Lament 3: Cry Hard With A Vengeance

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Civil War Man

Re: Lament 3: Cry Hard With A Vengeance

#501 Post by Civil War Man »

Windows 8 was designed with tablets in mind, and the UI makes a lot more sense when using it with a touchscreen.

The reason so many people (including me) dislike it is because touchscreen computers are still relatively rare, and what works well for touchscreens often doesn't for regular desktops and vice versa.

It's a perfectly functional OS, so it's not like it's the new Vista or anything. But Windows 7 is also perfectly functional, and it doesn't have a hundred petty little annoyances that crop up in a standard mouse and keyboard setup.

The Spartan

#502 Post by The Spartan »

timmy wrote:We've already established on this board that only proles work with the public.
Which I don't.

Thank fuck...

Stofsk

#503 Post by Stofsk »

weemadando wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Oh. My. God. Adult education with mature age students is the fucking pits.
There is a reason that the mature age student is the most despised of all students by the rest.

Especially *those* ones who feel their accumulated life knowledge in other fields somehow trumps the professor's peer acknowledged expertise.
Yeah the know-it-alls who obviously don't know shit are unbelievable. There was this loudmouth Australian Greek woman who had lived in Greece for the last few years and came back and complained about how Australia is so backwards (she was talking about how many tertiary qualifications aren't accepted here). The teacher sort of jokingly opened the door for her. I nearly told her how full of shit she was.

Count Chocula
Liberal

#504 Post by Count Chocula »

RogueIce wrote:Re: Windows 8 and Shutdown

Change for the sake of change is not always better. And just dismissively going "you're an idiot" and "lol fatty nerds fear change" is not much of a rebuttal at all.

So the question comes down to why did they add extra steps to the shutdown procedure? If you can't come up with an answer for that, maybe you shouldn't be a smug jackass toward people who say they don't like it.
All you have to do is push the power button. Instant off.
"We've already had this discussion before. I treated you of barbaric caveman then." - Oxymoron

"He killed 80 people in 2 days"
"...he's adopted." - The Avengers

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#505 Post by Nietzslime »

haha, looks like i will be homeless for a while

this is going to be an adventure
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

weemadando

#506 Post by weemadando »

What's going on?

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#507 Post by Nietzslime »

my roommate/landlord is a difficult and demanding person to live with literally satan

i knew my difficulties with him were getting worse for a while now so since november i've been looking intermittently for other places to live, unfortunately to no avail

but things came to a head today in a manner i don't feel the need to go into

so as of tomorrow i'm clearing out my apartment of those objects i think i'll need to put in storage at a friend's place, putting a couchsurfing duffel together, and i'll see how long i can survive off the baffling kindness of the few friends i have in this town

it's only for two months until I go back to sask for the summer and a few friends have already offered to put me up, so i'm hopeful that between that and my ability to forebear on them a little longer than normal by paying my way in the form of chores/ boon companionship/ actual money i should be all right

i've never been a transient before so i like to think of this as a learning experience and opportunity for stories down the road more than a hardship

but hey if some nights i end up sleeping on the seventh floor of the uni library on a pillow made of a hoodie stuffed with t-shirts that's cool too

can't get too comfortable you know

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#508 Post by RyanThunder »

Best of luck to you.

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#509 Post by Nietzslime »

incidentally these activities tomorrow will provide me with an excuse to miss that craig lecture i mentioned that until now i felt honour-bound to go to after meeting some of the organizers to voice my concerns and shit

so really my problems solve each other quite neatly*

*except that an outrageous bigot is still being given a platform at my school and i am a vagrant now

Oxymoron

#510 Post by Oxymoron »

I'm not sure what's worse... Having to find a warm place to sleep, or having to find a place to bath / take a shower.
No.

Ralin

#511 Post by Ralin »

Oxymoron wrote:I'm not sure what's worse... Having to find a warm place to sleep, or having to find a place to bath / take a shower.
Sleep.

And not just warm. Quiet. Housing shelters can be really damned hard to sleep in.

Friend of mine just got off over a year and a half of being homeless back in August, and that was the part she hated most, near as I can tell.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#512 Post by Phantasee »

I like your attitude dude. Life's an adventure.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Oxymoron

#513 Post by Oxymoron »

But I can't seem to find a save point.
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#514 Post by RogueIce »

Save scumming is highly discouraged in the game of life, bro.

Oxymoron

#515 Post by Oxymoron »

But how am I supposed to see all the endings and try all the classes then ???
No.

Oxymoron

#516 Post by Oxymoron »

So apparently since a few hours ago I have a new niece.
No.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#517 Post by Darksi4190 »

congratulations to whichever of your siblings has managed to spawn.

Oxymoron

#518 Post by Oxymoron »

Well, the good new is that both the mother (my sister, N°2 of 3) and the kid are okay so far.

The bad new is that the kid is at least two month early (edit : she was awaited for the 10th of May). So there's still opportunities for things to go bad...

Everything is supposedly under control, but I cannot help being worried.
No.

timmy

#519 Post by timmy »

That's really bad news if this was before 1985, but with modern healthcare, the prospects are good. Congratulations to your family!
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Aaron
El Duderino

#520 Post by Aaron »

Congrats!

And try not to worry dude. My mother was a neonatal RN for 30 years, it's amazing what they can do to keep them healthy.

Bounty

#521 Post by Bounty »

2 months is perfectly viable. No worries.

I like my flatmates generally, but I fucking hate it they end their Friday-night benders at 6AM in our apartment with their drinking buddies. My door lock's busted so I woke up when a shitfaced guy decided he wanted to crash in my bed, the elevator's a disgusting mess, they spent an hour waiting on the McDonalds delivery guy listening to one guy play the one song he knows on the guitar, and I think someone set off a fire extinguisher.
People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.

timmy

#522 Post by timmy »

Did you have to get up this morning for work?

-thejester

Bounty

#523 Post by Bounty »

Fortunately no, but I was looking forward to getting a decent night's sleep.
People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.

xon

#524 Post by xon »

RyanThunder wrote:Again, I don't mean to sound snide, but you could just use the windows key, couldn't you?
Windows key is only capture in fullscreen mode direct to the VM. RDP in RDP this fails, windowed mode this fails, multi-monitors is a fucking pain in the ass because the cursor to travels to another monitor. This fails epically if you have it fullscreen on the a right-ish monitor and are trying to hit the hotcorner on the left side with another monitor to the 'left' of it.

Basicly, someone completely forgot how to make Windows 8/Windows Server 2012 work properly with thier remote desktop product.

timmy

#525 Post by timmy »

Bounty wrote:Fortunately no, but I was looking forward to getting a decent night's sleep.
Got a song here for you

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O0QfxssT_NU

-thejester