Weeaboo shit thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Veef

Re: Weeaboo shit thread

#1026 Post by Veef »

Zablorg wrote:and at the end of the day after she thinks she's screwed up yet again (in front of senpai who just continues to think she's cute and needs a little help), Tomoko practically sprints home crying while the intro theme plays.

:neckbeard: SENPAI NOTICED ME :neckbeard:

I think her attitude at the end was just the old "it can't be helped" attitude. Although I think the show really just suffered from having to end because the manga doesn't have a definitive end (does it?). It really just feels like it was an arbitrary and hence very artificial ending.

But at least that run home sequence was cool.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1027 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

The manga is still ongoing.

Veef

#1028 Post by Veef »

:prof: mystery solved :prof:

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1029 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Nagi no Asukara was kind of fascinating. It has what I'd charitably describe as a somewhat wonky depiction of male-female relationships, but at the same time it's an original work with a neat premise (middle schoolers from UNDER THE SEA have to integrate into a middle school on the surface), has some cool imagery and design work and has a character I can only describe as Setsuna F. Seiei CASANOVA. I'm going to give it another episode for sure.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1030 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

I wasn't even remotely interested in the second seas of Infinite Stratos

And then I saw this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Veef

#1031 Post by Veef »

https://twitter.com/38miyoji/status/386 ... 60/photo/1

90's moe vs 10's moe

an evolution in the decline of japanimation

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1032 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Man it's such a huge improvement

I also watched KILL la KILL. It was as visually and kinetically impressive as I was expecting, though it is approximately 2000% Imaishi, so brace yourself.

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#1033 Post by Zablorg »

ford what can i expect of imaishi

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1034 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Ok I brought a friend along and managed to get through the rest of Gatchaman Crowds. Some parts were very rough but I liked it.

Baks if you read this thread I recommend you check it out. From stuff you've said earlier I figure you'd like a superhero story that explicitly rejects the fascist and masculist cores that the genre is so rife with.

Plus Hajime and Rui are just super great characters.

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#1035 Post by Zablorg »

i saw kill la kill

it was like nothing i have ever seen

also it became fanservicey in an exponential way wow

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1036 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Zablorg wrote:ford what can i expect of imaishi
He's one of the most exciting and kinetic animators of recent history. He's the foremost extant student of the legendary Kanada Yoshinori. He was a top level staffer at GAINAX and when he left to form his own studio he took a bunch of them with him. As a result his works tend to be quite striking visually. He's been responsible for Re: Cutie Honey, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

Whiiich should probably tell you something about what his shows contain lol. He has a crass style and visual language. Gotta brace yourself, as Zab perhaps did not :v

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1037 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Satsuki-sama!!!

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#1038 Post by Zablorg »

man i watched the episode of Kyoukai no Kanata

I didn't like it very much, honestly? Visually I found it was kind of ugly, weirdly enough. And I just kinda don't like the main characters very much? Obviously how it works with anything is that they grow on you, but the general feeling I get is just blegh.

>:3

#1039 Post by >:3 »

Oh come on Commie, you can do better than "goku uniforms".

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1040 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

That's literally what's being said, though. Goku seifuku.

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#1041 Post by Zablorg »

So did Kill la Kill look like an older anime to anyone else? It just seemed to use simpler lighting effects and stuff like that.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1042 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Most television anime don't really have lighting effects.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1043 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

In any case it has all kinds of quite deliberate stylistic stuff in its presentation. I don't think it looks like an 'old' anime because that's not really a particularly meaningful comparison, because technical quality of animation isn't really dependent on era. I actually think KILL la KILL demonstrates the effect of Studio TRIGGER's familiarity with non-standard, computer based techniques, most of which are pretty recent innovations.

#1044 Post by >:3 »

And what does gokuseifuku mean?

http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?enc=UTF- ... x=20879900
〈ゴク〉
[goku]

1 果て。終わり。「極月」

1 The limit. The end. "(gokugetsu)Last month of the year"

2 きわめて。「極上・極秘・極細(ごくぼそ)・極楽/至極」

2 Exceedingly, decisively. "(gokujō)first rate,finest quality" "(gokuhi)absolute secrecy" "(gokuboso) superfine" "(gokuraku) paradise" "(shigoku) very, extremely"
Japanese speakers can understand it immediately, especially with 極制服 written out on the screen, but it's meaningless to anyone else. Apparently they're just using Crunchyroll's subs so at least they didn't come up with it themselves, but it's still disappointing.

Looking around I find that Underwater translated it as ultima uniform, which is much better.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1045 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Why is it disappointing? It's a name, it doesn't have to be translated into anything.

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#1046 Post by Zablorg »

I think it's less of a name and more straight up usage of adjectives, which is why you'd expect it to be translated along with everything else.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1047 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

While I don't think it's untranslatable, the result so far has been 'ultima uniform' which is crap so I'm fine with it as is.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1048 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

So anyway, I watched Infinite Stratos 2 episode 1. 70% of it was Laura and Charlotte going on a date/adventure and was basically great. The remaining 30% was everything I hate about Infinite Stratos. It's almost frustrating how those two have to exist within this whole other thing which is awful, because they're genuinely really fun characters.

I also watched Coppelion. Go Hands was basically the correct choice for a show like this, given the strength of their scenery and background work in K. It has that distinctive Go Hands look from all the colour filters, too. It has an interesting premise too, but I'll reserve judgment until something more happens.

I watched Golden Time. Once again a slightly wonky depiction of relationships, but the setting being a law school appeals. Also it's got Horie Yui in it which is a plus. I'm willing to give it another episode.

Aaaand I watched Kyousougiga. The first episode is called a 'recap' and is basically a higher quality release of the original ONA, so worth price of admission. The new OP carries the same kind of zany energy that made the show appealing back when it was released. I'm really glad that it's getting to continue.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1049 Post by Darksi4190 »

I'm guessing the stuff you don't like about IS is closely linked to it being a Harem anime?

I think they stopped being funny for me when I was like nineteen.

joviwan

#1050 Post by joviwan »

I apolgize if this is a stupid question that's already been answered, but it's been a while since I tried to be 'in the loop' on anime.

Attack on Titan appears to be the hot shit for a lot of people right now. If I wanted to start digging into it, where should I go for the best experience?