Share your favorite Star Wars memories

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Big Orangutan
Hipster

Re: Share your favorite Star Wars memories

#376 Post by Big Orangutan »

I imagine many other online Star Wars communities are doing very well after the financially successful but creatively uneven critic/fan drubbed Prequel Trilogy, with more new movies now underway.

I think the slowly self-destructing SD.Net being "dead" for a long time now appears to be down to how it was mismanaged with the King of SD.Net (Mike) probably having some kind of mental/personal breakdown and permanently dropping off the face of the internet, the Regent of SD.Net (Dalton) lightly supervising the day to day running of the place due to distractions, and the Prince of SD.Net (Thanas) micro-moderating everything into the ground.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

evilsoup

#377 Post by evilsoup »

I think mental breakdown is putting things a bit strongly
he probably just lost interest in the site

phongn

#378 Post by phongn »

evilsoup wrote:I think mental breakdown is putting things a bit strongly
Yeah, uh, he's super-active on Facebook.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#379 Post by Darksi4190 »

What happened with Wong was the same thing that happened with most of the SDN "old guard." Their interest in vs. debates and scientific analysis of Sci-Fi waned, so they could no longer justify spending time on it.

I mean fuck. Even Connor doesn't do it anymore, and he was pretty much the last man standing.

Oxymoron

#380 Post by Oxymoron »

Connor didn't lose interest in Vs debating and scifi analysis as much as he has grown to despise and avoid the toxic atmosphere of SDN.

Remind me I still need to continue that mail exchange with him...
No.

Veef

#381 Post by Veef »

Facebook and other social media really gutted a lot of old BBSes because it removed the need to hang out with assholes and destroyed the prestige of certain forums.

and it's just so much more fun to post cat photos when there's a like button :3

RogueIce
#YOLO

#382 Post by RogueIce »

Oxymoron wrote:Remind me I still need to continue that mail exchange with him...
Hey Oxy you need to continue that mail exchange with Connor. :v

Glass Fort MacLeod
Fuckin' New Guy

#383 Post by Glass Fort MacLeod »

Darksi4190 wrote:What happened with Wong was the same thing that happened with most of the SDN "old guard." Their interest in vs. debates and scientific analysis of Sci-Fi waned, so they could no longer justify spending time on it.

I mean fuck. Even Connor doesn't do it anymore, and he was pretty much the last man standing.
I still do it. I just haven't posted anything in awhile and may not for any time. I actually do plenty of analysis that I never post. For example I have been very busy analyzing the Gundam Biggatons with Stark. We may even co-produce our own Gundam:Incredible Cross Sections with massive infodumps if the deal with DK comes through.

Besides which, lots of people can't be bothered to analyze shit. Its much easier to let groupthink authority dictate your answer or use a convenient tropey platitude. Plus people get mad when I expect them to back up stuff they say with proof rather than personal conviction.

Oxymoron wrote:Connor didn't lose interest in Vs debating and scifi analysis as much as he has grown to despise and avoid the toxic atmosphere of SDN.
I'm going through a crisis of faith regarding most of the places I post because most are, in their own ways, fundamentally toxic and I'm deciding how much it means to me to actually stay. Part of that is breaking habits (which is not going so well with SB, sadly, even though SB is some of the more poisonous places. They just hide it under a thin veneer of politeness. But when you can have a thread where people would let children die rather than give up their right to eat peanut butter, especially in places they would normally have no place in, you lose your faith in humanity.)

Remind me I still need to continue that mail exchange with him...
Yeah, I'm the one who'se supposed to fall behind on the mail exchanges. :argh:

Veef wrote:and it's just so much more fun to post cat photos when there's a like button :3
Like buttons are the other reason I'm loathing posting at SB. I mean its basically like they made a '+1 letting you think for me' button.

RogueIce wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:Remind me I still need to continue that mail exchange with him...
Hey Oxy you need to continue that mail exchange with Connor. :v
*makes derogatory comments about ponies*

RogueIce
#YOLO

#384 Post by RogueIce »

Glass Fort MacLeod wrote:But when you can have a thread where people would let children die rather than give up their right to eat peanut butter, especially in places they would normally have no place in, you lose your faith in humanity.)
:psyduck:

Seriously? I mean...what? I literally cannot comprehend this.

Glass Fort MacLeod wrote:*makes derogatory comments about ponies*
What did I ever do to you? :(

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#385 Post by adr »

i gotta say the presence of like buttons kinda skews the writing of even me cuz liek i kinda wanna win the popularity contest

email is where it is at tho, it is simple, it just works, you can write it however. of all the web 2.0 tech stuff good old email is still the best
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Oxymoron

#386 Post by Oxymoron »

RogueIce wrote:
Glass Fort MacLeod wrote:But when you can have a thread where people would let children die rather than give up their right to eat peanut butter, especially in places they would normally have no place in, you lose your faith in humanity.)
:psyduck:

Seriously? I mean...what? I literally cannot comprehend this.
I have no idea, but at a guess, probably something about school lunches and kids with severe allergies to nuts and things like that; with parents probably saying thing like they refuse to stop putting peanut butter in the lunches they give their kids, even if it mean some of their allergic comrades risk eating them unknowingly (kids do share their lunches between themselves, and you can't expect them to think asking about such things). So I suppose some schools passed a ban on peanut butter, and people fail to understand why?

Am I correct?
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#387 Post by RogueIce »

So, "Landing at Point Rain" is still just as awesome as I remember it being the first time.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#388 Post by Big Orangutan »

evilsoup wrote:I think mental breakdown is putting things a bit strongly
*INAPPROPRIATE ASSUMPTION AND COMMENT RETRACTED*

And as an aside, does Mr. Coffee suffer from Torrette's?
Last edited by Big Orangutan on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evilsoup

#389 Post by evilsoup »

:wtc:

Stofsk

#390 Post by Stofsk »

Yeah let's listen to unseemly rumours about people we dislike

evilsoup

#391 Post by evilsoup »

seriously, big o, stop it

Gands

#392 Post by Gands »

itt bo goes to new lengths in his quest for relevance

Crazedwraith

#393 Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm not sure the comment about Coffee is any less weird and inappropriate as the stuff you retracted there.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Glass Fort MacLeod
Fuckin' New Guy

#394 Post by Glass Fort MacLeod »

Oxymoron wrote:
RogueIce wrote:I have no idea, but at a guess, probably something about school lunches and kids with severe allergies to nuts and things like that; with parents probably saying thing like they refuse to stop putting peanut butter in the lunches they give their kids, even if it mean some of their allergic comrades risk eating them unknowingly (kids do share their lunches between themselves, and you can't expect them to think asking about such things). So I suppose some schools passed a ban on peanut butter, and people fail to understand why?

Am I correct?
Close. I'd have to go back and dig through the thread, but basically this mother was suing the school for the removal of all peanut-oriented products after IIRC her daughter had some sort of adverse reaction to some teacher eating nuts in the classroom. The details as I recall to specific events weren't extensive, but it was clear this woman had been trying to work with the school (and the school with her) but was getting blocked by others (other parents, other factions, who the fuck knows.) But what I was getting to was that there were a bunch of people in the thread getting outraged at the idea that peanuts or peanut butter might be outlawed, like this was some massive oppression of civic rights.

To sum it up in the words of one of my acquaintances involved:
Athene wrote: I've generally abandoned the side of jackbooted conformity\authority but I think this is a case where people have established a level of petty evil that it might be honestly needed.

I mean, I'm sitting here reading people go "Well sure they can die but god damn it, I mildly love peanut butter!", so maybe we let SeaDart baton some people?"
[/quote]

RogueIce
#YOLO

#395 Post by RogueIce »

And this is why I generally try to avoid SB's NSF area and stick to the general SB forum (which has its own issues but careful topic selection can avoid them for the most part) and Games & Gaming, which apart from whenever Anita Sarkeesian posts a new video doesn't seem too bad on the whole.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#396 Post by Big Orangutan »

Gands wrote:itt bo goes to new lengths in his quest for relevance
Sorry, I was getting ahead of myself.

Darksi4190

#397 Post by Darksi4190 »

Let the shitstorm begin.

It looks like they're keeping the existing stories around under something called the "Legends" banner. I hope that means split continuity and that they'll continue with the stories of Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo, but for now it looks like they're just re-printing old stuff.

Veef

#398 Post by Veef »

it's ok. it just means you have to go form your own sect of star wars separate from the main church

Ralin

#399 Post by Ralin »

Sad, but I never expected anything else and most of the EU isn't very good film fodder anyway. A split continuity is really better than I'd hoped for.

Darksi4190

#400 Post by Darksi4190 »

Ralin wrote:Sad, but I never expected anything else and most of the EU isn't very good film fodder anyway. A split continuity is really better than I'd hoped for.
I was hoping for it too, but is this really a "split continuity?" That implies they will go foreward with the existing EU under the "Legends" label. With Dark Horse losing the comics license and every single post-ROTJ novel in development getting cancelled, I don't think that's what's happening. It sounds like they're just trying to throw fans of the existing EU the slightest of bones to get them to keep buying SW products.

This will either work because they're so obsessed with SW they'll buy anything with the logo anyways, or not work because they're so heavily invested in the existing characters that they aren't interested in seeing any other depiction of the Solo-Skywalker family other than those that already exist. I think it'll be interesting to see which lines the fandom breaks across.