Lament 3: Cry Hard With A Vengeance

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Akhlut

Re: Lament 3: Cry Hard With A Vengeance

#851 Post by Akhlut »

Whee! Quickly approaching 4 months of unemployment!

Now, why won't someone give me a fucking job? :sun:

Aaron
El Duderino

#852 Post by Aaron »

And today is the start of the 96th anniversary of Vimy Ridge. I used to think it was a great moment in our history, now I just see 10,062 dead and mangled men. And a dead empire.

Oxymoron

#853 Post by Oxymoron »

War. What kind of bullshit is it ?
No.

timmy

#854 Post by timmy »

And the old men march slowly, old bones stiff and sore.
They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war
And the young people ask, what are they marching for?
And I ask myself the same question.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

The Spartan

#855 Post by The Spartan »

And to think there are people clamoring for a war RIGHTNOW! because a pathetic little tin pot dictator is mouthing off.

evilsoup

#856 Post by evilsoup »

...is anyone clamouring for a war? Excluding HPCA, of course

The Spartan

#857 Post by The Spartan »

More or less. I've heard anything from we should "zero dark thirty" Kim (as if it's that easy and *won't* precipitate a war...) to we should bomb him to we should just invade them and the NK citizens, inspired, will rise up in righteous anger against their oppressor to we should preemptively nuke North Korea.

Others have been the voice of reason in some form or another from too many civilian casualties to we're not the world's policeman to we just can't afford another war, etc.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#858 Post by adr »

i just saw a post on the fb comment "sounds good to me"

the pic said "nk wanted nukes so we sent them one of our's"

which actually brings up a good point. allow me to quote some scripture
Matthew 7:3 wrote: And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Zod
perkele

#859 Post by Zod »

The Spartan wrote:More or less. I've heard anything from we should "zero dark thirty" Kim (as if it's that easy and *won't* precipitate a war...) to we should bomb him to we should just invade them and the NK citizens, inspired, will rise up in righteous anger against their oppressor to we should preemptively nuke North Korea.

Others have been the voice of reason in some form or another from too many civilian casualties to we're not the world's policeman to we just can't afford another war, etc.
I'm sure China would be totally fine with sitting back and letting that happen.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#860 Post by RogueIce »

adr wrote:allow me to quote some scripture
Matthew 7:3 wrote: And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
damn fundie moron :argh:

adr

#861 Post by adr »

IF LOVING JESUS IS WRONG I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT

Losonti Tokash

#862 Post by Losonti Tokash »

So our incumbent could've done better, but our other two candidates kicked ass. All three are still in the race, so here's hoping 3 for 3.

>:3

#863 Post by >:3 »

adr wrote:IF LOVING JESUS IS WRONG I DON'T WANNA BE RIGHT

oh man the non-logged-in word filters at something awful really mess with my ability to properly parse posts on other boards sometimes
>:3

The Spartan

#864 Post by The Spartan »

Zod wrote:I'm sure China would be totally fine with sitting back and letting that happen.
I know....

To say nothing of Russia.

And I'm sure it's quite ethical of us to let fallout rain down upon our allies the South Koreans. And the only country on Earth to have ever been nuked and who are now also our allies.

weemadando

#865 Post by weemadando »

The Spartan wrote:More or less. I've heard anything from we should "zero dark thirty" Kim (as if it's that easy and *won't* precipitate a war...)
Wow, but I guess those people probably haven't heard of the past 60 years of Korean history with the relatively common attempts by both sides to knock off each other's leadership in such a fashion.

But hey, ignorance breeds more ignorance.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#866 Post by RyanThunder »

But this time would be different! :psyduck:

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#867 Post by Big Orangutan »

Even without the threat of nukes, fighting the Norks is best avoided when Kim's military is around a million strong, they're good at hiding stuff, and they seem well dug in. Kim's posturing may seem comical now but all this sabre rattling could set a tone of even deeper frostiness with outsiders. NK won't start a war now, but I'll expect a civil war eventually.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

magic princess

#868 Post by magic princess »

Taking on Kim right EVER would be so fucking absurd. It would be like Desert Storm--if we had decided to keep going to Baghdad. And the country was rugged mountains instead of flat open desert. Yeeeaaahh...

I want Kim to have nukes, I think it's the best possible thing for improving the lot of the North Korean people. I also want us to axe several Army divisions to pay for ABM interceptors so that his nukes and Iran's and whomever else's are useless against us in numbers they can afford, and we have less of a standing army to go charging off invading countries with, and put more money into the air force, missile defence, and the navy, things which actually protect America and American commerce. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing the regular Army reduced to a training cadre of about 100,000 from its current 1,000,000, available to lead the mobilization of the reserves/NG if we have had a true conflict, and we just use the Marines for peacekeeping with vast numbers of drones and aircraft to even the odds if they're outnumbered, which isn't likely since they're the size of most armies in the world in their own right.

Zod
perkele

#869 Post by Zod »

Speaking of North Korea . . . am I the only one who thinks it's funny the government's making a stink about Beyonce & Jay-Z going to Cuba as tourists because it enriches a despotic regime but everybody gave Rodman a thumbs up for going to North Korea as a tourist and enriching a despotic regime?

Oxymoron

#870 Post by Oxymoron »

Is the DPRK nominally "Communist", or do they see themselves as following the "Juche" ideology first and foremost ?

Because if it's the second, then Cuba are dirty Communists, while the DPRK is just a Disneyland Dictatorship on crack.

And this makes all the difference in the world.

One is much easier to discard as a nutcase than the other which could give subversive ideas into the heads of your citizens.
No.

weemadando

#871 Post by weemadando »

Also, because the US has some crazy idea that turning Cuba into a Pariah state on their doorstep is somehow good foreign policy.

adr

#872 Post by adr »

the dprk no longer considers themselves officially communist

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#873 Post by Nietzslime »

my life is so goddamn amazing out here and i suddenly have more friends than i know what to do with

the only concern (aside from academic stuff and abstract recurrent worries) is that it seems that when i am happy and active, as i am now, i find that i am significantly less responsible with my money than i always have been in my life

i am usually pretty good at finances and savings but i will probably be flying home with less than 100 dollars to my name

fortunately i haven't taken on any debt either

and i think i have an amazing job waiting for me for when i touch down in saskatchewan

so as usual i will continue to make impulsive decisions and rely on providence to see me through
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

Aaron
El Duderino

#874 Post by Aaron »

So I'm appyling for a medical marajuana license and I get handed this gem "For PTSD Health Canada requires a diagnosis less ten years old."

I have one from testing I did a year or so again but its just such an old fashioned concept. PTSD is for life, there isn't a cure.

I'm just going to send my entire file to the advocate, theres plenty in there to build an application on. Pain or PTSD.

Crazedwraith

#875 Post by Crazedwraith »

moving to new lodgings tomorrow. just let me panic for a second.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you