Share your favorite Star Wars memories

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
RogueIce
#YOLO

Re: Share your favorite Star Wars memories

#326 Post by RogueIce »

Yeah I'm confused. Both with the why and the "Darkstar smiling" part. The why I don't get, because it's not like GL couldn't take whatever he wanted from the EU anyway (the Outrider showing up in ANH SE, IIRC Coruscant was originally called something else, the EU started using that name and GL ran with it for the prequels).

Also why would Darkstar be happy? Is it because he likes lower canon firepower? I vaguely recall that, picking stuff from the books and then people going, "Nuh-uh the movies vaporized asteroids!" But at the same time, 200 gigatons is also equal canon now so...seems a little pyrrhic in that regard.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#327 Post by RogueIce »

Darkstar's Canon Page wrote:Objectively speaking, the fact is, was, and remains that the EU is no more a part of the story of the Star Wars films than the Star Trek novels are for Trek films.
Actually Veef this seems like the direct opposite of what Darkstar was saying, so how did he "win" again? I'm confused.

Veef

#328 Post by Veef »

i was being facetious sorry

thejester

#329 Post by thejester »

never joke about canon policy

RogueIce
#YOLO

#330 Post by RogueIce »

thejester wrote:never joke about canon policy
serious business :colbert:

RogueIce
#YOLO

#331 Post by RogueIce »

Bob the Gunslinger

#332 Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Darksi4190 wrote:So most people are pegging the switch from Dark Horse to marvel as the point at which the current Canon will be discarded and a new one adopted to free space up for the sequels. I wonder, will there be an official announcement, and a splitting of continuity, with one universe continuing the original and one synced up with the movies, or will they just start making stuff that ignores previous material?

Maybe they'll make a subtle break between 'old' canon and 'new' canon. For example, after Nemesis, the Star Trek Lit universe has focused more on continuity and advancing the plot across the whole universe, with the writers free to make changes. I find the new Star Trek work to be much more enjoyable than the crap they put out when the writers' hands were tied by the need to fit into a continuing 'canon'.

Stofsk

#333 Post by Stofsk »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:
Darksi4190 wrote:So most people are pegging the switch from Dark Horse to marvel as the point at which the current Canon will be discarded and a new one adopted to free space up for the sequels. I wonder, will there be an official announcement, and a splitting of continuity, with one universe continuing the original and one synced up with the movies, or will they just start making stuff that ignores previous material?

Maybe they'll make a subtle break between 'old' canon and 'new' canon. For example, after Nemesis, the Star Trek Lit universe has focused more on continuity and advancing the plot across the whole universe, with the writers free to make changes. I find the new Star Trek work to be much more enjoyable than the crap they put out when the writers' hands were tied by the need to fit into a continuing 'canon'.
The old Trek lit was a hodgepodge of basically licenced fanfic. You had a few gems in there, like John Ford's The Final Reflection and anything written by Diane Duane, but holy shit a lot of dross too.

But see, every writer of every Star Trek novel ever published has had the understanding that nothing they write is 'canon', because the only thing that is canon is what's on film. I would actually consider that to be pretty liberating myself. There's still effort to make sure what they write fits into the continuity, particular now where there is more focus on extended novel series. (like Destiny and Vanguard)

evilsoup

#334 Post by evilsoup »

if I was in charge of star trek, I'd totally commission a next next generation bunch of books, about the enterprise F or something

RogueIce
#YOLO

#335 Post by RogueIce »

Stofsk wrote:
Bob the Gunslinger wrote:Maybe they'll make a subtle break between 'old' canon and 'new' canon. For example, after Nemesis, the Star Trek Lit universe has focused more on continuity and advancing the plot across the whole universe, with the writers free to make changes. I find the new Star Trek work to be much more enjoyable than the crap they put out when the writers' hands were tied by the need to fit into a continuing 'canon'.
The old Trek lit was a hodgepodge of basically licenced fanfic. You had a few gems in there, like John Ford's The Final Reflection and anything written by Diane Duane, but holy shit a lot of dross too.

But see, every writer of every Star Trek novel ever published has had the understanding that nothing they write is 'canon', because the only thing that is canon is what's on film. I would actually consider that to be pretty liberating myself. There's still effort to make sure what they write fits into the continuity, particular now where there is more focus on extended novel series. (like Destiny and Vanguard)
I think that was the best. On the one hand, they can't blatantly contradict the series: no saying, for instance, "Oh by the way Picard never actually commanded the USS Stargazer here's the REAL story." Or maybe they could, I don't know.

But at the same time they didn't have any particular restrictions, probably. Well okay, probably couldn't kill off the E-D's bridge crew, but that's about it.

Though from what I understand, they didn't even focus on the Big Name Ships anyway, unlike SW EU where the Power Trio were involved 95% of the time. That, by itself, is what makes it liberating. "Here's what the rest of Starfleet that isn't the USS Enterprise is up to." That's probably the better way to handle an Expanded Universe than the way SW did it. Sure, you could use the TNG, DS9 and VOY cast whenever. But I could be speaking out of my ass here because I never read any of the Trek EU and maybe I'm wildly off base.

Still, to bring it back to Star Wars: if you knew anything about the "behind the scenes" of LFL, you'd know (for instance) that the whole subplot around Luke's mother in the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy was literally a waste of time, because there's no way LFL was letting that fascinating tidbit of Skywalker Family history be told in a book. So even before the PT came out, one would know that was such a pointless diversion to keep Luke conveniently out of the way or whatever until the very end. That's just lame.

Stofsk

#336 Post by Stofsk »

A good chunk of the trek novels actually are about the various TV show characters. Like 90% of them, at least.

As far as Wars EU goes, I just don't understand why they bother trying to keep shit inclusive to begin with. Like I'm happy to go 'fuck episode 7, The Thrawn trilogy is my episode 7, fuck you Disney' but you can't tell me those books exist in the same place as anything ever written by Kevin J. Anderson.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#337 Post by RogueIce »

Stofsk wrote:A good chunk of the trek novels actually are about the various TV show characters. Like 90% of them, at least.
Oh. :(

Maybe I'm just limited data-sampling here, most of what I've heard about Trek EU is about the ships and Captains that weren't from the series. Maybe because they're the consistently good ones, relatively speaking?
Stofsk wrote:As far as Wars EU goes, I just don't understand why they bother trying to keep shit inclusive to begin with. Like I'm happy to go 'fuck episode 7, The Thrawn trilogy is my episode 7, fuck you Disney' but you can't tell me those books exist in the same place as anything ever written by Kevin J. Anderson.
Wookieepedia is pretty crazy in that regard, like with the whole Barriss Offee thing.

But yeah, it kind of invites itself with the way LFL ran things for so long. I mean, you watch the TCW finale, and logically that's basically the end of Offee's time in the Jedi Order. But since LFL's stance for so long was basically, "Everything is canon unless explicitly contradicted," and run as a sort of 'line-item veto" thing, you still have people saying that maybe, somehow, she comes back to the Jedi Order and gets a Padawan and dies in Order 66 even though that makes no sense given what we saw from a higher canon source.

Same thing with Evan Piell. TCW kills him off on the show, contradicts some novel series. But that's okay! Said novel series totally happened, despite Piell being a central figure, it's just you see, some other Jedi in Piell's place now! Some nameless Jedi. Somehow. Because God forbid we look at the practical consequences of a contradiction between sources instead of trying to cling to everything ever published.

I mean sure, you can argue the merits of letting TCW make those changes in the first place, but I think SW would have been better served with a Trek-like approach to continuity, where everything not filmed is at the explicit mercy of the filmed material, that it never has and never will restrict what the show and movie writers do.

The only way All Inclusive works is if you have that kind of veto of, "Wait the books did this, sorry George you can't change that for the TV show or the new movie," which was clearly not the case for Star Wars. GL did what he wanted, Leland Chee would contort himself to make it all fit...somehow.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#338 Post by Darksi4190 »

My copy of the second "Clone Wars" Comic TPB arrived today. There are eight of them, collecting the issues of the "Republic" comic and various one-shots that covered the period in between Episode II and Episode III. They are one of my favorite parts of the EU and I hope I get to collect them all before they run out due to Dark Horse loosing the license.

Veef

#339 Post by Veef »

RogueIce
#YOLO

#340 Post by RogueIce »

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/23/star- ... interview/
We pretty quickly got to this idea that though Rebel Alliance that was such an integral part of the movies, we know next to nothing about the formation of at least in terms of the movies and The Clone Wars. There was nothing in the canon that had delved deep into it.
SUCK IT THE FORCE UNLEASHED

:smug:

Darksi4190

#341 Post by Darksi4190 »

I'm crossing my fingers that Starkiller will feature prominently in the show, just to see your reaction Rogue.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#342 Post by RogueIce »

There are some things we just don't joke about bub. :argh:

Darksi4190

#343 Post by Darksi4190 »

Netflix?

Guess i'll have to pirate the eps legitimately purchase an account to view them.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#344 Post by RogueIce »

That is going to be SO AWESOME :flagg:

Darksi4190

#345 Post by Darksi4190 »

Just saw the trailer for TCW S6, and it looks really cool, but it looks like they're changing the Sith homeworld from Korriban to some place called "Moriband."

I guess they can't go out without one last middle finger to the lit fans.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#346 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:Just saw the trailer for TCW S6, and it looks really cool, but it looks like they're changing the Sith homeworld from Korriban to some place called "Moriband."

I guess they can't go out without one last middle finger to the lit fans.
Your comment about the crew living on the tears of EU fans made me smile on SB. :sun:

Darksi4190

#347 Post by Darksi4190 »

RogueIce
#YOLO

#348 Post by RogueIce »

I'll be rereading the Wraith Squadron novels in his memory this weekend. :(

Darksi4190

#349 Post by Darksi4190 »

So i've been thinking about the Korriban/Moraband retcon that's coming, and I think this is what's going to push me firmly into the Anti-TCW camp. I've been mostly ambivalent about the whole canon debate so far, because the things the show has retconned have been things I was either unconcerned with (Adi-Gallia's death) or actively disliked (Traviss' take on the Mandalorians).

If they nuke Korriban, then they nuke KOTOR, TOR, and a great many of my favorite SW stories get tossed out the window. Whether i'm willing to support further animated projects by the TCW team such as rebels is going to depend on how this last S6 Yoda arc plays out.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#350 Post by RogueIce »

Or it turns out to be a different planet altogether. Though worst case, they just change the name and keep the rest? From what I saw of the trailer the planet was pretty much a red desert with big statues, which is what I remember from playing TOR. Not exactly a killer retcon.