The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
artemas

Re: The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

#926 Post by artemas »

Phantasee wrote:historical animosity towards muslims

and the more i learned about it the less i liked them as a people

a few attempted genocides kinda sour you on the idea of friendly relations

but i don't let it affect my interactions with muslims because i don't really feel anyone alive today, here and now is really responsible for the actions of people who weren't even their ancestors given the wide geographic spread of islam
dude

at some point you need to let that shit go

i mean

imagine if all canadians had the same feelings for sikhs because of Air India

distrust is what creates these highly insular cultures that treat outsiders as the other, and in turn are also treated as outsiders

thejester

#927 Post by thejester »

man I did lol when my first taxi driver in the states was a sikh, and he had a pamphlet that explained sikh religion, culture etc

and also basically said 'we are not muslims, so please direct your hate crimes towards the appropriate group and not us'

and then I was all 'so follow cricket?'

and he was all 'no'

and I was all 'fuck me I must have found the only Indian in the world who doesn't want to talk about cricket'

timmy

#928 Post by timmy »

thejester wrote:and I was all 'fuck me I must have found the only Indian in the world who doesn't want to talk about cricket'
:D
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

RogueIce
#YOLO

#929 Post by RogueIce »

I've never understood the people who want to force others to drink alcohol.

I've also never understood the people who are all "I don't drink :smug: " like this makes them a better person than those who do.

Zod
perkele

#930 Post by Zod »

I've never understood the people who like to play martyr when you rib them about not drinking.

Gands

#931 Post by Gands »

RogueIce wrote:I've never understood the people who want to force others to drink alcohol.
I think it's something to do with drinking being one of society's social rituals. Visible nonparticipation makes some people uncomfortable.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#932 Post by Darksi4190 »

Ugh. Looks like i'm going to be up all night putting the finishing touches on this essay. I just can't get my thoughts together correctly. Everything's just a jumble in my head and I just start procrastinating almost by instinct. I shouldn't have a tab open to this forum right now, but I just can't stop myself from wasting time. I try to concentrate and I just can't.

I think my ADD is getting worse. The Effexor really didn't help, but maybe it's time to see the doc again and try to find a medicine that will.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#933 Post by adr »

i don't drink at all nor do i eat pork

but i'm not circumcised

explain that lol
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

joviwan

#934 Post by joviwan »

I don't know of an appropriate place to put this, but it made me laugh.

http://imgur.com/gallery/jAUDTHf

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#935 Post by RyanThunder »

Gands wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I've never understood the people who want to force others to drink alcohol.
I think it's something to do with drinking being one of society's social rituals. Visible nonparticipation makes some people uncomfortable.
I've got a few cases of what amounts to "What, you don't feel a need to get blackout drunk and forget the entire evening? Why not? Don't you want to have fun? :|"

timmy

#936 Post by timmy »

Drinking culture in this country is a terrifyingly destructive force, and I don't know whether it's just that it didn't used to be talked about or that kids these days are fuckwits, but jesus is alcohol related violence on the upper. Everyone knows someone affected.

-thejester

RogueIce
#YOLO

#937 Post by RogueIce »

joviwan wrote:I don't know of an appropriate place to put this, but it made me laugh.

http://imgur.com/gallery/jAUDTHf
Now I want one. :(
Gands wrote:
Perhaps.

I've got nothing against drinking, though I do it rarely. But a good buzz, every now and again, and with the proper crowd/in the proper environment, can be pretty fun.

I don't drink to get drunk, though. That's only happened twice. The first was because it was my first time drinking and didn't know my limits, which I suppose is fairly common. The second was because I was having drinks that someone else made, and they didn't taste that strong, and I didn't think they were that strong...but holy shit were they that strong.

Luckily I did keep myself moderated on that one, so I got plastered but not wasted. And I am proud to say I've never had a hangover. :cheers:

Oxymoron

#938 Post by Oxymoron »

Muslims are approximatively a fifth of the French population, and are over-represented among my co-workers, so I don't have much choice as far as trusting them goes. :v

This doesn't stop a number of them being assholes, but pretty much in the same proportions as the rest of the population.
No.

Stofsk

#939 Post by Stofsk »

My brother insisted I share a beer with him for my birthday. I initially didn't want to, because I don't like beer at all, but I thought I might as well have one to shut him up. On NYE I got drunk for the first time in years, almost certainly because I had lower tolerances as a result of that abstention. Although it didn't actually result in my getting a hangover, I felt bad about it for other reasons. This time around though I didn't feel pressured to drink from someone else.
timmy wrote:Drinking culture in this country is a terrifyingly destructive force, and I don't know whether it's just that it didn't used to be talked about or that kids these days are fuckwits, but jesus is alcohol related violence on the upper. Everyone knows someone affected.
Drinking culture is one of those things that society likes to tolerate in the older members but frowns upon the younger you are, which is why the media loves ragging on about those kids being drunken fuckwits. I'd be willing to bet that kids twenty, thirty, forty years ago and even longer, were just as violently rambunctious but it wasn't reported or talked about.

Remember, as a general rule, the crime rate has actually fallen consistently over the last few decades, outside of the occasional outliers and spikes. But you wouldn't know it if you tuned in to Today Tonight or ACA. Even so, if the kids today are getting stupidly drunk, my first thought falls on why their parents either allow it or don't do anything about it.

timmy

#940 Post by timmy »

I should note that I love getting blitzed with friends and having a good time, but unlike ten years ago when that was every weekend, it's more like two or three times a year.

Then there are the people I know my age that still feel like it's a weekend wasted if they haven't spent half of it in painful regret. Those people are almost always unmarried and/or childless.

You know what I'd love to do every weekend? Fucking gigs. It's a party, it's fun, I punch a few beers as we go, but remain sober enough to drive the van home :v

-thejester

timmy

#941 Post by timmy »

Anders and I have a mutual friend who shares my name and is kept on a leash by his wife because when he drinks, the party is a 7.8 on the richter scale epicentred on him. Anders, I understand, was much the same in uni days... But he's got a three year old. /anecdote

-thejester

weemadando

#942 Post by weemadando »

Said mutual friend is also directly responsible for at least two of the occasions on which I have almost died/had to run for my life.

timmy

#943 Post by timmy »

Why are we still friends with this guy?

Because when he's not drinking, he's an intelligent, amiable, cultured person. In summary, he owes his wife the life debt of their marriage for keeping him straight and narrow enough to be a productive member of society.

-thejester

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#944 Post by Nietzslime »

i feel it is sound to exploit this period of my life wherein i basically never get hangovers and so those days of painful regret after drinking do not take place while i still have the privilege

because people keep telling me it's going to end
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

weemadando

#945 Post by weemadando »

Well, in my case we're not really anymore. Him being a housemate with my now wife, then girlfriend made things a bit awkward for a while and we sort of lost touch. Not that no longer risking going over a cliff from a carpark on College Hill or other shenanigans/petty student prank related larceny aren't missed.

weemadando

#946 Post by weemadando »

Nietzslime wrote:i feel it is sound to exploit this period of my life wherein i basically never get hangovers and so those days of painful regret after drinking do not take place while i still have the privilege

because people keep telling me it's going to end
I remember those times. I'd drink a staggering amount, then somehow pull up fine the next day (sheer size, plus obscene quantities of water helped).

Then I got glandular fever and during liver function test as part of that I was told I had the liver of a middle aged alcoholic. Thank god those recover eh? And that glandular was at least partially responsible for it being so fucked at the time.

Questor

#947 Post by Questor »

I'm perhaps a bit interesting. I have no moral/ethical issues with drinking, but I have a huge one with drinking and driving. I straight up won't drink when I'm driving.

Due to the fact that I live in southern California, this results in my drinking being rather light, and mostly limited to when I travel abroad. It's funny, I've very rarely had pressure once I say I don't drink and drive. I get more pressure if I say "I don't drink."

To sum up, it seems that at least in my peer group the social pressure to drink has been overcome by the social issues with drunk driving.

evilsoup

#948 Post by evilsoup »

I punch a few beers as we go, but remain sober enough to drive the van home
:colbert:
timmy I hope you're joking

RogueIce
#YOLO

#949 Post by RogueIce »

Depending on A) how many beers he has and B) how long the night is, he may not be doing anything dangerous.

timmy

#950 Post by timmy »

Yeah I'm pretty sure three or four beers in five hours is gonna be okay.

-thejester