#1776 Post by timmy »

"Because inside every gook is an American waiting to get out."
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

RyanThunder
Knows Best

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#1777 Post by RyanThunder »

Aaron wrote:I think african americans can make a more convincing case then ours can, dude.
Less unconvincing, perhaps.

But I dislike separatism in general, it's not directed at any particular group of them.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1778 Post by Darksi4190 »

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 8#p3785688

Alright did Stas just do what I think he did? I.E. use the term "moslem" as a back handed insult to Muslims a la HPCA?

evilsoup

#1779 Post by evilsoup »

yay for military coups against democratically-elected presidents

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1780 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Isn't there a several millions strong protest going on in Egypt right now or something? I thought that's what prompted the ultimatum. Or am I misunderstanding what's going on?

evilsoup

#1781 Post by evilsoup »

yes, big protests, plus the elections for all the positions except the President have stalled, so there's definitely something going on (this is according to my listening to BBC radio today; they also said 'it's partly for reasons beyond the Muslim Brotherhood's control', but didn't expand on that)
but still, I'm very leary of military coups. To be fair, so were all the Egyptian protesters interviewed on the radio today, so hopefully they'll be able to keep up enough pressure on the military to ensure that this is a temporary thing.

Glass Fort MacLeod
Fuckin' New Guy

#1782 Post by Glass Fort MacLeod »

Darksi4190 wrote:I think that there is a singular "concept" at the core of SDN that has really become twisted and mutated over the years.

That Concept is a categorical rejection of the golden mean fallacy. A common statement on SDN in the early years was "There is such a thing as a wrong opinion." And I wholeheartedly agree with that concept in it's most basic form. Sometimes someone's opinion, when dealing with an objective fact, is just plain wrong or harmful. The problem is that over the years "wrong opinion" has been twisted into "any opinion that I/the mods/ the majority of the board disagrees with."
The whole 'mockery of stupid people' thing got perverted too and that only contributed to the poisonous atmosphere that shattered the board and/or drove people away. Its hard to have fruitful discussions when both sides take intractable positions and try to crush one another.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1783 Post by Aaron »

Broomstick wrote:
Gandalf wrote:That's roughly what I meant. Imagine someone had actually filibustered for long enough and defeated universal healthcare. Upon reintroduction of the bill, would Broomstick (or whoever) be calling them sore losers who need to man up?
It's not the reintroduction of the bill that makes them sore losers. It's them calling "unfair!" when the opposition uses a legitimate and legal tactic. It's scolding a fellow legislator in a patronizing manner for having a different world view, basically saying "you didn't learn the proper lesson from your own experience", and so on.
I saw this today and thought it was a nice, if unintentional (and probably oblivious) commentary on the board.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#1784 Post by Bakustra »

Simon_Jester wrote: The extra k's in the spelling really do give the whole scheme an extra touch of impractical fantasy: "look how edgy I am, I spell words wrong to show how independent I am of your conventions!"

That is just... completely useless and hopeless as the founding spirit of a revolutionary new nation-creating movement. Sinn Fein never wasted time deciding the English name of their new country would be the Republik of Eireland or anything like that.
I mean, Simon may be one of the better posters, but he still has fairly large blind spots.

But what I like is that so many people are assuming that separatism would necessarily involve displacement and ethnic cleansing even in the face of directly comparing it to referenda like the Quebec and Catalan ones that would have resulted in peaceful secession. I mean, fuck, not every country is going to end up like Yugoslavia!

Oxymoron

#1785 Post by Oxymoron »

From what I gather, Yugoslavia never really was a "nation" to begin with. It was created after WW1 by cutting a swath of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and basically telling them "you're a country now, good luck".

Considering the different nationalities composing Yugoslavia had already been at each other throats for several centuries (at least) by that point, it wasn't hard to guess that once the central leadership of the country would begin to weaken the place would turn into a whole mess of ethnic vendetta.
No.

Questor

#1786 Post by Questor »

Bakustra wrote:But what I like is that so many people are assuming that separatism would necessarily involve displacement and ethnic cleansing even in the face of directly comparing it to referenda like the Quebec and Catalan ones that would have resulted in peaceful secession. I mean, fuck, not every country is going to end up like Yugoslavia!
Those of us who realize that also realize that Quebec and Catalan votes are drastically different than what is being proposed. The secession would be peaceful, of that I have no doubt, but lets deal in reality for the moment. Where are you going to create this ethnic paradise? Assume that you find 15 million people willing to join this quixotic, questionable, quarrelsome quest, where are you going to put them that they would not immediately be at the economically at the mercy of the original group. Good answers from a pure theory standpoint - San Francisco Bay area, Mississippi Delta area, occupying one side of the river (This one's pretty shitty, but not impossible), Houston, D.C. Metro, Manhattan, California central valley. Seattle + northern coast. Can you find me one area that would not involve displacing hundreds of thousands to millions of people, assuming that they don't fit the ethnic requirements and are required to leave (If they aren't, you have other problems relating to property rights)?

This is not Yugoslavia, this is not Quebec, this is not Catalan, this is not Scotland, this is not even Ireland, this is Isreal. And that worked out so well the first time, didn't it?

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1787 Post by adr »

lol fb ads (on so many levels)

but this one:
Increase your customers’ outreach. Create a mobile APP for your BIZ in just minutes. Reach them anytime, anywhere!

why the fuck are APP and BIZ capitalized??///
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Losonti Tokash

#1788 Post by Losonti Tokash »

the amount and types of data available to me after the party purchased it from facebook is terrifying

The Spartan

#1789 Post by The Spartan »

Questor wrote:*SNIP*
Where are you going to create this ethnic paradise?
*SNIP*
Houston?
Hey now. I live there and own a house. Are you just going to evict me? :colbert:

adr

#1790 Post by adr »

i just looked through that thread

p. interesting stuff imo, at least something to think about

but the latest post is blarghy in a lot of ways. 'supposed', 'actually', poo.
Questor wrote:this is Isreal.
arguably one diff is that white americans have profited off the black slaves, so mebbe we kinda collectively owe them. if israel was carved out of Germany after the war rather than Palestine i think it might have been a different story

let's say a hypothetical group wanted to secede, just talking in general terms here. i think that if they were willing to give dissenting individuals a choice to live under the new state or be compensated for their moving, i'd prolly call that pretty fair

now if my city decided to secede, we'll i'd prolly just ask to whom do i write the tax checks now and carry on, but if that's impossible, sure i'd be pretty fucking annoyed, but if they bought my house at market value and paid my moving expenses, it'd certainly soften the blow. i might not be happy about it, well, i'd def not be happy about it, not one bit

but i could live with it.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1791 Post by Darksi4190 »

Dr. Trainwreck on SDN wrote:What's the moral? Well, the moral is: fundies love rape.
Well this dude has the most apt username ever

adr

#1792 Post by adr »

ugh 'sexually repressed'

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1793 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

New Atheism is pretty heavily set into rape culture, but don't tell them that.

The Spartan

#1794 Post by The Spartan »

Huh?

Questor

#1795 Post by Questor »

The Spartan wrote:
Questor wrote:*SNIP*
Where are you going to create this ethnic paradise?
*SNIP*
Houston?
Hey now. I live there and own a house. Are you just going to evict me? :colbert:
I was referring to geographic/economic suitability. Your reaction proved my point.

I'll be in your neck of the woods by 6am your time. (Apparently 6:01 now).

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1796 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

The Spartan wrote:Huh?
The whole idea that rape is a religious thing just seems so almost funnily hollow when the New Atheism movement (the kind exemplified by Dawkins and a lot of SD.net) is so deeply misogynistic in all the wrong ways, which is even worse because they like to think they are and are often seen by some as at the forefront of progressivism.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1797 Post by RyanThunder »

do you mean to imply that there is a correct way to be deeply misogynist :lol:

Aaron
El Duderino

#1798 Post by Aaron »

RyanThunder wrote:do you mean to imply that there is a correct way to be deeply misogynist :lol:
If you keep it to yourself, like religion, or lack there of.

But that black nationalism thread is actually pretty interesting. Or was until it descended into line by line hell. I've never encountered a black nationalist that was able to articulate his position beyond anger before.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1799 Post by Aaron »

Or maybe I'm more sympathetic to separatists since working on my own feelings of abandonment and betrayal with the federal government.

Weird, I would have thought Saxonite a total fool years ago.

Oxymoron

#1800 Post by Oxymoron »

I say, it would pretty ironic yet fitting to build the "African American Homeland" in the Mississippi delta... Though I doubt the US would be insane enough to give a potentially independent nation control over one of the most important waterways of the continent, given how critical it is to the economy of the country.

Worst come to worst, maybe it could be "built" as a State of the United States ? The soviets kind of did the same thing with their Jew oblast in the far east.
No.