amazon SES has improved a lot over the last year. I went from really hating it to now kinda liking it. Actually living up to its name "simple" now.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Civil War Man

#1841 Post by Civil War Man »

Straha wrote:I made mead in my college dorm with a friend.

Good times.
Yeah. Now that I'm doing it, it feels weird that I didn't think to start brewing earlier. I think part of it is my dislike for wine and beer.

This is actually a good place to do it. New England has a pretty long bootlegging tradition. And there are actually several decently-sized wineries on the island where I live. Even though we have a really short growing season, our summers are so humid that it's good grape-growing weather.

Doing it with all local ingredients does limit what kinds of stuff I can brew. This is good potato country, but I'm not hardcore enough to start making vodkas yet. Mead's probably my best bet, since I have a friend who's a mazer so I already know that I like it.

Oxymoron

#1842 Post by Oxymoron »

So, on another site I mentioned that they are doing a World War Z movie, a big dumb one with Brad Pitt.

Cue nerd rage about how unrealistic WWZ is and how mankind would have totally kicked zombie asses if it happened IRL.

>captainobvious.gif
>missingthepoint.txt
No.

evilsoup

#1843 Post by evilsoup »

Why do people say WWZ is unrealistic (well, apart from the obvious :v )? Is it because the military is incompetent? Or something more than that?

Oxymoron

#1844 Post by Oxymoron »

Incompetent military, yes, but also "high explosives don't work like that" / "I don't care they die only if you destroy the brain, if all their internal organs are turned into ketchup they shouldn't be able to move at all" / "with our cultural over-exposition to zombies people wouldn't be taken by surprise so much" / etc...
No.

Oxymoron

#1845 Post by Oxymoron »

It doesn't help that Max Brooks (the author) explicitly state in the preface of the book, I think, that he did research and that it is SUPPOSED to be realistic.

I think he would have had less problem if he said fuck it and concentrated on the human elements and left the exact "how" as vague as possible.
No.

evilsoup

#1846 Post by evilsoup »

weren't the descriptions of high explosives given by an infantry soldier like twenty years after the fact, within the book :psyduck:

lol the second two are explicitly dealt with in the book IIRC

That he said that the book was supposed to be 'realistic' sort of set himself up for that kind of whining, I guess

Oxymoron

#1847 Post by Oxymoron »

Pretty much all of that, yes.

The only valid criticism is Max Brooks apparently thinking that it IS realistic.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1848 Post by Aaron »

*shrug* most movies, games and books get the lethality of modern weapons wrong. If the story is interesting then it shouldn't matter.

evilsoup

#1849 Post by evilsoup »

in my experience, complaints about something being 'unrealistic' are 99% of the time just picking at unimportant bullshit details

Agent Bert Macklin

#1850 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Aaron wrote:*shrug* most movies, games and books get the lethality of modern weapons wrong. If the story is interesting then it shouldn't matter.
I think I should show you this sniping scene from Miami Vice (the movie). I'd like your opinion on it. A guy shoots up a car with a .50 caliber rifle (I think). Unfortunately, it's not on Youtube.