Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
RogueIce
#YOLO

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#251 Post by RogueIce »

Oxymoron wrote:Thanas, get out of Rogue's body. That's starting to get old.
No man, this is all me.

To be fair though, it's probably mostly this:
evilsoup wrote:icing needs to be used in moderation (ideally not at all), too much of it is just sickly
And I associate it more broadly with other deserts than I should.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#252 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

RogueIce wrote:I have come to realize that having more or less grown up with fast food, my tastes are such that I'll probably never go over to organic all natural food because it just won't taste good to me, and alas I'm one of those who is pretty stubbornly set in my ways so probably will never force myself to try and like it.
This is wrong, in a good way.

Five years ago I lived off fast food and junk food and I'm one of those people who thinks McDonalds tastes good somehow. But a gradual, conscious change in my diet has changed my tastes such that a lot of healthy stuff has gone from bland or distasteful to delicious and fatty, greasy, or sugary stuff now makes me feel sick.

Just remember that you don't have to sit down and decide "okay yes I am going to change my diet starting today". Just add new things to it, keep experimenting, maybe keep in mind a direction with your experiments, and you'll see a broadening of your tastes at least. Learning to cook can help a lot, too; I used to hate onions and bell peppers until I found out everyone else just prepared them a way I don't like.

evilsoup

#253 Post by evilsoup »

Aaron wrote:
evilsoup wrote:Yeah, I generally agree with that
fruit cake is delicious though
chocolate cake is also OK
icing needs to be used in moderation (ideally not at all), too much of it is just sickly
Fruit cake, as in the stuff you eat at xmas (at my house anyways)?
Well, I don't really know what you eat at your house
over here there's a specific Christmas cake that's a fruit cake + loads of alcohol

RogueIce
#YOLO

#254 Post by RogueIce »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I have come to realize that having more or less grown up with fast food, my tastes are such that I'll probably never go over to organic all natural food because it just won't taste good to me, and alas I'm one of those who is pretty stubbornly set in my ways so probably will never force myself to try and like it.

Five years ago I lived off fast food and junk food and I'm one of those people who thinks McDonalds tastes good somehow. But a gradual, conscious change in my diet has changed my tastes such that a lot of healthy stuff has gone from bland or distasteful to delicious and fatty, greasy, or sugary stuff now makes me feel sick.

Just remember that you don't have to sit down and decide "okay yes I am going to change my diet starting today". Just add new things to it, keep experimenting, maybe keep in mind a direction with your experiments, and you'll see a broadening of your tastes at least. Learning to cook can help a lot, too; I used to hate onions and bell peppers until I found out everyone else just prepared them a way I don't like.
Yeah. I mean it's not that I hate the, for lack of a better term, healthier food. When I am given it, generally when I'm visiting somewhere and somebody else is in charge of the food, I will eat it. I won't really tend to 'enjoy' it too much but I am perfectly capable of eating the meal.

Which means that, on an intellectual level, I realize that if I did try to branch out more I probably would come to like those meals, or find alternatives that I do enjoy, in much the same way I came to enjoy fast food in the first place, I'm sure.

The problem being, of course, that typically when presented with the choice of "Do I cook tonight?" (along with the preparation, shopping, cleaning, etc. that goes with it) or "Fuck it, hit the drive-thru" well...yeah. I take the easy way out. :failure:

Zod
perkele

#255 Post by Zod »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:

Case in point; in the last 8 months I've knocked off nearly 30lbs just by making changes in my diet and being more physically active. I still eat a lot of the same stuff, just significantly less than I used to.

Aaron
El Duderino

#256 Post by Aaron »

evilsoup wrote:
Aaron wrote:
evilsoup wrote:Yeah, I generally agree with that
fruit cake is delicious though
chocolate cake is also OK
icing needs to be used in moderation (ideally not at all), too much of it is just sickly
Fruit cake, as in the stuff you eat at xmas (at my house anyways)?
Well, I don't really know what you eat at your house
over here there's a specific Christmas cake that's a fruit cake + loads of alcohol
Thats the stuff.

evilsoup

#257 Post by evilsoup »

well that's delicious, but it's not really what I mean by fruit cake. Normal fruit cake doesn't contain alcohol (afaik - cakes are one of the things I don't generally bother doing myself).

Zod
perkele

#258 Post by Zod »

evilsoup wrote:Normal fruit cake doesn't contain alcohol
It should.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#259 Post by RogueIce »

Sometimes I wonder if there should be a North Korea variation of Godwin's Law.

Flagg

#260 Post by Flagg »

RogueIce wrote:Sometimes I wonder if there should be a North Korea variation of Godwin's Law.
Call it Lil' Kims Law.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Zod
perkele

#261 Post by Zod »

Flagg wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Sometimes I wonder if there should be a North Korea variation of Godwin's Law.
Call it Lil' Kims Law.
I dunno if "little" is the best word to describe him. Dude's gotta eat a few soldiers a day to keep up that body mass. :smug:

evilsoup

#262 Post by evilsoup »

a small price to pay for the honour of helping the Glorious Leader

weemadando

#263 Post by weemadando »

We try to buy our meat, dairy and eggs from local small producers or places with high standards (even if it costs twice or three times as much). Fruit and veg gets a bit harder, but we still try and keep it seasonal and local.

But there's a lot of stuff where you just don't have that option.

Flagg

#264 Post by Flagg »

Zod wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Call it Lil' Kims Law.
I dunno if "little" is the best word to describe him. Dude's gotta eat a few soldiers a day to keep up that body mass. :smug:
Dare question me?! :smugissar:
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Zod
perkele

#265 Post by Zod »

Should we start calling you Lil' Flagg?

Flagg

#266 Post by Flagg »

Zod wrote:Should we start calling you Lil' Flagg?
Yeah if you wanna taste your own severed testicles.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

timmy

#267 Post by timmy »

So we've talked about my mental health on here previously, and after a breakdown at work yesterday I finally manned up and went to see my GP. He diagnosed me with 'stress adjustment disorder', told me to take a few days off work(even with four weeks of leave beginning next week) and gave me desvenlafaxine to try for a week. If I don't go off the deep end he'll give me enough to get through the holiday, then we'll talk again.

Road to recovery. Apparently I'm going to be surprised to remember how feeling normal is.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Veef

#268 Post by Veef »

get well soon and watch cartoons!

weemadando

#269 Post by weemadando »

UH OH. About to have my precious civil rights violated. Passed a booze bus setup eastbound on Lakeside Drive (that's the F1 Track to you Phant) and will now be heading back into its clutches to return from my work errand. How long will I be delayed for? How many liberties will be quashed? What will I blow?

ALL. THIS. AND. MORE. Coming soon.

weemadando

#270 Post by weemadando »

Oh man. They waved me past and they were all full up. Boo.

Breaking news from this - stopping to wait for swans to cross the road more intrusive than random breath testing.

Losonti Tokash

#271 Post by Losonti Tokash »

i've never even had a breathalyzer

got pulled over once which consisted entirely of being asked if i'd been drinking and then waved on

Zod
perkele

#272 Post by Zod »

I had 3 separate cops ask me if I'd been drinking once. Told them to just give me a breathalyzer or quit asking and they decided I wasn't drinking after all. Fun times.

magic princess

#273 Post by magic princess »

The point, Ando, is that the right to set up checkpoints to control population movement sets a terrible precedent in a free society. And yes, I goddamned well would rather have a somewhat higher risk of death than live in a society with more social controls. I like being left alone by the government, and so do most Americans. There's plenty of evidence the checkpoints aren't effective, anyway, but I see you couldn't resist a bit of baiting. Oh well, I suppose that's fair; I can't resist getting snippish about it.

Losonti Tokash

#274 Post by Losonti Tokash »

right to set up checkpoints to control population movement sets a terrible precedent in a free society
1) that's not what they do
2) no it doesn't

Aaron
El Duderino

#275 Post by Aaron »

Oh for fucks sake, here we go with the woo-woo.