videojuegos

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
joviwan

Re: videojuegos

#851 Post by joviwan »

It depends on how it's implemented.

In Baldur's Gate, losing only punishes you to your last quick save, so you can keep up on it and quick save a lot to keep yourself not losing any progress (because that's the real problem with losing: you lose progress).

Either way: JJ, if you enjoy DA:O, you might enjoy Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and its sequel, for a similar, if more retro, feel. They aren't too expensive, and they've been going up on steam sales lately, too. Also, you can play the entire game using only Mouse and Spacebar (though I suggest some way to hit the Q button, or remap it).

Manus Dei

#852 Post by Manus Dei »

Baldurs Gate is one of my favourite games but in the year 2013 AD there is no good reason to inflict THAC0 anew on anyone
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

joviwan

#853 Post by joviwan »

What's probably the saddest thing is that I've started mentally converting the numbers into 3rd edition rules so I can better understand them.

Like, my THAC0 on my fighter is -7 (which is +23 to hit!)
Her armor class is -8 (Which is AC 28!)

Agent Bert Macklin

#854 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

There is arithmetic in Baldur's Gate?

joviwan

#855 Post by joviwan »

Baldur's Gate is based on 2nd Edition AD&D. Bits of it were changed to work better on PC, but... The user manual for the game is about as close as you can get to just being a straight up Players Handbook without actually qualifying for use at the table.

Agent Bert Macklin

#856 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I'll pirate that stuff instead of buying it.

joviwan

#857 Post by joviwan »

If you like it, please consider buying it (the guys doing the re-release are small and can use the income).

I mean, if you want to. I ain't your mom.

Agent Bert Macklin

#858 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I have set sale alerts, so if they go on sale, I'll buy them. Right now, $45 for two games is a bit much.

joviwan

#859 Post by joviwan »

Fair enough! Good luck.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#860 Post by RogueIce »

Manus Dei wrote:in the year 2013 AD
war was beginning

:v

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#861 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

I picked up Gran Turismo 6 today

I had forgotten the taste

Of the Real Driving Simulator

zhaktronz

#862 Post by zhaktronz »

I've been playing forza 5

I know this pressure!

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#863 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

I haven't played a racing game since, like, GT4. It's not even a genre I normally like, but I saw a couple of videos which were basically about nothing other than having passion of cars and racing that sold me on GT6. And since I've started playing it I've been feeling this quite unusual sense of connection with the pretty simple act of driving around a course. Like I'll watch a replay and see where I came around on the inside of the bend and overtook some guy and be all 'awww yeahhhh' which I don't think I have done in other games very often.

Like the game just oozes a weird kind of charisma that keeps sucking me in. Like the video of a guy carving the Mercedes super concept car out of a huge block of wood was just so pointless and compelling.

zhaktronz

#864 Post by zhaktronz »

Ford man that is exactly what I'm feeling in forza 5

We are car racing brothers today

It's pretty amusing how effective selling your car game on passion and driving experience is

zhaktronz

#865 Post by zhaktronz »

Like there's a really simple pleasure to be has from the purely....kinaesthetic? Experience of driving a car around a track. It's a kind of purity that's speaks to us of simpler, less complicated times, where all that mattered was doing something real and physical

Agent Bert Macklin

#866 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Anyone know if the PS4 allows you to download and play the PS3 games you bought via the PSN?

Losonti Tokash

#867 Post by Losonti Tokash »

No.

Agent Bert Macklin

#868 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Well, at least now I know to not buy a PS4 for at least a few years until they get that streaming stuff working right.

Losonti Tokash

#869 Post by Losonti Tokash »

They said they might look into backwards compatibility at an undetermined date (much like most of their announced features) but I doubt it. Gamers have shown they're willing to pay a premium for "HD" rereleases of previous gen games so expect more of that if you want to play older games on new systems.

Agent Bert Macklin

#870 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Losonti Tokash wrote:They said they might look into backwards compatibility at an undetermined date (much like most of their announced features) but I doubt it. Gamers have shown they're willing to pay a premium for "HD" rereleases of previous gen games so expect more of that if you want to play older games on new systems.
Yeah. I want to play the FFX HD upgrade, but it's on PS3 and not PS4 as far as I know. I also have The RE games on my PSN account and Lego LotR. So if I ever get a PS4 in the coming years, I want to be able to play them without having to purchase a used PS3.

>:3

#871 Post by >:3 »

Cloud in drag in HD fucking when????!?!
>:3

Agent Bert Macklin

#872 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

>:3 wrote:Cloud in drag in HD fucking when????!?!
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/18/final ... arch-2014/

Expect it to be pushed back again.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#873 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

zhaktronz wrote:Ford man that is exactly what I'm feeling in forza 5

We are car racing brothers today

It's pretty amusing how effective selling your car game on passion and driving experience is
zhaktronz wrote:Like there's a really simple pleasure to be has from the purely....kinaesthetic? Experience of driving a car around a track. It's a kind of purity that's speaks to us of simpler, less complicated times, where all that mattered was doing something real and physical
I think it helps that these games tend to be visually really attractive and kinetic, so even though it's a fake car going around in circles on a fake track the experience can be pretty powerful. It helps that success in a good racing game really comes down to your own skills, and developing them produces really noticeable results.

I don't drive and I don't like driving very much because of having to deal with road rules and traffic lights and so on. But a game like GT or Forza or NFS allows me to simulate actually driving a really amazing car (or a trusty Honda Fit) in a beautiful location with no restrictions except the track itself. I think that's kind of fascinating, and might be part of why it's so compelling, along with all the 'there was a huge team of people with a dream behind this' stuff.

Also man the lunar rover is hard to drive :v

joviwan

#874 Post by joviwan »

Does it simulate ground and gravity conditions of the moon when driving the rover?

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#875 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

The game told me to be prepared for the Moon's low gravity and it is floaty as shit. Ground traction is pretty awful and the vehicle does feel like it weighs only 35kg. I don't know how accurate it is to the moon (I've never driven there) but it feels pretty authentic!