Share your favorite Star Wars memories

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Share your favorite Star Wars memories

#26 Post by Darksi4190 »

I played a few rounds back on the old MSN "zone" thing, but I didn't really get into online multiplayer until fairly recently

RogueIce
#YOLO

#27 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:I played a few rounds back on the old MSN "zone" thing, but I didn't really get into online multiplayer until fairly recently
Jedi Knight introduced me to online gaming.

The MSN Gaming Zone (where I played JK) introduced me to Internet Drama. :v

Oxymoron

#28 Post by Oxymoron »

The music of the alien bar from the very beginning (if you can call that 5 second loop "music") is forever burned into my memory.

Come to think of it, man that game had great music. Though it got repetitive after a bit...

Also, if there's a thing I learned from JK, it's that Bottomless Pits are as integral a part of Star Wars as Lightsabers. :v
No.

Oxymoron

#29 Post by Oxymoron »

Illustration (about the music & bottomless pits :v ) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTnc_fFx8ug
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#30 Post by RogueIce »

I loved the Cantina music!

Anyway yeah, the music was good because it was basically taken from the SW soundtrack. I don't think they made any original music, just cleverly edited it all together. Which IMO worked.
Oxymoron wrote:Also, if there's a thing I learned from JK, it's that Bottomless Pits are as integral a part of Star Wars as Lightsabers. :v
The fun part was when you actually hit the bottom of the bottomless pits sometimes, because the "fade to death" wasn't quite quick enough...

Anyway I loved the level where you first get into Baron's Hed, and you have to save (or not save) the various civilians who are being attacked by the thugs. That was pretty cool and made me feel very Jedi-y to wade in with a lightsaber and defend the innocent.

Also they had Max hidden away in there, which was awesome.

Oxymoron

#31 Post by Oxymoron »

Baron's Hed ? What level was that ?

And who's that Max you'r talking about ?

Maaaan, it must have been, like, five years since I last played that game, and I only remember the gameplay. I admit to having never paid attention to the story :v
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#32 Post by RogueIce »

Oxymoron wrote:Baron's Hed ? What level was that ?
That shitty little town you go to after getting the lightsaber, right before you enter the big Imperial Fortress place.
And who's that Max you'r talking about ?
From another LucasArts game, Sam & Max Hit the Road.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#33 Post by RogueIce »

Oxymoron

#34 Post by Oxymoron »

Ah, yes, that's what Ithought.

I didn't remember it as a "shitty town", given the sheer size of the Imperial base it hosted.
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#35 Post by RogueIce »

Oxymoron wrote:Ah, yes, that's what Ithought.

I didn't remember it as a "shitty town", given the sheer size of the Imperial base it hosted oppressing them.
ftfy :v

Oxymoron

#36 Post by Oxymoron »

But seriously, the thing that I remember the most from JK is these fucking bottomless pits. They were everywhere.

Given I didn't understand what the story was about at the time I used to think the first level was on a space station or something like that... Made me hate it (when you don't understand what the hell you're supposed to do and where you're supposed to go... good thing I was using god mode :v ).

What marked me was the difference in tone between the first few levels, and the later ones. Almost thought I was playing a different game - the big rupture being the level where the hero is in the house of his daddy or whatever (was he powering his installation through a giant lead-acid battery ???? ).

And let's not talk about the last level...
No.

thejester

#37 Post by thejester »

I was 7 or 8 first time I saw the trilogy; watched them in one sitting. I still remember vividly the feeling of dread that the boarding of the Tantive IV created. So that, and:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AW8yk_eIHJU

Darksi4190

#38 Post by Darksi4190 »

I think Dark Forces was either the second or third SW game I ever played. The first was Rebel Assault. Then when Rebel Assault II came out, my grandfather got it for me for Christmas, but our PC didn't have enough RAM to play it, so my dad had to go out and get what I think was a 4MB ram stick, or maybe it was a chip, I'm not sure how you added RAM to a PC back in those days. It ended up really pissing my dad off, because he had to spend quite a lot of money to upgrade the PC.

Manus Dei

#39 Post by Manus Dei »

timmy wrote:Hell yeah Veef I'm with you on that Red Leader

Also this might not count towards the thread but before the rancor was revealed in the Jabba's Palace act of RotJ, I thought(as did my sisters) that the dancing girl had been dropped into a room where she was shrunk, then conveyed to Jabba's snack bowl, where he ate her.
for years as a kid i thought darth vader's name was dark radar
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

joviwan

#40 Post by joviwan »

Manus Dei wrote:
timmy wrote:Hell yeah Veef I'm with you on that Red Leader

Also this might not count towards the thread but before the rancor was revealed in the Jabba's Palace act of RotJ, I thought(as did my sisters) that the dancing girl had been dropped into a room where she was shrunk, then conveyed to Jabba's snack bowl, where he ate her.
for years as a kid i thought darth vader's name was dark radar
For years as a kid, I could never identify who that guy was down in the garbage smashers shouting at C3P0, or why he suddenly disappeared after the scene. I was that special age of young where things like 'being wet and slicking your hair back' transformed you into an entirely different human being.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#41 Post by Big Orangutan »

Me seeing the Special Edition of A New Hope with my dad; when we left the cinema we were going on about how primitive looking the Death Star's controls were. :lol:
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

weemadando

#42 Post by weemadando »

LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace. Best SW product in years and years.

Civil War Man

#43 Post by Civil War Man »

joviwan wrote:For years as a kid, I could never identify who that guy was down in the garbage smashers shouting at C3P0, or why he suddenly disappeared after the scene. I was that special age of young where things like 'being wet and slicking your hair back' transformed you into an entirely different human being.
As a kid I thought that Stormtrooper armor basically drained you to the point where if you wore it long enough you'd die without it, because Stormtrooper armor had a vaguely similar look to Darth Vader's armor, and Vader died soon after his mask was removed.

joviwan

#44 Post by joviwan »

The deductions kids make from interpretation of observed evidence can be pretty fascinating.

Civil War Man

#45 Post by Civil War Man »

It certainly gave the middle of ANH an extra sense of urgency.

At the time it never occurred to me that the armors served entirely different functions because they never referred to Vader's injuries in the movies.

Sandman

#46 Post by Sandman »

I think for me it was seeing the film for the first time. It was a last viewing of the British television release on Sky Movies Gold back when I was about eight or so. Maybe a year after, the full special edition trilogy was released on video and I was hooked as a Star Wars fan after watching them. After that I remember playing many of the games, with my favourite almost certainly being Jedi Knight and its companion game Mysteries of the Sith.

Hell, I recently sought those out and bought them on Steam.

Darksi4190

#47 Post by Darksi4190 »

Have they released the X-wing games on Steam yet? I know there were plans to at some point.

Sandman

#48 Post by Sandman »

Darksi4190 wrote:Have they released the X-wing games on Steam yet? I know there were plans to at some point.
They weren't there the last time I checked. Though I will be a very happy man if they ever do release the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games on Steam.

Darksi4190

#49 Post by Darksi4190 »

So someone just linked me to a TFN article that says Lucasarts might be shutting down. I have to say i'm kind of torn about that. On the one hand, I have tons of great memories playing many of the awesome SW games they put out in years past, on the other, Lucasarts has been in a significant slump lately. TFU was their last "big" release, and even that game was only mediocre. TFUII was an utter failure, and TOR is really BioWare's baby, with little or no input from them. I was hoping that Star Wars 1313 would be good enough to drag them out of their slump, but with that being cancelled, there really aren't any decent prospects for a good SW game on the horizon.

Aaron
El Duderino

#50 Post by Aaron »

Produce Call of Duty: Assault on Planet Hoth.