Trek Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Re: Trek Thread

#926 Post by adr »

whoa something just happened that i thought was impossible:

someone mentioned a TNG episode ("dark page").... and i don't remember it

like at all. not the episode, not the story... it is possible this is an episode i have never even actually seen

i thought i knew all the tng episodes pretty well so this is a bit of a shock
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Bounty

#927 Post by Bounty »

The one with Troi's mom going bananas over repressed trauma?
People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.

adr

#928 Post by adr »

yeah. i'll have to watch it later since i had to wikipedia it

Darth Tedious

#929 Post by Darth Tedious »

Don't do it, Adam

You're ignoring the underlying themes of the episode (which you totally have seen before)

If you watch it again you'll unleash all that repressed trauma
adr rox worship him or suffer large
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

adr

#930 Post by adr »

i'm watching St4 right now, going through the movies on the weekend, i'll switch to tng later

but i find it kinda sad how carol marcus is like forgotten after st2

the klingon guy says "conceived by kirk's son"

but the impression i got from twok was that carol was the lead. and she wasn't in st3 either of course

oh well these movies are fantastic

adr

#931 Post by adr »

so in twok, scotty lets spock sac himself to save the ship while saying no no no

in tvh scotty says there's no way to reach the exit controls and lets kirk sac himself to save the whales while scotty is all like no no no

lol

so they lose power to receive transmissions but their giant tv screens still have power to show static. lol.

and scotty is wearing a commander's insignia again. what happened to "captain of engineering"? speaking of insigna there's a woman in the background that i can't see if she's another captain or not. the color of the shoulder flap doesn't look like command white tho

the enterprise a is pretty here too. i like it. and some tos bridge sounds. win.

i love this film

Oxymoron

#932 Post by Oxymoron »

So, went to watch "Into Darkness"...

Can someone explain to me why the Klingon planet look like a complete and utter wasteland, and why its moon look like it has been recently blown up ?
No.

Darth Tedious

#933 Post by Darth Tedious »

Apparently Praxis exploded early in the new timeline
(refer to ST6:TUC if this doesn't help)

As for the landscape, I guess it was a really shitty area?
Qo'nos was never shown to be particularly lush or nice in the old 'verse

Regarding Praxis exploding: unless the Klingon economy is considerably different to the old timeline, it would be possible they would not have jumped into Admiral Robocop's war with much enthusiasm as he hoped

Edit: then again, it might be indicative that their economy was in overdrive
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#934 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Didn't most of the Klingon fleet get destroyed in the first movie? Rebuilding it could've promoted overaggressive resource exploitation I guess.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#935 Post by Darksi4190 »

The only thing I recall is them saying that they "lost 40 warbirds." That would be a loss akin to Wolf 359 in the prime universe. Probably not crippling, but a definite wake up call.

timmy

#936 Post by timmy »

Forty-seven. They lost forty-seven.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Oxymoron

#937 Post by Oxymoron »

And that is terrible
No.

Darth Tedious

#938 Post by Darth Tedious »

So apparently in Into Darkness they started using 42 as their 'random number' instead of 47

I didn't notice this myself, it would be silly of them to do considering it doesn't even really matter
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

Stofsk

#939 Post by Stofsk »

Darth Tedious wrote:So apparently in Into Darkness they started using 42 as their 'random number' instead of 47
Sacrilege! :argh:

Oxymoron

#940 Post by Oxymoron »

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Qo%27noS
For the planet's appearance in Star Trek Into Darkness, the filmmakers were inspired by Pripyat, the city abandoned due to the Chernobyl disaster that inspired Praxis in The Undiscovered Country. Roberto Orci commented about the planet, "Maybe its civilization was built on top of the old version of the Klingon civilization, so Scott Chambliss did an amazing job of putting the new on top of, sort of, ruins of a city that may have gone through a Praxis-like event." [4] Chambliss himself explained, "At first, Qo'noS was going to be a super-industrialized place, where the off-product of their industry was so toxic, they basically turned the planet itself into an utter waste zone. In doing that, they altered the environment so much it became a non-stop storming planet. There was only lightning, storm, and crazy wind in the sky. You couldn't even walk the surface of the planet, because it was all oceans of toxicity. They had burrowed down into the planet, as well as built their city on top. They kept building higher and higher because the meth level got higher and higher."

The concept of the highly polluted Klingon homeworld went on to influence the design of the place. "When it came down to dealing with it," recalled Scott Chambliss, "the [battle] sequence wasn't fully fleshed out in the beginning, which is normal [....] Ultimately, that took us to a place of trying all different kinds of environmental pieces of this overall picture of toxified Qo'noS [....] I think I did 14 different versions of the set. Each one had a different specificity of what it was, and why it was the way it was. Nothing really landed with J.J. [Abrams.] It finally got to the point where I needed to do something a lot more abstract." Chambliss also remarked that the area of Qo'noS featured in the battle sequence was "probably a factory" and possibly had been "a munitions factory" or "a place for building space craft." (Star Trek Magazine issue 172, p. 67)

Scott Chambliss took classical influence for the columns in this region. "The quadrant of the city where the action takes place is sort of an interpretation of the Roman Colosseum, the warrens below the Colosseum floor," he said. [5]

The idea of designing the set in an extremely abstract way led Scott Chambliss to propose a particular feature of the site, which he described as a "big, glowing, lensy thing in the background, the big halo." This element was based on the sculptural installation The Weather Project. "That was the thing I kept staring at, and seeing the scale of a human being in front of it," he reflected, "and thought, 'This is so cool. Maybe this is a way into what we're doing, playing with a massive sunburst or light source, or whatever the hell it was going to be, against our villain, who is supposed to be the baddest guy on Earth.' But the epic scale of that glow even makes this huge bad guy look tiny.'" (Star Trek Magazine issue 172, p. 67)

Following the set's construction, the rest of the planet was fleshed out. At Pixomondo, the look of the world was designed by CG Supervisor Enrico Damm and Compositing Supervisor Dan Cobbett. Remembered Pixomondo Visual Effects Supervisor Ben Grossmann, "The way J.J. turned it over to us was as a moody and atmospheric environment [....] For the larger planet and the flying through it, we tried to take as many design cues from the partial, destroyed set that was there as far as textures and design angles, and extrapolate from that what a city, planet and building would look like.” These aspects became a combination of industrial areas and ten-mile-high building spires existing in the dense, polluted air. Pixomondo also developed a toxic atmosphere from which the D4 class ships could appear. Grossmann added, “We took reference from the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and from really tall and spire-y buildings [....] What I liked was when you see pictures photographed from up there, the buildings are so tall that they peek through the clouds and you have no real sense of how far you are away from the ground. That gave us the idea to build the planet Kronos in atmospheric layers. We tried to imagine what a planet like Jupiter would be like underneath all these layers of atmosphere."

The upper levels of Qo'noS were based on thinking that, in the upper atmosphere of a Jupiter-like planet, there might be occasional clarity amongst the thick clouds. “As we start to descend down through the atmosphere," stated Ben Grossman, "we had the idea to almost give it an underwater feel. We figured that with that much humidity and moisture to create a toxic cloud, you’d imagine there’s a lot of toxic sludge around. We ran a bunch of waterfall simulations and we allowed pretty high amounts of accumulated condensation to create these toxic waterfalls.”

Even lower on the planet surface, the lighting shifted to seem akin to an underwater cave, with shafts of light scattering in the atmosphere and illuminating the environment. “We realized the most effective way to nail this look and make it feel real was by rendering as much as possible the volumes of atmosphere all in one,” Ben Grossmann recounted. “Normally you just render lighting passes and let the compers dial in the balance [....] But when you’re shooting everything through a really heavy atmosphere, that technique doesn’t work anymore. So what you have to do is render the effects volumes properly lit from within and calculating the qualities of the light as they move through varying densities of atmosphere. Needless to say that was quite a render hog but gave us the look we were going for in the end.”

The fluid simulations were done in Naiad, whereas volumetric effects – such as atmospheric swirls from wing tips – were rendered in FumeFX. Ben Grossmann concluded, “To help give a sense of scale to these volumes we ran blowing air debris and bits of ash and detritus as fluid sims rendered out with Thinking Particles. And we used Krakatoa too [....] Buildings [were] rendered in V-Ray.” Minor CGI was involved even in the area used for the battle sequence, such as tattered pieces of fabric which were included as ground elements and were created as cloth sims. [6]
No.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#941 Post by Big Orangutan »

Well the Federation also suffered almost as crippling fleet losses over Vulcan (which soon after got imploded; a major population/cultural/political centre for the UFP).

I wonder if Commander Data's awful and terrifying artwork could help lighten things up?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Dh1kKv9zPs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1iTsLZFaYIw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7xfCKXnyD-4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jk7eyqY4bbQ
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

Crazedwraith

#942 Post by Crazedwraith »

so I was iffy on star trek online. It runs crap on my laptop for one thing

but then they sent me to Deep Space K7 and let me talk to Mackenzie Calhoun. So my New Frontier fanboyism went into full effect and it actually okay now. Of course they also made me talk to naomi wildman and it send me to p'jem from enterrpise as well so i am no conflicted.

clicking things to make them die is surprising engrossing at times.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Stofsk

#943 Post by Stofsk »

It's pretty fun.

timmy

#944 Post by timmy »

There's callbacks for everyone.

-thejester

evilsoup

#945 Post by evilsoup »

discuss

timmy

#946 Post by timmy »

I laughed like my eight year old daughter at that.

-thejester

Oxymoron

#947 Post by Oxymoron »

No.

evilsoup

#948 Post by evilsoup »

Patrick Stewart is pretty great

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#949 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

The fact that Patrick Stewart will one day die has upset me for years : (

Bounty

#950 Post by Bounty »

don't say those horrible thing :-(
People in glass trousers shouldn't shit bricks.