Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

The troll forum, with 50% more bowel movements.
Oxymoron

Re: Testing Chat V: The Final Mysterious Island: Miami Beach

#1201 Post by Oxymoron »

To be fair, the only one novel of the HH series I have read so far is the very first one. I haven't touched the others.

And I found pretty funny / off-putting how closed-minded the Space-Marine were in that novel regarding the new things they discover through their galactic rampage Great Crusade, when they're supposedly this bunch of super-rational übermensch, the best that Humanity has to offer in nearly all domains.

You can see the seeds are already there for what's going to follow...
No.

timmy

#1202 Post by timmy »

Oxymoron wrote:To be fair, the only one novel of the HH series I have read so far is the very first one. I haven't touched the others.
I opened this page of the thread and thought you lot were badmouthing Honor Harrington

Don't you dare say a thing about Her Grace :argh:
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Oxymoron

#1203 Post by Oxymoron »

Isn't Honor Harrington basically "Masters and Commanders" IN SPACE! ?
No.

Crazedwraith

#1204 Post by Crazedwraith »

It's Horatio Hornblower in space. Some else does the Aubrey/Maturin in space.

And Timmy: Pfft. As of book 2, Honor's skill seems to be throwing her ship in the jaws of certain death and managing to get through it only killing most of her people.

Also
The rewards she gets at the end of that book. Seem excessive for the early point in the series. Medals plus a double set of honours. Seriously I hope that reprimand for beating up the envoy comes back in a big way.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

xon

#1205 Post by xon »

adr wrote:
Asynchronous (overlapped) read and write operations are not supported by anonymous pipes.
ugh windows i love you but sometimes you make my life hard
Just use named pipes with a unique name. :science:

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1206 Post by adr »

aye

at first i was trying to use a function in the d stdlib but tbh libraries tend to suck. they wrap up the real stuff so it is hard to get at it and then changing/adding stuff is a pain

this called CreatePipe and then wrapped it in a C FILE* which was in turn wrapped in a raii D File struct (the idea being compatible with C functions while not having to think about fclosing it)

that might be ok, but then if i want to call some other function, like ReadFileEx or PeekNamedPipe that the wrappers don't wrap, you've gotta dig through all the bullshit to finally get your hands on the HANDLE

(interestingly the D File does provide a method called fileno that "returns the operating system file number" that works well enough on linux. but on windows it still returns an int. am i supposed to cast it? or is this now something different? i tried casting and windows complained it was invalid, so apparently it is something different. god damn it.)

but then of course, you finally get the HANDLE.... and now it turns out you have to change the creation function. and they don't offer a version with createnamed pipe. and even if they did, they prolly wouldn't expose the FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED anyway!

so fuck it all, i ditched the library and did it myself and then things went a lot smoother

that's generally my experience with libraries though. even when they actually do what you want, figuring out how the fuck they work means knowing the implementation anyway, so you might as well just do it yourself

obvious exceptions being stuff like win32 itself. it helps that it is well documented. <3 msdn.

encryption too, that shit is easy to bug up doing it yourself.

but often when a library is implementing something trivial or is wrapping something and promising to make it easier to use, it doesn't turn out very well outside of the author's narrow use case
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

timmy

#1207 Post by timmy »

Crazedwraith wrote:And Timmy: Pfft. As of book 2, Honor's skill seems to be throwing her ship in the jaws of certain death and managing to get through it only killing most of her people.
I'm up to book eleven and they keep finding shiny gratitude to bestow on her. Not to mention
She got her man with the support and encouragement of his wife, who spends her time talking to cats.

I love this series.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

adr

#1208 Post by adr »

so i have two book things going on today

for one the missionaries are coming back and they want to talk about how their scripture makes me feel

i do not understand the question. i don't think i could even answer that if we were talking about star trek, it doesn't really make me feel, at its best, it makes me think. and i certainly have a bigger emotional connection to star trek than i do the book of mormon

soooo yeah. i guess i'd better do my assigned reading soon tho, they'll be here in 90 mins.

(lol yeah i never did assigned reading in school but i'm actually doing it for the ppl who wanna talk about jesus)

and the second one is i just got contacted by an acquisition editor at a publishing company earlier today 'trying to headhunt [me] to write a book for us'

i replied it is an interesting idea but i don't think i'm qualified cuz i've never written a book before. (though the topic is something i could prolly talk about, practical D coding)

and he just shot back " A large percentage of our authors are first-time book writers but long-term bloggers." and that he's read my other internet posts and thinks i'd be ok and besides they have professional editors to clean up rough edges and give writing feedback etc

maybe i'll give it a try. at least being a technical book, it won't be expected to be emotionally hard hitting!

Oxymoron

#1209 Post by Oxymoron »

Having "written a book" is the kind of thing that shine on a resume, so I say you should totally go for it.

Or you could be a lazy bum and let the opportunity of a lifetime go to waste.

Your call.
No.

evilsoup

#1210 Post by evilsoup »

do it
you muppet

adr

#1211 Post by adr »

i'm looking into the company now and as far as i can tell the way it works is the acquisition editors solicit ideas or go looking for potential writers and then have to take it to their bosses for approval before writing up the actual contract.

so what the hell, there's no commitment yet, i'll talk to them. let's see where it goes.

Oxymoron

#1212 Post by Oxymoron »

I wrote:wifi on Linux is one of the most absolute piece of shit pain in the ass broken element of software I have ever had the displeasure of having to deal with
ADR, thoughts ?
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1213 Post by RogueIce »

Oxymoron wrote:
I wrote:wifi on Linux is one of the most absolute piece of shit pain in the ass broken element of software I have ever had the displeasure of having to deal with
ADR, thoughts ?
I think I summed up his response. :sun:

evilsoup

#1214 Post by evilsoup »

I've actually never had problems with wifi (or any hardware, apart from the scanner on an HP printer that was on its last legs anyway) on linux
but I've been called a smug git for saying that before lol

Oxymoron

#1215 Post by Oxymoron »

Well, if you have the -right- hardware, it's cool

but the problem, at least with wifi USB dongles, is that most manufacturers only bother writing windows-based drivers. Which mean that, even with the tools available in Linux allowing to use on the platform hardware driver that were originally written for windows, if you don't have the right version of this or that, or if the driver wasn't that well written in the first place (which, dear dog, is far more common than it should be), mean that you'll have to fiddle with options here and there, edit files, and dog know what else. And when you're not a Linux expert in the first place, this become far more frustrating than it should be.

So, basically, I don't doubt the fact that you never had problems, but this might be a case of luck or you knowing your stuff rather than the system not being problematic.
Last edited by Oxymoron on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.

Oxymoron

#1216 Post by Oxymoron »

RogueIce wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:
ADR, thoughts ?
I think I summed up his response. :sun:
Well, Linux isn't user friendly (though that can be argued, depending on what kind of user we are talking about), but at least as a development platform for low-level applications (close to the hardware) it's a very comfortable thing to work with and on (by the standards of the industry...)
No.

Oxymoron

#1217 Post by Oxymoron »

"Well, ___________"

Hmmm... I should find other ways to start my posts...
No.

evilsoup

#1218 Post by evilsoup »

which linux is this
I mean Ubuntu has a pretty good community tech support network (askubuntu.com and ubuntuforums.org), if you can't figure it out from the online stuffs you could ask for help in one of those

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1219 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Oxymoron wrote:"Well, ___________"

Most of the time when I say something I start with "so"

so you're not in a bad spot

Oxymoron

#1220 Post by Oxymoron »

Luckily, I haven't to deal with Linux stuff since the middle of June. it was more of a general commentary.

What brought this remark is that someone I converse with on Skype has some difficulties setting up his wifi, using Debian.
No.

Oxymoron

#1221 Post by Oxymoron »

Infinity Biscuit wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:"Well, ___________"

Most of the time when I say something I start with "so"

so you're not in a bad spot
There's only so many operative words and opening statements in a given language :v

Though maybe I could start trying biblical speak ?

"Thus ____"
Last edited by Oxymoron on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1222 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

sometimes I start with "so, like," :L

Oxymoron

#1223 Post by Oxymoron »

Since I originally joined SDN (which was the first "real" time I conversed with native english-speaking people, at least on a regular basis)

as the ease with which I converse in English improved

the actual level and quality of my use of the language has consistently dropped :v

At least that's the feeling I get.

If I want to be positive, maybe it's because I spot more easily the bad language elements ?
No.

Oxymoron

#1224 Post by Oxymoron »

me wrote:
someone wrote:Hitler's parents were jewish and he was jewish(the ethnicity originating from jeruseluem and I don't mean the religion)
[citation needed]
No.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#1225 Post by Bakustra »

Oxymoron wrote:Since I originally joined SDN (which was the first "real" time I conversed with native english-speaking people, at least on a regular basis)

as the ease with which I converse in English improved

the actual level and quality of my use of the language has consistently dropped :v

At least that's the feeling I get.

If I want to be positive, maybe it's because I spot more easily the bad language elements ?
You're probably starting to speak more idiomatically and informally, which means that your language will inevitably become rougher-sounding as it gets more casual. You can make the francais match by hanging out on the streets of Quebec City, though. :v