Share your favorite Star Wars memories

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Crazedwraith

Re: Share your favorite Star Wars memories

#476 Post by Crazedwraith »

Yeah he's one of the new old dudes replacing one of the old old dudes. They've replaced about the entire cast now.

I should actually watch some of his episodes...
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Stofsk

#477 Post by Stofsk »

RogueIce wrote:I can't blame him
I don't blame him either

I blame Obama :v
Ralin wrote:
RogueIce wrote:And I've heard he apparently wasn't a fan of working on SW anyway? That could just be Internet hearsay, though.
Way I hear it pretty much none of the actors was a fan of working on Star Wars. Lucas has this tendency to treat them like pieces of the set.
Colour me shocked.

All part of Lucas' grand artistic vision no doubt /elfdart

RogueIce
#YOLO

#478 Post by RogueIce »

Hey, he didn't direct the last two movies he was in.

But I actually Googled it, and according to his nephew Ewan McGregor, Denis Lawson's dislike of Star Wars is more akin to why Sir Alec Guinness didn't like Star Wars.

EDIT: Of course, that was sometime pre-1999, since McGregor relates that his uncle advised him to turn down the role. And in 2001-ish he reprised the role of Wedge in VO form, so maybe he had a change of heart? Or just needed the money that day, I don't know.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#479 Post by Darksi4190 »

Lawson doing VO for wedge is weird, since wookiepedia says his lines were voiced over by an American in the OT.

Ralin

#480 Post by Ralin »

Stofsk wrote: Colour me shocked.

All part of Lucas' grand artistic vision no doubt /elfdart
That's also supposed to be why Qui-gon didn't return as a ghost in the other two prequel movies.

joviwan

#481 Post by joviwan »

Darksi4190 wrote:Lawson doing VO for wedge is weird, since wookiepedia says his lines were voiced over by an American in the OT.
Only for the first movie, it looks like.

Darksi4190

#482 Post by Darksi4190 »

So here's a rather novel way to view the PT. Don't watch Episode I. Watch Episode II as the first movie, watch the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series as the second, then watch Episode III.

It cuts out the only truly bad film of the lot, and since there's no significant change in character's ages or appearances it flows much better.

joviwan

#483 Post by joviwan »

what, are we going to talk about machete order next?

Darksi4190

#484 Post by Darksi4190 »

I've never actually tried watching them in machete order before. Isn't that mostly for people who don't know all that much about SW?

Stofsk

#485 Post by Stofsk »

Darksi4190 wrote:So here's a rather novel way to view the PT
I've got one too

Let's not watch the prequels at all

RogueIce
#YOLO

#486 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:So here's a rather novel way to view the PT. Don't watch Episode I. Watch Episode II as the first movie, watch the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series as the second, then watch Episode III.
non-canon lol :v

Darksi4190

#487 Post by Darksi4190 »

RogueIce wrote: non-canon lol :v
Yet still better than most of TCW.

Ralin

#488 Post by Ralin »

I don't really get this backlash reaction you all seem to be having towards the concept of canon.

evilsoup

#489 Post by evilsoup »

Canon is the great satan, death to canon

personally I just don't like the idea of letting a corporation (or anyone, but especially a profit-making company) dictate what fiction 'counts' (as if some fiction was less fictional than other fiction)

joviwan

#490 Post by joviwan »

canon is a very handy tool though when you have a hundred authors writing in the same space so that they don't step on each other's toes while telling their stories

this doesn't always work, but it's still a useful tool for continuity/cooperation/collaboration/corroboration

Darksi4190

#491 Post by Darksi4190 »

Haven't we had this exact same conversation three or four times already?

Crazedwraith

#492 Post by Crazedwraith »

when has that ever stoped us before? How many hundred pages did we have of SDN bitching?
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

RogueIce
#YOLO

#493 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:
RogueIce wrote: non-canon lol :v
Yet still better than most of TCW.
That show was like 95% flash with very little sizzle. And I say that never truly understanding where that saying comes from, but fuck it the Tartakovsky cartoon ain't worth my time.

Was it fun at times? Sure why not, stupid crap like Durge literally stabbing tanks to death aside. But as far as any real content besides some flashy action scenes are concerned, they barely had any of that until the end of the series. No thanks.

Granted that's largely due to the initial like what, 2-3 minutes runtime of episodes? But I'll take a show that started out as a fully fleshed out series with actual attempt at characterization and plot beyond "hey look action scenes" from day one over that micro-series any day.

Manus Dei

#494 Post by Manus Dei »

joviwan wrote:Vibro apple
is that like a love egg
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Darksi4190

#495 Post by Darksi4190 »

The Tartakovsky series might've been "all big action all the time," but a consequence of that is that it showed the "Big Battles" that were initially promised but never delivered with TCW and showed them well.

TCW has some decent action bits like "Landing at Point Rain" or "Darkness on Umbara," but for the most part it just makes the Clone Wars seem so tiny. Granted, I did get more used to the platoon scale skirmishes that were supposed to represent a galactic scale war as the series went on, and I understand that there were limitations due to TCW's animation budget, but TCW never showed a battle as epic or sweeping as the assault on Muunillist, or the invasion of Coruscant.

joviwan

#496 Post by joviwan »

Manus Dei wrote:
joviwan wrote:Vibro apple
is that like a love egg
well, jedi are forbidden from forming attachments, afterall

anyway so that rule about how when something in sci-fi is just a fancy version of shit we already have we put 'space' in front of it (space winnebago, space soccer, space austrailia), well that rule is changed to Vibro when you're in star wars

this is because while playing The Old Republic, my jedi consular got her starship and the first thing she says to her protocol droid is "Pick up that vibromop and start scrubbing"

vibromop

I couldn't even

Had to take a break after that

RogueIce
#YOLO

#497 Post by RogueIce »

joviwan wrote:anyway so that rule about how when something in sci-fi is just a fancy version of shit we already have we put 'space' in front of it (space winnebago, space soccer, space austrailia), well that rule is changed to Vibro when you're in star wars

this is because while playing The Old Republic, my jedi consular got her starship and the first thing she says to her protocol droid is "Pick up that vibromop and start scrubbing"

vibromop

I couldn't even

Had to take a break after that
That is one of many reason why TOR is a terrible game. :v
Darksi4190 wrote:The Tartakovsky series might've been "all big action all the time," but a consequence of that is that it showed the "Big Battles" that were initially promised but never delivered with TCW and showed them well.

TCW has some decent action bits like "Landing at Point Rain" or "Darkness on Umbara," but for the most part it just makes the Clone Wars seem so tiny. Granted, I did get more used to the platoon scale skirmishes that were supposed to represent a galactic scale war as the series went on, and I understand that there were limitations due to TCW's animation budget, but TCW never showed a battle as epic or sweeping as the assault on Muunillist, or the invasion of Coruscant.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree then, because clearly our differences come down to what we find to be subjectively enjoyable and/or more 'important' for lack of a better word.

And unlike on SDN I think we're mature enough to accept that rather than get all YOU MUST LIKE FICTION THE WAY I DO :argh:

joviwan

#498 Post by joviwan »

I actually enjoy TOR, kind of a lot, but the amount of effort required to do so is... Well, my analogy is that you have to squeeze the Fun Blood out of the TOR Stone. The game takes just so much work to have fun it's not generally worth it.

I got a good year or so out of it thanks to a couple of dedicated friends and roleplay, but after we finished the story that was it, there wasn't much left for us to enjoy. And it required so much management.

thejester

#499 Post by thejester »

RogueIce wrote: That show was like 95% flash with very little sizzle. And I say that never truly understanding where that saying comes from
I think that's because what you're looking for is 'all sizzle and no steak'

ps is this what we're talking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nHvMLEXTrM

cause I gotta tell you, it was a billion times better than the other one

RogueIce
#YOLO

#500 Post by RogueIce »

thejester wrote:I think that's because what you're looking for is 'all sizzle and no steak'
Well that would explain it. :failure:

I think there's some saying out there that means the same thing and is "all flash no ???" but I can't think of it now.

Anyway, remember that awesome, awesome smackdown YodaKenobi gave to Revelations over on TFN? It would appear that somewhere during a forum upgrade, the board decided to delete most of his post. *smirk*

Does anyone know if there's an archive of his reviews somewhere? I'd also be interested in the one he did for Sacrifice as well.