Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#1751 Post by Darksi4190 »

I think that there is a singular "concept" at the core of SDN that has really become twisted and mutated over the years.

That Concept is a categorical rejection of the golden mean fallacy. A common statement on SDN in the early years was "There is such a thing as a wrong opinion." And I wholeheartedly agree with that concept in it's most basic form. Sometimes someone's opinion, when dealing with an objective fact, is just plain wrong or harmful. The problem is that over the years "wrong opinion" has been twisted into "any opinion that I/the mods/ the majority of the board disagrees with."

Oxymoron

#1752 Post by Oxymoron »

thejester wrote:
adr wrote:on that topic i hope he tries France for real

i'm kinda a francophile this time of year and the french government is saying things about being angry about the spying so hey maybe they'll actually say yes
the irony of that would blow my mind
Yeah... France starting to get pissy about spying in general would be a big lol considering how extensive our own intelligence agencies are, inside and outside our borders. Sure they don't quite compare to the US', but on the other hand, who can compare to the US' when it come to the sheer scope and magnitude of its various intelligence agencies, apart maybe from Russia and China ?...
No.

Losonti Tokash

#1753 Post by Losonti Tokash »

i think it's become pretty clear that our intelligence services are actually dumb as shit and spend half their time spying on each other, let alone americans, let alone foreigners

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1754 Post by adr »

the french state certainly is no angel but i think france has a better reputation in the us than most the other options so politically i think it would be a better bet for snowden

going to china, russia, cuba, or even venezuela all kinds of assholes would be (and have been) saying "yup he's a traitor going to america's enemies" and "LOL DEFENDER OF DEMOCRACY MY ASS"

but i think it would be a little harder to say that about france; nobody calls them a dictatorship on the axis of evil. at worst the french are snobby cheese eating surrender monkeys, but not "enemy of america"
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1755 Post by adr »

speaking of french intelligence, have you guys ever seen the movie "wasabi" starring jean reno?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasabi_(film)

if not, check it out. it is worth many a lol. "mixed/negative reviews" my ass, i enjoyed the hell out of it
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Losonti Tokash

#1756 Post by Losonti Tokash »

never in my wildest dreams would i have expected jub to get into an argument with a black separatist

it's beautiful

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1757 Post by Darksi4190 »

I honestly did not know that Black Separatism was still a thing to any significant extent. I thought that it was the sole province of fringe groups like the New Black Panthers.

Djinnkitty83

#1758 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

I have to admit I'm getting some joy in watching them being schooled on racism and ethnocentrism by a black man. I'm a white guy, I try to always keep in mind that no matter how much I want to support equality, my standpoint is from a position of someone who hasn't had to face constant adversity and prejudice simply for his gender or race (though admittedly my gender fluidity has gotten me in trouble multiple times), so I should be watching what I say and how I think because it could easily come off as self-centered and, dare I say, privileged, to someone who's in a different position than me.

One of the things that's always annoyed me are, I guess you could call them 'white knights', though I've seen people call them 'allies' (sarcastic quotes included), who pretend that since they're 'supporting', they can speak at length on the plight of those 'unfortunates' beneath them, and come across as patronizing shitheads who do more harm than good.

Losonti Tokash

#1759 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Darksi4190 wrote:I honestly did not know that Black Separatism was still a thing to any significant extent. I thought that it was the sole province of fringe groups like the New Black Panthers.
I don't think it's particularly influential, but then again I'm not black. Saxtonite is certainly the only person I've seen advocating it in recent memory.

Flagg

#1760 Post by Flagg »

Losonti Tokash wrote:never in my wildest dreams would i have expected jub to get into an argument with a black separatist

it's beautiful
A white privilege male rights asshole vs Black Separatist: GO!
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Questor

#1761 Post by Questor »

Flagg wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:never in my wildest dreams would i have expected jub to get into an argument with a black separatist

it's beautiful
Jub and Saxtonite are fighting? Where?

Edit: Since I'm not reading any of the threads over there at the moment, I'm only getting the peanut gallery over here. Is anyone making the point that any attempt to create a separatist state (of any kind) out of the US runs counter to the rather decisive decision in the US v Davis? Leaving aside that any attempt to actually create a sepratist homeland out of the United States would almost certainly involve some sort of forced relocation (and we could give away the best land in the US, and someone would still have to be relocated - there are no ethnically homogenous areas in the US of the size necessary to be a self-sufficient homeland for millions of people), and do we really want to go back to that?

weemadando

#1762 Post by weemadando »

adr wrote:speaking of french intelligence, have you guys ever seen the movie "wasabi" starring jean reno?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasabi_(film)

if not, check it out. it is worth many a lol. "mixed/negative reviews" my ass, i enjoyed the hell out of it
That movie is a net positive for society. Probably.

Oxymoron

#1763 Post by Oxymoron »

Watched Wasabi several times. Enjoyed each and every watch.

People just like to criticize Luc Besson's movies because he's one of the few French directors / producers who has the balls and means to do "hollywoodian" French movies that rakes in a lot of cash, and this piss-off the independent and art-house directors / producers (I'm not going to enter the debate to know if they are justified in that or not because it's a complete clusterfuck of different shades of grey).
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1764 Post by Aaron »

Hey, does anyone know how I can direct link to a post on sdn?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1765 Post by RogueIce »

Yes I do.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1766 Post by RogueIce »

Alright fine, I'll be helpful. I was just imaging you staring sadly at me with those Canadian puppy dog eyes. :(

Look along the top of the post, where it says Subject and has the date. Next to the date there's a little page icon. Right-click that and Copy Shortcut and BOOM headshot.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1767 Post by Aaron »

Lol, thanks. :)

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1768 Post by RogueIce »

So apparently when shaving, you're supposed to reapply shaving cream after going with the grain before you go against. I've never heard that before.

Oxymoron

#1769 Post by Oxymoron »

Speaking of Canada :

No.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1770 Post by RyanThunder »

Flagg wrote:

it's beautiful
Oh fucking hell. Separatists.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1771 Post by Aaron »

I think african americans can make a more convincing case then ours can, dude.

evilsoup

#1772 Post by evilsoup »

that cake is great

Aaron
El Duderino

#1773 Post by Aaron »

Whats with the blue?

evilsoup

#1774 Post by evilsoup »