Testing Chat Episode VI: Return of the Chat

The troll forum, with 50% more bowel movements.
>:3

Re: Testing Chat Episode VI: Return of the Chat

#826 Post by >:3 »

adr wrote: I joined their church (in part) for charitable opportunities, not to be a charitable opportunity and I'd prefer not to even look like one right now.
Maybe you can put the two together and find someone with a job who needs a place to live.
>:3

zhaktronz

#827 Post by zhaktronz »

Christ ADR you are dumb

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#828 Post by adr »

joviwan wrote:Pride is nice and all but if you can get a job through the Mormon Network, that sounds a lot better than bankruptcy and losing your house.
indeed.

i was just afk hanging out with one of the mormon sisters, having a discussion on feminism and pacifism and transphobia and homophobia and racism and church history. good stuff all around. she said "i used to be a bigot but not anymore after getting to actually know some gay people"

indeed, it is amazing how quickly prejudices can evaporate with a personal relationship. she also asked how i became a feminist and i said people always try to put you in a box based on how you look but sometimes you don't want to be in that box.

feminism is saying those boxes don't have to exist at all.
>:3 wrote:Maybe you can put the two together and find someone with a job who needs a place to live.
God willing that he or she should volunteer, perhaps, but since that sounds like rent, it would be unethical for me to actually ask for money in that situation. Rent is the exploitation of the working class by the owning class and I can't take part in that, regardless of my personal situation. (It is tempting to say it is not exploitation, but rather a combined effort to fight the evil banks. For this reason, I would take a voluntary donation. But, if I charged rent as a condition, I'd be no better than that which I seek to destroy.)

So, while I (selfishly) don't seek such opportunities, if someone came to me needing a place to live, i'd open my door with no explicit conditions. In addition to the economic analysis, the Savior has told us to take in strangers, clothe the naked, feed the hungry (Matthew 25:35). He indeed condemned exploiting their situation for personal gain (Matthew 22:39. Matthew 19:24, among many many others).

I obey these commandments from God not because I expect rewards but because it is just the right to do to. I obey expecting it not to be easy but to be hard, however I am confident in the knowledge that the Lord commands nothing except that he should make a way for it to be possible (1 Nephi 3:7).

As you guys might know, in 2013, I bailed out friends to the tune of $8,500 (while having a pre-tax income of merely $13,000; this is why I'm still fairly deep in debt). While I asked them to help me make the minimum payments, it wasn't a precondition and when they failed to make them, I did not become angry nor take back my future offers. Why? Because it was clear they needed it more than me. If they had the money, I'm sure they'd send some my way. Thus, if they don't, it is because they had bigger things to worry about.

(and i saw on the facebook today that their van was repoed, health insurance rates went up, her workman's comp tied up in litigation, and now she's also being sued by her asshole ex-husband for custody of her daughter... so yeah, their problems are much bigger than mine)
zhaktronz wrote:Christ ADR you are dumb
You can be what you want to be!
Those who are persistent are the best!
Sometimes there'll be tears!
But you'll give it your all.

There's nothing to be afraid of!
It's better to be excited!
You've got such big dreams!
That's why you'll give it your all.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

thejester

#829 Post by thejester »

tell you what blows

footnoting

Ralin

#830 Post by Ralin »

This is pretty awesome. I hope that one day I'm important enough that people kill endangered species for my amusement.

Ralin

#831 Post by Ralin »

Oh yeah, and instead of having lung cancer my pot-growing botany teacher will have AIDS. And whenever someone asks if he's sure about something he'll say, "I'm not just sure...I'm HIV positive."

Gands

#832 Post by Gands »

thejester wrote:tell you what blows

footnoting
footnotes 4eva

endnotes neva

Dooey Jo

#833 Post by Dooey Jo »

adr wrote:
>:3 wrote:Maybe you can put the two together and find someone with a job who needs a place to live.
God willing that he or she should volunteer, perhaps, but since that sounds like rent, it would be unethical for me to actually ask for money in that situation. Rent is the exploitation of the working class by the owning class and I can't take part in that, regardless of my personal situation. (It is tempting to say it is not exploitation, but rather a combined effort to fight the evil banks. For this reason, I would take a voluntary donation. But, if I charged rent as a condition, I'd be no better than that which I seek to destroy.)
exploitation occurs during work hours. rent, taxes, whatever, is just the owning class dividing the already produced surplus value up between themselves. (technically workers' house rent is not part of surplus value but part of what determines the real wage, and ultimately takes a cut of the profits of employers. if there were no rents, there would be a great downward pressure on wages, and rise in profits (see: worker dorms))

gotta say joining an organised religion is worse re: exploitation, esp. considering the reactionary mindset they must propagate to exist

blessed are the poor and slaves for they shall have a swell time in heaven while the rich they feed in this life will totally have a harder time honestly so don't worry about it
Last edited by Dooey Jo on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Civil War Man

#834 Post by Civil War Man »

adr wrote:
I think the point was if you give someone else a place to stay they might, for example, put in a good word with their boss and help you get a job. Favor for a favor, quid pro quo, etc.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#835 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Gands wrote:

footnoting
footnotes 4eva

endnotes neva
Endnoting is literally the work of Satan

But that doesn't make footnoting good

Stofsk

#836 Post by Stofsk »

Harvard style rules

Oxford style drools

Dooey Jo

#837 Post by Dooey Jo »

the first fifty times i saw someone write trans* on the internet i expected a footnote to follow but as i scrolled down there was never anything, and i wondered, was it an ironic footnote to mean "not trans"?

turns out it's actually the wildcard symbol and means "person" (not including transhumanists), though i'm not sure how its pronounced outside tumblr

hope this helps someone
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

zhaktronz

#838 Post by zhaktronz »

I read it as trans X in my head

thejester

#839 Post by thejester »

Gands wrote:

footnoting
footnotes 4eva

endnotes neva
:brah:
Stofsk wrote:Harvard style rules

Oxford style drools
:frogout:

Stofsk

#840 Post by Stofsk »

thejester wrote: :frogout:

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#841 Post by Darksi4190 »

I wish i'd gotten one of these.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#842 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Oxford style drools
AGLC shits over both.

Gands

#843 Post by Gands »

Oxford style drools
Chicago rules all.

References out of the text, but clearly visible.

adr

#844 Post by adr »

why oh why did i even apply for a Ruby job? i hate this language with a burning passion and everything that surrounds it is idiotic. coffescript?! what idiotic nonsense.

so for part two after pwning the interview they gave me access to their code and said fix a bug to prove i can do it. ok i'll play. but the code..... doesn't impress me. the CTO said he had to quickly get it up in two days, but from what i can see, i could rewrite this from scratch in two hours, fixing four of the five issues on their suggested fix list in the process

so why didn't he just do it that way in the beginning? but i don't exactly get a lot of call backs i guess i'll suffer through it

adr

#845 Post by adr »

call of duty: ghosts remains among the worst games I have ever played

just tried it again for a few minutes thinking hey maybe I was too harsh before

nope it still sucks. SUCKS. utter garbage, I turned it off and now I'm getting back to /work/

yes I'd rather do boring work than play this abysmal game

Darksi4190

#846 Post by Darksi4190 »

adr wrote:call of duty: ghosts remains among the worst games I have ever played

just tried it again for a few minutes thinking hey maybe I was too harsh before

nope it still sucks. SUCKS. utter garbage, I turned it off and now I'm getting back to /work/

yes I'd rather do boring work than play this abysmal game
Too many camping snipers?

adr

#847 Post by adr »

Yeah, that's a big part of it. Big maps are cool and all but it just isn't enjoyable to be sniped instantly after spawning 20 times in a row. The other thing that irks me is the controls always seem sluggish. Some guy runs around a corner, I hit the trigger but in the half second it takes for my character to finally respond, the guy is long gone (or knifing me...).

In blops2 i often play run and gun, really no hope of that working in ghosts.

adr

#848 Post by adr »

so i think that interview went well, now gonna talk to management about contract terms tomorrow or monday, depending on their schedule.

but i'm still disappointed on the technical aspect. i rewrote their whole site in 90 minutes using D. it is faster, checks off everything on their wish list, and it took me, no kidding, 90 minutes to write. (contrast to the 4 hours i spent yesterday just updating the ruby and rails install here and refreshing my memory on every one of its idiotic wrappers. The login thing in RoR took me two hours to do. I did the same thing in D in 10 minutes right before the call.)

part of this is just my difference in experience. i've never used ruby on rails before yesterday, whereas i am literally writing the book on getting stuff done fast in D

but on the other hand ruby objectively SUCKS while D rox

so yeah

Darksi4190

#849 Post by Darksi4190 »

That's it. Deviant art officially needs a button at the top of the screen that says "FILTER OUT ALL THIS PONY SHIT."

Crazedwraith

#850 Post by Crazedwraith »

you can't beat nature man. You just gotta run with the herd. :flagg:
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you