Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Djinnkitty83

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#2001 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Bakustra wrote:Apparently the movie is better than the trailers equating the walking dead with Palestinians would have you believe
Funny thing is in that particular scene, Palestinian refugees are some of the first people attacked by the zoombies.
In any case, Neil Gaiman totally is one of the most overrated nerd authors of all time. Probably in the top five if we discount the Golden Age effect and restrict ourselves to prose authors. Funnily enough, I actually am starting to sour on his works for reasons I was unable to articulate until I read Catherynne Valente's Deathless, though I won't really go into details unless people really want to hear me take many words to say that most genre fiction is shallow and hollow and this really pisses me off.
This is the point where I take any mention of vaguely gothy and/or fantasy fiction as an excuse to shamelessly plug my favourite author, Tanith Lee. She almost single-handedly supports my faith in modern writers.

AniThyng

#2002 Post by AniThyng »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:
Bakustra wrote:Apparently the movie is better than the trailers equating the walking dead with Palestinians would have you believe
Funny thing is in that particular scene, Palestinian refugees are some of the first people attacked by the zoombies.
Yeah well Metahive and others have spoken. O yea, gods I wish he would add the "h" to the "O".

But anyway I concede. No good can come out of any further "yes, but..." circles about why it's possible for human militaries to make missteps and lose to zombies.

Djinnkitty83

#2003 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

AniThyng wrote:Yeah well Metahive and others have spoken. O yea, gods I wish he would add the "h" to the "O".

But anyway I concede. No good can come out of any further "yes, but..." circles about why it's possible for human militaries to make missteps and lose to zombies.
Sad thing is some of the points brought up are interesting to think about*, but I know any attempt to actually discuss it over there (or with people bringing that sort of mentality over here) will result in another circlejerk of :smug: :smug: "Military combined arms rulez all, stupid non-STEM trekkie luzer lolz" :smug: :smug:

For some reason zombies trigger this reaction more than most things.

*The whole 'why didn't they build a walkway' in particular. I eventually came away with, "1) Every cent dedicated towards this anti-zoombie wall had to be fought for, and in the end they had to choose between concessions or not completing the wall at all. 2) The wall was still a work in progress when things went to hell, so in the interest of 'get it done' they just capped it off as it was. 3) Zoombies react violently to human movement, it was judged better not to have meat-morsels patrolling the walls, constantly reminding the zoombies exactly where all the tasty meals had congregated."

#3 in particular applies because the wall actually did work fine until the zoombies became aware that there were people on the other side. Having people visible up top would have just hastened the inevitable.

AniThyng

#2004 Post by AniThyng »

For what its worth, I think it's pretty clear that any number of soldiers can hold off many times their number in zombies, but just how many soldiers does any country really have relative to population? Any major dense metro area is just doomed that way. It's not for nothing that most of the cities that make it out okay in WWZ tend to be smaller and somewhat isolated relative to other places.

A city like Tokyo or Mumbai or Hong Kong or even New York isn't going to be able to handle that very well.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2005 Post by adr »

so i watched lethal weapons 1 and 2 over the weekend. i couldn't help but notice both failed the bechdel test..... but they were fun films. i'll do 3 and 4 next weekend prolly.

lethal weapon 2 in 17 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiXNUaSjXRY
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Oxymoron

#2006 Post by Oxymoron »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:
I didn't catch that symbolic.

What I saw was Palestinian refugees singing with Orthodox Jews, probably about how good it was to be alive and that now they had a chance to get the old grudges behind them.

You know, that they were so happy to finally be treated as Equals in the Holy City that they didn't catch the fact that in their celebration of this good new they had signed their own doom.
No.

Flagg

#2007 Post by Flagg »

Oxymoron wrote:
Djinnkitty83 wrote:
I didn't catch that symbolic.

What I saw was Palestinian refugees singing with Orthodox Jews, probably about how good it was to be alive and that now they had a chance to get the old grudges behind them.

You know, that they were so happy to finally be treated as Equals in the Holy City that they didn't catch the fact that in their celebration of this good new they had signed their own doom.
Idealism is a poison on humanity.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Flagg

#2008 Post by Flagg »

In fact for me that was the weakest part of the book. In reality the Israelis would be EXPELLING Palestinians, not inviting them in.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

evilsoup

#2009 Post by evilsoup »

well I don't think they'd go that far
but yeah inviting the Palestinians into Israel was the most unbelievable part of the book for me, even ahead of Cuba becoming a world power because of the capitalist spirit of US refugees

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#2010 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Bakustra wrote:I leave you people alone for one extended holiday, and look what happens. In any case, Neil Gaiman totally is one of the most overrated nerd authors of all time. Probably in the top five if we discount the Golden Age effect and restrict ourselves to prose authors. Funnily enough, I actually am starting to sour on his works for reasons I was unable to articulate until I read Catherynne Valente's Deathless, though I won't really go into details unless people really want to hear me take many words to say that most genre fiction is shallow and hollow and this really pisses me off.
pls articulate buck

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#2011 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/vjM5OUs.jpg
i liek your horrers always has

anyway i have been ruminating with my friend and we are trying to become shamans

i was wondering have you ever tried doing arts of properly proportional humanoid beings? i wish to see

because my shaman friend said that before one deforms or caricatures a humanoid, one ought to get the anatomies right, so that when one chooses to deform, the results will be more monstrous or something...

evilsoup

#2012 Post by evilsoup »

Funnily enough, I actually am starting to sour on his works for reasons I was unable to articulate until I read Catherynne Valente's Deathless, though I won't really go into details unless people really want to hear me take many words to say that most genre fiction is shallow and hollow and this really pisses me off.
that seems like a pretty blanket statement, but yeah most genre fiction is disappointingly shit (oh look how self-consciously 'weird' and 'zany' I'm being, blrghlarg, China Meiville I'm looking at you :argh: )

I do rather like Sandman, though I think that might be because it was my gateway comic into Vertigo, and from there the works of my spiritual liege Alan Moore and the religious experience that was Promethea.

but yeah +1 please articulate, I'm always looking for good stuff to read

Oxymoron

#2013 Post by Oxymoron »

evilsoup wrote:well I don't think they'd go that far
but yeah inviting the Palestinians into Israel was the most unbelievable part of the book for me, even ahead of Cuba becoming a world power because of the capitalist spirit of US refugees
No, the most unbelievable thing is that in the books there's a passing mention that they built a city of something like 10 or 100 million people in Greenland and that it was supposedly the center of humanity's reconstruction efforts during the period, and that it's never brought up again. WTF ?!

Note : you know what I dislike with paper books ? The inability to do Ctrl+F to search keywords.
Last edited by Oxymoron on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.

evilsoup

#2014 Post by evilsoup »

that's why ebooks are the future

Manus Dei

#2015 Post by Manus Dei »

evilsoup wrote:
Funnily enough, I actually am starting to sour on his works for reasons I was unable to articulate until I read Catherynne Valente's Deathless, though I won't really go into details unless people really want to hear me take many words to say that most genre fiction is shallow and hollow and this really pisses me off.
that seems like a pretty blanket statement, but yeah most genre fiction is disappointingly shit (oh look how self-consciously 'weird' and 'zany' I'm being, blrghlarg, China Meiville I'm looking at you :argh: )

I do rather like Sandman, though I think that might be because it was my gateway comic into Vertigo, and from there the works of my spiritual liege Alan Moore and the religious experience that was Promethea.

but yeah +1 please articulate, I'm always looking for good stuff to read
promethea was fucking spectacular and remains to date one of my favourite comics
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

evilsoup

#2016 Post by evilsoup »

It's one of my favourite works of fiction overall, not just comics, and one of the larger influences on my thought processes.

Crazedwraith

#2017 Post by Crazedwraith »

so i was just watching the start of bad boys and found it hilarious mildly noteworthy that martin laurence was billed above will smith. So i guess that was the state of things in 1995.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Questor

#2018 Post by Questor »

Please tell me that was intentional.

Crazedwraith

#2019 Post by Crazedwraith »

alas i don't know what you mean so... no.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Djinnkitty83

#2020 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

evilsoup wrote:well I don't think they'd go that far
Well in the book the invitation to the Palestinians did spark a civil war between Orthodox Jews and progressives.

Oxymoron

#2021 Post by Oxymoron »

Man, you know what ? Fuck it, I'm going to re-read WWZ.
No.

thejester

#2022 Post by thejester »

evilsoup wrote:that seems like a pretty blanket statement, but yeah most genre fiction is disappointingly shit (oh look how self-consciously 'weird' and 'zany' I'm being, blrghlarg, China Meiville I'm looking at you :argh: )
you take that back

evilsoup

#2023 Post by evilsoup »

which bit

thejester

#2024 Post by thejester »

evilsoup wrote:which bit
China Mieville is a lovely man and I won't hear a bad word against him

Gands