Testing Chat Episode VI: Return of the Chat

The troll forum, with 50% more bowel movements.
Civil War Man

Re: Testing Chat Episode VI: Return of the Chat

#976 Post by Civil War Man »

I watched Hook and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, as a send-off to Bob Hoskins. It's a tradition whenever an actor I really liked dies.

Dooey Jo

#977 Post by Dooey Jo »

I watched Jurassic Park 1 and 2 again. Verdict: Wow I didn't remember these films are so stupid. And I don't mean "roffle dey think science bad", but everyone is acting like in a dumb scary movie. Especially the second. Are you kidding me that the Swedish guy gets killed by basically twenty cackling green mice, with long, snappable necks?? And how did the T-rex on the boat manage to eat all of the crew, but somehow leave their limbs still holding on stuff? Like did he, a huge fucking monster, sneak up on the guy at the helm, stick his huge scaly head through the window and slowly put his open mouth around the guy, then quickly snap it shut, leaving only his hand cleanly cut off on wheel? And the hand holding the cargo door closing button. Like, the rex was in the cargo hold, did he eat the guy trying to close the hatch then quickly went down there? Then why did the guy try to close the door before the T-rex was down? Seems more likely to me they took a whole bunch of drugs, then cut off their limbs and jumped off the ship.
And why are the velociraptors always standing around smirking for a while before they slowly prepare to lunge at the people anyway? Is it because they are not hungry animals, but actually psychos in a scary movie? Also despite everyone having lots of guns all the time, not a single dinosaur is ever actually shot. Excuse me Sam Neill, but why did you throw the shotgun on the floor and climbed a ladder, instead of shooting the velociraptor as it came through the door in the computer room?

Also I don't know if it's just the dumb soap-opera-o-vision TV, but the CG is actually way better than the puppetry, which moves in a really obvious robotic way all the time. Like that scene when the T-rex is sniffing Sam Neill's hat. You can totally see it bounce when it stops, like a crane.
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#978 Post by adr »

omg jurassic park 1 is on my re-watch list for later this month too
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

uraniun235

#979 Post by uraniun235 »

I've only ever seen the first two and I only ever re-watch the first one.

adr

#980 Post by adr »

it would be awesome to play tag in a big room with no gravity

kicking off the walls to intercept someone, tagging someone in the middle and pushing off to tag someone else

it'd be total chaos

adr

#981 Post by adr »

OMG THE NEW VERSION OF FIREFOX IS ABSOLUTELY ABYSMAL

i strongly recommend you immediately write-protect all your files so they don't accidentally get updated

adr

#982 Post by adr »

@mozilla if i wanted to be a chrome user i'd dl chrome kthxbye

evilsoup

#983 Post by evilsoup »

go to wikipedia and search for: the one with the whales

adr

#984 Post by adr »

amazing

Darth Tedious

#985 Post by Darth Tedious »

You have to go through a disambiguation page, but The Motionless Picture also works
adr rox worship him or suffer large
and so forth, etc.
also STAR TREK

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#986 Post by Big Orangutan »

Dooey Jo wrote: Especially the second. Are you kidding me that the Swedish guy gets killed by basically twenty cackling green mice, with long, snappable necks??
Can you or a lot of other people stop a swarm of vicious foot long rats crawling over you? I was always creeped out by that scene. Also I nearly forgot what a mass man slaughtering, sanctimonious prickhead Vince Vaughn's character was. >:(
And how did the T-rex on the boat manage to eat all of the crew, but somehow leave their limbs still holding on stuff? Like did he, a huge fucking monster, sneak up on the guy at the helm, stick his huge scaly head through the window and slowly put his open mouth around the guy, then quickly snap it shut, leaving only his hand cleanly cut off on wheel? And the hand holding the cargo door closing button. Like, the rex was in the cargo hold, did he eat the guy trying to close the hatch then quickly went down there? Then why did the guy try to close the door before the T-rex was down? Seems more likely to me they took a whole bunch of drugs, then cut off their limbs and jumped off the ship.
That huge, huuuge plot hole was created because there was a deleted segment where the boat crew gotten devoured by raptor like dinosaurs which could blend into the scenery, but the dinosaur effects (in a very heavily effects laden movie for the 1990s) were not to the production crew's liking and so they were dropped.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

Civil War Man

#987 Post by Civil War Man »

uraniun235 wrote:I've only ever seen the first two and I only ever re-watch the first one.
I saw the third one on TV several years ago. Within the first few minutes, Grant had a dream that included a talking velociraptor. It went downhill from there.

My family spent the entire movie rooting for the dinosaurs. We cheered when the most annoying character was carried off by a pteranodon. We booed when in the end he was just injured and somehow showed up with a battalion of the nearest country's armed forces.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#988 Post by Big Orangutan »

Me and my dad mildly enjoyed The Lost World in the cinema, but dad got really pissed at me for renting Jurassic Park III on VHS.

Stofsk

#989 Post by Stofsk »

I saw Jurassic Park like five times as a kid. Those were the days when going to the cinema wasn't the bullshit kind of expense it is now.

But I have no real desire to rewatch it. I'm almost certain that if I were to do so, I'd not enjoy the experience.

I saw The Lost World once at the cinema. Afterwards I vowed Never Again

Dude

#990 Post by Dude »

Big Orangutan wrote:Me and my dad mildly enjoyed The Lost World in the cinema, but dad got really pissed at me for renting Jurassic Park III on VHS.
Was he pissed that you rented it, or pissed that it was on VHS?
-Aaron

Ralin

#991 Post by Ralin »

Stofsk wrote:I saw Jurassic Park like five times as a kid. Those were the days when going to the cinema wasn't the bullshit kind of expense it is now.

But I have no real desire to rewatch it. I'm almost certain that if I were to do so, I'd not enjoy the experience.

I saw The Lost World once at the cinema. Afterwards I vowed Never Again
I saw it in the theater as a kid.

At the time I thought that it was a docudrama and that it had all really happened.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#992 Post by Big Orangutan »

Pissed at the stupidity of the movie on how the damn kid survived and how the movie fell apart completely in the last ten minutes (we rented the VHS many years ago when Jurassic Park III was newish and VHS hadn't quite died as a main home viewing medium yet).

adr

#993 Post by adr »

me re the shields on star wars fighters:

The shields on the xwings didn't do a whole lot of good anyway, I think they were meant more to keep you from dying instantly from your dead wingmate's debris hitting you than to actually survive hits from enemy weapons fire.

Or maybe they messed up targetting sensors, like a radar scrambler.

That's actually a more interesting idea IMO... the deflector shields deflect radar beams, scattering them like the paint on stealth fighters today, rather than being the traditional SF shields.

So if they went double front, it would mess up the targetting sensors on the turbolasers they are approaching, so they couldn't get a good lock until the ship was closer, which was too close to actually track at their speeds.

Of course, this doesn't help much vs Darth Vader cuz he wasn't relying on radar computers to hit his targets anyway!

Crazedwraith

#994 Post by Crazedwraith »

well TIE's tended to fire long bursts that caused X-Wings to to turn to wreckage.

A short burst from an X-Wing disintegrated TIEs entirely.

So there seemed to be an effect but as you say not a huge amount of good ultimately. a difference between 'dead' and 'really really dead'. Interesting theory.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

adr

#995 Post by adr »

Yeah, I think the canon support isn't very strong (tho we do often assume shields/armor are meant to make you invincible but they often are more help in just upping the odds of surviving a glancing hit or mean miss than actually stopping direct hits) but it is still a somewhat novel spin on the old concept of deflector shields so i threw it out there to have some fun.

joviwan

#996 Post by joviwan »

that's a cool idea that I'm interested in.

Ralin

#997 Post by Ralin »

adr wrote:That's actually a more interesting idea IMO... the deflector shields deflect radar beams, scattering them like the paint on stealth fighters today, rather than being the traditional SF shields.
It could be neat in another story but it seems to me that Star Wars of all settings should have your standard issue corny deflector shields.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#998 Post by Darksi4190 »

Oh boy. Guess what's back on the air today.

thejester

#999 Post by thejester »

masterchef

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1000 Post by RogueIce »

Crazedwraith wrote:well TIE's tended to fire long bursts that caused X-Wings to to turn to wreckage.

A short burst from an X-Wing disintegrated TIEs entirely.
Yeah, enough to survive an occasional hit or glancing blow (like Wedge did) but they weren't going to be tanking shots from TIE Fighters like the video games did.

Although the Falcon held up pretty well, so they obviously can work if you're big enough.