The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
RogueIce
#YOLO

Re: The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

#301 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:Good, but they're still fucking rushing it.

This should've been a four parter
Yes. Take away one of those damn droid episodes. Ah well, we're getting a four parter focusing on Ahsoka next, so that should be good.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#302 Post by Phantasee »

House of Cards is pretty good.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Losonti Tokash

#303 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Yeah, I watched the first few episodes last night. I love what a gigantic bastard Underwood is and they still have you rooting for him.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#304 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Losonti Tokash wrote:he was bisected at the waist and fell down a reactor shaft, bouncing off all kinds of shit on the way down, and lived
He now has robot legs

And literally a thousand times the facial animation of any other character

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#305 Post by Zablorg »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Yeah, I watched the first few episodes last night. I love what a gigantic bastard Underwood is and they still have you rooting for him.
it was a hell of an awkward silence that one time i misremembered "yes minister" as house of cards

Losonti Tokash

#306 Post by Losonti Tokash »

is that the name of the original show

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#307 Post by Zablorg »

well yes minister is an australian political comedy in which a minister's lackeys try to subtly wrestle control of stuff from him

so it's a bit different as you might imagine

Straha
Lecturer

#308 Post by Straha »

Yes, Minister was British, not Australian. It was hilarious and well worth watching though it loses its humor after the first watch through.

The original series was also called House of Cards and it is one of my absolute favorites. Ian Richardson is phenomenal, the supporting cast is excellent, and it's really British Miniseries at its best. It's also why I've been hesitant to watch the new series because I love the old one so much.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

weemadando

#309 Post by weemadando »

The thread about Chris Kyle being shot is the perfect example of why the "citizens with guns is the only way to prevent more shootings" argument is total fucking bullshit.

Because as this incident clearly shows, even a highly trained and experienced special forces veteran AT A GODDAMN SHOOTING RANGE was unable to stop it. Nor were any of the other presumably armed people at the goddamn shooting range.

weemadando

#310 Post by weemadando »

Straha wrote:Yes, Minister was British, not Australian. It was hilarious and well worth watching though it loses its humor after the first watch through.
There was a recent Australian version of Yes, Minister for the stage. The Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister UK series remain the height of political satire though.

The Hollow Men was a decent modern Aussie take on the genre though:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8ZisH2IYI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i8GCU5YRSiY

The best running joke (as a public servant myself) is how every week the two senior public servants are now running another department.

weemadando

#311 Post by weemadando »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9EyxAtKmWOQ
You can bet we talked about this one A LOT at work after it aired.

Straha
Lecturer

#312 Post by Straha »

Well then. Something new to torrent.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Jung

#313 Post by Jung »

Straha wrote:There is this mindset in the 'animal liberation' community that is just reprehensible that everything has to come second to the saving of animals no matter what the cost in perception.
I'd think if you were trying to convince people to eat less meat perception would be a pretty high priority. I mean, wouldn't you cause more animal death/suffering by being bad at PR and failing to spread your message with maximum effectiveness?

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#314 Post by Nietzslime »

The 'everything else must be second and thus we will do shitty things for the cause' I understand.

Think of it like the Communists who argued against co-operation with the social democrats.

In a certain mindset, that kind of stick-to-your-guns Rorschach no-compromise integrity has a very real logic behind it, but I suspect it's mostly the romantic appeal that brings people to it.

How that kind of mindset leads to cheap, crass advertisements appealing to the lowest common denominator, though, is a disconnect I have much more trouble following.
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

Aaron
El Duderino

#315 Post by Aaron »

weemadando wrote:The thread about Chris Kyle being shot is the perfect example of why the "citizens with guns is the only way to prevent more shootings" argument is total fucking bullshit.

Because as this incident clearly shows, even a highly trained and experienced special forces veteran AT A GODDAMN SHOOTING RANGE was unable to stop it. Nor were any of the other presumably armed people at the goddamn shooting range.
Another gun control thread? Ugh.

Gands

#316 Post by Gands »

Yeah, it's about to happen again.

It's weird to have people posting agenda driven articles. Like when friendly guy posts articles that relate to people's criticisms of China.

Aaron
El Duderino

#317 Post by Aaron »

Aaron wrote:
weemadando wrote:The thread about Chris Kyle being shot is the perfect example of why the "citizens with guns is the only way to prevent more shootings" argument is total fucking bullshit.

Another gun control thread? Ugh.
Actually, can you do me a favour and keep your usual POV out of the thread for a bit? I want to see if we can have a serious discussion on mental health and gun ownership before all the Yanks get upset and start waving that stupid snake flag.

Gands

#318 Post by Gands »

A decorated veteran was shot while helping other veterans. It would take a miracle for the thread not to be a clusterfuck.

Of course, I'd be happy to be wrong.

Aaron
El Duderino

#319 Post by Aaron »

Yeah, I imagine we'll get the usual shit.

Gands

#320 Post by Gands »

Yeah. I find myself caring less and less about TEO.

Rather than have EPIC DEBATING, I'd rather have a relaxed conversation with you guys. More is accomplished. My views on gun control have softened massively since I started discussing it with Aaron and reading your discussions. On TEO it's more about picking a side, digging in and hoping heavyweight posters jump in on your side.

Aaron
El Duderino

#321 Post by Aaron »

It's harder for me here to use the boards nature to reinforce my beliefs. I respect and like all of you guys here, so you don't get reduced to just debate targets.

Gands

#322 Post by Gands »

I think a big part of it is that conceding a discussion isn't a big thing. If we go at one another for a few pages, an eventual concession won't result in macho posturing bullshit.

Oxymoron

#323 Post by Oxymoron »

I've noted, personnally, that the way things are discussed on SDN, result in the "opposite" side of the discussion being more or less systematically de-humanized : "If you don't think like me, you're wrong, and if you're wrong you don't deserve any respect".

By the way, the "wrong" = "not worthy of respect" thing seems to be a big part of the culture other there.
No.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#324 Post by Phantasee »

I don't respect most of you so fuck you you're all wrong
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#325 Post by Phantasee »

Shit no wait maybe you're right, my bad