Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#2076 Post by Darksi4190 »

So SDN is back up and, Really? A Serenity quote? Who put that up there? I know it wasn't DW. I doubt he even knows who Joss Whedon is.

evilsoup

#2077 Post by evilsoup »

a degree is no guarantee of employment (I know a guy with a 2:1 who works four hours a week in a supermarket -- he can't find anything else), and it's much easier to get a job if you already have one
so I'd recommend just looking around at other local shops etc. and see if you can find something better, rather than quitting

Crazedwraith

#2078 Post by Crazedwraith »

Darksi4190 wrote:So SDN is back up and, Really? A Serenity quote? Who put that up there? I know it wasn't DW. I doubt he even knows who Joss Whedon is.
Wong has seen Serenity. I remember him talking about it. I think he and Dalton are the only people who can put that stuff up there.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

weemadando

#2079 Post by weemadando »

evilsoup wrote:a degree is no guarantee of employment (I know a guy with a 2:1 who works four hours a week in a supermarket -- he can't find anything else), and it's much easier to get a job if you already have one
so I'd recommend just looking around at other local shops etc. and see if you can find something better, rather than quitting
As long as your job isn't actively losing you money (costing more to commute than you earn for a shift, losing other benefits etc - or if you're still at school, it's not eating too much study time) then keep it. Because money is money and as the Soup says, having a job already makes getting another one way easier.

Darksi4190

#2080 Post by Darksi4190 »

weemadando wrote: as the Soup says, having a job already makes getting another one way easier.
I've heard that this might not necessarily be the case for my particular "job" though. Some people have told me that having "Mcdonalds crew person" on your resume past a certain age can basically poison it. Prospective employers will look down on you for working there since, at least in the U.S., it's the very bottom rung of the employment ladder. They'll wonder why you couldn't get something "better."

My father and others have suggested that it's alright for me to keep working there while i'm still going to school because then I can explain to people that I was just doing it part time while I got my degree, but that If i'm stuck with it for longer than a few months to a year after I finish school, i'll essentially be "damaged goods" as far as many prospective employers are concerned.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2081 Post by adr »

so a person in a passing car just waved at me and idk who she was

i hate it when that happens, if it was someone i know i'll look silly now
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#2082 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Darksi4190 wrote:I've heard that this might not necessarily be the case for my particular "job" though. Some people have told me that having "Mcdonalds crew person" on your resume past a certain age can basically poison it. Prospective employers will look down on you for working there since, at least in the U.S., it's the very bottom rung of the employment ladder. They'll wonder why you couldn't get something "better."

My father and others have suggested that it's alright for me to keep working there while i'm still going to school because then I can explain to people that I was just doing it part time while I got my degree, but that If i'm stuck with it for longer than a few months to a year after I finish school, i'll essentially be "damaged goods" as far as many prospective employers are concerned.
Long periods of unemployment also mark someone as damaged goods to some people hiring, probably more than a minimum wage job.

Unless your job is negatively affecting your life (and it very well be; I've had to leave two because they drove me to that point) then I'd suggest keeping with it if just for the money reason as Ando said. It's much easier to live for a while if you have someone helping with expenses if you have savings rather than a debt. And I know it can be really soul-killing to feel trapped in a job like that with no end in sight so this advice might be making things worse emotionally. I don't know the situation from anything more than a few sentences on a forum so I can't say a lot, but hopefully my experiences can help your decision.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#2083 Post by Bakustra »

Jung wrote:^ Context?
A wonderful, wonderful man talking about movies.

Some more wonderful things:

and one more: (click for big)

evilsoup

#2084 Post by evilsoup »

RE: the ID talk earlier, here is the radio program that I heard about India's digital ID scheme. I don't know if people outside the UK can get access to it (I think you might, because it's radio rather than TV). Anyway, it's only half an hour, and definitely worth listening to.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#2085 Post by RyanThunder »

Hah. My co-worker resigned. Since I do a more complex version of his job about 30-40 times more effectively than he does his own, I may get his position.

Oxymoron

#2086 Post by Oxymoron »

Congratulation, I guess ?
No.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#2087 Post by RyanThunder »

Just a positive vent.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2088 Post by adr »

email
date: Jul 11
subject: Adam, your profile is missing your education!

reply: no it ain't :-P
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Darksi4190

#2089 Post by Darksi4190 »

Ugh. Picking classes for next semester, and by god does it look like i'm going to have a boring time of it. Some of the "international studies" requirements look like they might be interesting, but the descriptions of the Humanities requirements alone practically put me to sleep. I can't even imagine how boring the actual class is going to be.

magic princess

#2090 Post by magic princess »

In all my years on SD.net I've had "meltdowns" before, but I've never sat back before after reading someone's post about me and wanted to literally do violence to the person on the other side of the screen before. Well, first time for everything. I honestly wish I'd get the Bakustra treatment at this point--the problem is I don't want to leave the board as long as my posts are there. If I go, I want every single post I've ever made deleted in the process.

Oxymoron

#2091 Post by Oxymoron »

Context ?
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2092 Post by RogueIce »

Pull an adr in that case. :v

Oxymoron

#2093 Post by Oxymoron »

Oh, I see, the black separatism turned native american thread.

I can understand the frustration.

Is the guy you are talking about Patroklos or Channel72 ?
No.

magic princess

#2094 Post by magic princess »

Patroklos. Though in general assimilationist attitudes infuriate me immensely because they're produced on an incredible level by the progressive version of racism and European ethnocentrism. I'm a conservative, not a racist, and that combination means one of my most passionate subjects really is defending indigenous cultural and land-use rights, so it is really easy for me to lose all perspective and just want to pistol-whip some other white person who declares that yes, the natives will all move to NYC, when in fact those who leave the reservations for jobs are usually forced to by economic conditions and move back on retirement because they never wanted to in the first place. Assimilationism is just the white progressive version of genocide when you look at the history of the tribes. But it appeals to their "we can fix all problems by uplifting everyone equally" impulse, so it is their favourite sin. I'm sure Straha can talk on this at great length also.

Oxymoron

#2095 Post by Oxymoron »

So I guess you're not fond of the French vision on immigration, then ?
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2096 Post by RogueIce »

Is there some kind of prize for successfully removing blood stains from white clothes? Because there should be.

Flagg

#2097 Post by Flagg »

Is there a tldr version of this natives dispute?
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Losonti Tokash

#2098 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Racists are racist and talk at great length about shit they're totally ignorant of, while calling people involved/interested in these issues racist.

Flagg

#2099 Post by Flagg »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Racists are racist and talk at great length about shit they're totally ignorant of, while calling people involved/interested in these issues racist.
So the usual?
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Jung

#2100 Post by Jung »

magic princess wrote:I honestly wish I'd get the Bakustra treatment at this point--the problem is I don't want to leave the board as long as my posts are there. If I go, I want every single post I've ever made deleted in the process.
Why? I'm just curious.