Testing Chat Episode VI: Return of the Chat

The troll forum, with 50% more bowel movements.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Testing Chat Episode VI: Return of the Chat

#626 Post by Darksi4190 »

Straha wrote:Yes. The followup of one.

So fucking fun. I'll even admit to having a long-running head cannon to how it would have resolved itself and the future of that world.
was four the one where Nitram's robot faction burned earth and everybody else had to show up with their entire fleets like big damn heroes and give him the boot?

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#627 Post by adr »

so i'm looking at that thread linked earlier with alyrium
Can I tell which one is true? No. No I cannot.
i promise you that if you sincerely pray the holy ghost will witness to you that these things are true

but how do you know that the holy ghost is true?!?!??!?!

i had this discussion a few weeks ago, i was remarking that there's always some ultimately arbitrary base condition that you just have to accept and even if you weigh these, you have to decide how to measure that, and there's the implicit value proposition there that weighing is relevant!

i don't mean this as being... well, meaningful in any way, just a bit amusing. i think, ironically, the religious thing is at least a bit more honest: despite making the claim that there's a grand truth, they know it comes down to some kind of personal decision/testimony, whereas guys like alyrium insist (quite vigorously!) that they are Objectively the One True Church and all other ideas just serve satan

you know i feel like i made this point a couple years ago too but i can't seem to find the post any more

oh well, i'm prolly just some religious fifth columnist anyway
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Ralin

#628 Post by Ralin »

Man, Thanas is really bad at recognizing sarcasm today.

thejester

#629 Post by thejester »

would the ultimate response be to question the utility of cutting open frogs

and then allow the argument to carry into the utility of knowledge etc

Gands

#630 Post by Gands »

only one way to find out

Gands

#631 Post by Gands »

i say that because it would be fun to see but i can't be arsed making it happen

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#632 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Darksi4190 wrote:Some people on SB can get really weird with the "likes." Was it just something along the lines of "lol I love that book" or was it something like "The power armor is cool" that someone could conceivably agree with?
I was actually expressing some kind of real opinion, but I was a teenager so it was a shithead opinion.

Not that I mind too much, anything to inflate my like counter :v
Straha wrote:I'll even admit to having a [...] head cannon
pew pew

evilsoup

#633 Post by evilsoup »

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#634 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

That joke is way too crass.

That said, the story is one of those things where you think it would have been made up by a hack author for a shitty novel to make some kind of dumb point.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#635 Post by Big Orangutan »

Hmmmm, he (Cameron) looks like he didn't have had much proper sleep in weeks. Remember when Phoney Blair seemingly aged thirty years in ten after the War on Terror ramped up?
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

adr

#636 Post by adr »

ROFLCOPTER

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DUGYBXJ2bMY

LOLLERSKATES

seriously ROFL LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

this is the funniest thing i have seen for days

evilsoup

#637 Post by evilsoup »

so I just finished reading Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson, and all the gods that was amazing. I normally despise detailed magic systems, but here it really worked. The characters were good enough, and the main point of the story is a bunch of magician-thieves attempting to bring about a successful slave rebellion against God.

In many ways it reminded me of Gurren Lagann, but without all the awful sexisms. The writing style is kind of... eh, it's OK, but sometimes a little bit flat. The rest of it makes up for that, though.

also adr you may be interested to know that the author is a mormon (not that you'd know from the book).

adr

#638 Post by adr »

oh man i was talking about Jeopardy! with the missionaries this week and I said "Arthur chu is the best champion since ken Jennings"

now they aren't allowed to watch tv on the mission so I knew they wouldn't know Arthur chu but the words that came next perplexed me to the extreme

....one of them said "who's ken Jennings" and the other said "what's jeopardy"

ok ken Jennings had his run almost ten years ago now, maybe these folks are too young to know him... but since he's a famous Mormon and I thought all Mormons knew all famous mormons I thought surely they would know...

but what's jeopardy!??! I honestly thought EVERYBODY in America (and a lot of other countries), regardless of age, knew what jeopardy and wheel of fortune are

evilsoup

#639 Post by evilsoup »

it's some kind of a game show, right?

Straha
Lecturer

#640 Post by Straha »

No, I think it's your protection from being tried for the same crime twice. That's why they don't tell Mormon children about Ken Jennings, who wants to tell their kid about the most succesful Mormon criminal?
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Flagg

#641 Post by Flagg »

On my forum there is no Mormon ramblings.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

adr

#642 Post by adr »

evilsoup wrote:it's some kind of a game show, right?
correct. you even answered in the form of a question! very cool. y'know I wonder if it would be acceptable to answer like that in the game. everybody says "what is a game show?" but "a game show, right?" is a question so it seems to me that it should count...

a lot of jeopardy! is just tradition: it is basically the same show every night, and it has been on so long that people grow up with it and just do the same thing

"what is X" might be a written rule, but it might also just be tradition that everyone follows. I wonder which one it is.
Straha wrote:No, I think it's your protection from being tried for the same crime twice.
you're thinking of the fifth amendment

the show is constitutional btw because it is run by a private entity

adr

#643 Post by adr »

Flagg wrote:On my forum there is no Mormon ramblings.
sweet maybe i'll join

LOL

no seriously you have a few interesting threads there, keep up the good work

anyway I just applied for another job. never, not once, have I even gotten a call back from these random job applications, but eh it only takes like 20 mins to slap something together so eh i'll keep doing a few

I did the stack overflow careers listing for the last two and here's how I opened my cover letter to the latest one (to the stack overflow company themselves)
lol why does it pre-fill the cover letter from another company's application? Is that ever really useful?
then I rambled for a few paragraphs without even namedropping atwood or spolsky (in retrospect perhaps I should have. I actually know the names of the founders of this company and used to read their blogs. showing that off might be a plus...) and then closed with "Time to wrap this up, if you're still reading, thanks for taking the time! "

I like to say I don't get call backs because ethe whole system is based on whom you know, not what you know

but it might also because I'm absolutely awful at writing cover letters and resumes and all other form of self promotion

but meh I don't really care anyway. having enough money to actually get ahead would be nice, but having to work full time wouldn't be so nice. what I really want is a part-time work-from-home thing that pays well and the odds are against that anyway so well whatever, we'll see what, if anything, happens

Straha
Lecturer

#644 Post by Straha »

While Alyrium remains among the world's biggest turds, I just wish to say that Simon_Jester is rad and if he posted over here I don't think I'd ever go to TEO again.

[]
Darksi4190 wrote:

So fucking fun. I'll even admit to having a long-running head cannon to how it would have resolved itself and the future of that world.
was four the one where Nitram's robot faction burned earth and everybody else had to show up with their entire fleets like big damn heroes and give him the boot?
YUP. Good times. :smugdog:
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#645 Post by Darksi4190 »

Straha wrote:While Alyrium remains among the world's biggest turds, I just wish to say that Simon_Jester is rad and if he posted over here I don't think I'd ever go to TEO again.

[]
Darksi4190 wrote:

YUP. Good times. :smugdog:
And then Aly tried to make a giant Producers joke and it backfired horribly.....

The one thing that always disappointed me about our SDN STGODs is that they always seemed to be building up towards a "final war" between two alliances of players, but those wars never happened because people were distracted by midterms/finals/family issues/the release of a new video game/etc.

adr

#646 Post by adr »

Straha wrote:While Alyrium remains among the world's biggest turds, I just wish to say that Simon_Jester is rad and if he posted over here I don't think I'd ever go to TEO again.
I think he's posted here a couple of time.

He's one of the folks I feel bad about snapping on over our disagreements back in the day, he really didn't deserve it at all even at the time, and as I got to know him better (well, know in the context of internet discussions anyway), it was clear that there was no reason at all that we couldn't at least disagree gracefully. To his credit too, I don't recall him ever stooping to my low level, even when provoked.

BTW, a STGOD might be interesting to try. One of the things I liked about the Librium arcana forum back in like 2005-2007 was a game we did. idk if it counts as a stgod, but maybe it does. We more or less did a collaborative fic with each of us taking turns writing scenes focusing on our characters/countries building to a story. It didn't go anywhere *near* where we thought it would at first: the initial designated villain ended up being mostly just a catalyst for tensions between our designated allies to come to a head. Good stuff.

(it also straddled the time period between the old and new canons of my own universe. When we started, my thing was like a star trek/magic intergalactic space opera. When we ended, it was mostly-hard sci-fi. So in chapter one we were transwarpping everywhere and beaming down but by chapter idk like fifty it was landing space shuttles and doing hohmann transfers. But nevertheless, it was good timing cuz the story really needed something right in the middle anyway.

....or did the story "need" that because I partially crafted it around the changing universe???????????? but still I think the power disparity politics ended up being a lot more fun than a slug-out between two galactic empires,)

Stofsk

#647 Post by Stofsk »

The only problem I have with Simon_Jester is he sometimes takes forever to make a point. But otherwise he doesn't engage in bullshit posturing like many people on SDN do. Even I can't claim that, to my shame.

adr

#648 Post by adr »

To be fair, I think we're all a bit guilty of loquaciousness at times.

Straha
Lecturer

#649 Post by Straha »

Yes.

Stofsk

#650 Post by Stofsk »

As vices go, it's not that bad.