:giggidy:

RyanThunder
Knows Best

Re: Trek Thread

#952 Post by RyanThunder »

Flagg

#953 Post by Flagg »

Rape would have been funnier. But this was pretty fucking funny.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#954 Post by Darksi4190 »

So i've been browsing through the old trek series on Hulu plus. I've re-watched all my favorite episodes from TNG and DS9, and now i'm hopping through trying to pick out the few choice ones from Voyager, which is not easy since the show sucks, but at least it's easier to find a good episode of this than Enterprise.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#955 Post by Big Orangutan »

OK, I've seen the photo showing the DS9 cast line up, celebrating the 20th anniversary (time flies) and some of the cast members look are starting to look almost unrecognisable (like Michael Dorn, but he was under heavy prosthetic) but fortunately (so-far) they haven't been horribly decimated like the cast ensemble for Babylon 5 have been. I wonder why so many former B5 male stars have died relatively young in their 40s to 60s and is even worse than those three 1970s DW female companions dying way before 80 in the last couple of years?
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

Stofsk

#956 Post by Stofsk »

Um, because people die? It's sort of a fact of life.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#957 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

That's quitter talk

Oxymoron

#958 Post by Oxymoron »

Long-term exposure to make-up chemicals :v
No.

evilsoup

#959 Post by evilsoup »

shame

RogueIce
#YOLO

#960 Post by RogueIce »

link to pic plz

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#961 Post by Big Orangutan »

Stofsk wrote:Um, because people die? It's sort of a fact of life.
We're all going to die and we can go at any second, but when Babylon 5 is a show that's still well under three decades old, it seems misfortunate to have a significant number of former regular cast members dead already, with seemingly over half of them dying roughly two decades or more before the average Western life expectancy. Star Trek people seemingly fare better, though to be fair it has a wider cast base and the key supporting cast members from The Wrath of Khan (Bibi Besch, Merritt Butrick, and Paul Winfield) did not have very good runs (with poor Merritt Butrick not even hitting 30).

timmy

#962 Post by timmy »

Do you think JMS had the catering truck spiked with mercury or something?
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Oxymoron

#963 Post by Oxymoron »

It's the makeup I tell ya.

I remember hearing the case of that actress, I don't remember from which series, who had to resign / break her contract because the makeup they were using caused her severe allergic reactions.

So, I suppose in the case of G'Kar's and Londo's actors this may already gives a beginning of an hypothesis. I don't know for the other actors though.
No.

xon

#964 Post by xon »

Oxymoron wrote:It's the makeup I tell ya.
A lot of makeup is really fucking horrible for your health.
I remember hearing the case of that actress, I don't remember from which series, who had to desist from her contract because the makeup they were using caused her severe allergic reactions.
Yup it was Farscape, all the blue makeup for the character Zhaan fucked with Virginia Hey's kidneys.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#965 Post by Big Orangutan »

Yeah, if you put on heavy skin make up for many episodes for two or three years (like Virginia Hey) that wouldn't do your skin (or its pours) very good and that's likely why for similar reasons Jeri Ryan was only in full Borg costume in short spurts and why Peter Weller decided to walk out on his Robocop role after two movies. Rebecca Romijn had a hard time as Mystique as well and disliked the heavy skin make up.

But what about the deceased ex-B5 cast that didn't wear rubber or paint? Though Michale O'Hare was battling mental illness.

Oxymoron

#966 Post by Oxymoron »

Can you give us a quick list of the deceased and their roles ?
No.

timmy

#967 Post by timmy »

xon wrote:Yup it was Farscape, all the blue makeup for the character Zhaan fucked with Virginia Hey's kidneys.
Well thanks Xon, I've just lost half an hour looking up yt clips of childhood-era Aus tv shows.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Stofsk

#968 Post by Stofsk »

It's just bad luck for the most part. Richard Biggs died from, according to his wiki, complications resulting from a surgery he had. Andreas Katsulas had cancer. Michael O'Hare suffered for decades with a mental illness and died eventually of a heart attack. These things happen. They're terrible but there's nothing else to glean from this other than they died. Babylon 5 isn't even unique in this, Star Trek has had its principals die too - James Doohan had parkinson's, alzheimer's, and a few other conditions. Deforest Kelley died from stomach cancer. BO has already observed that three people involved in Wrath of Khan have died too.

evilsoup

#969 Post by evilsoup »

xon wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:It's the makeup I tell ya.
A lot of makeup is really fucking horrible for your health.
I remember hearing the case of that actress, I don't remember from which series, who had to desist from her contract because the makeup they were using caused her severe allergic reactions.
Yup it was Farscape, all the blue makeup for the character Zhaan fucked with Virginia Hey's kidneys.
IIRC something similar happened on Andromeda, that's why that annoying quirky alien's makeup changed partway through

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#970 Post by Big Orangutan »

Stofsk wrote:James Doohan had parkinson's, alzheimer's, and a few other conditions.
He had many years of declining health but rolled on until he died at the respectable age of 85.
Deforest Kelley died from stomach cancer.
Deforest Kelly died from cancer, but he still died two decades older than Andreas Katsulas who died from a similar ailment (and both seemed like heavy smokers). Majel Barrett died from leukemia at the not especially tragic but not amazing age of 76.

Here's a shortlist of B5's dead cast members:

Andreas Katsulas (59)

Richard Biggs (44)

Michael O'Hare (60)

Jeff Conaway (60)

Jeff Choate (49) and Robin Sachs (61) could included as well, but they were re-occurring guest actors who did a lot of other stuff.

The original Captain Christopher Pike from Star Trek's pilot episode, Jeffrey Hunter, was tragically killed at the age of only 42 from a brain injury related to a movie stunt gone wrong.

xon

#971 Post by xon »

timmy wrote:
xon wrote:Yup it was Farscape, all the blue makeup for the character Zhaan fucked with Virginia Hey's kidneys.
Well thanks Xon, I've just lost half an hour looking up yt clips of childhood-era Aus tv shows.
:australia:

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#972 Post by Big Orangutan »

Virginia Hey played a minor Bond girl that was made to flash her hooters at henchmen by Timothy Dalton.

Crazedwraith

#973 Post by Crazedwraith »

Does anyone ever get the feeling that BO is just a very advanced chatbot spewing out random factoids?
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#974 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

A very patriotic chatbot

Veef

#975 Post by Veef »

maybe he's a hologram

computer!

end poster