videojuegos

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
joviwan

Re: videojuegos

#1151 Post by joviwan »

This might be my own failures as a human showing, but I haven't seen anything on the Wii or Wii-U yet that I had any actual interest in. I mean, I haven't actually *looked* into those libraries very deeply to see what's lying around, but that's because I don't own those consoles, and I haven't heard anything that came out on those consoles that I was concerned with (except bayonetta 2, obviously). So I guess my ignorance is sort of self-perpetuating on a variety of levels.

Meanwhile I own a PS4 because of christmas money and there were two whole damn games worth playing on it and one of them wasn't even exclusive hnnggg

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1152 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

Well I mean not everything will appeal to everyone. I think Nintendo totally knocked E3 out of the park this year and we are in the weird situation where arguably the best looking game currently on the market is Mario Kart 8

But I am a long time Nintendo tragic and so their combination of endless nostalgia and dedication to the, uh, pure experience I guess works for me

But like I can list out Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda Musou, Wind Waker HD, the new Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. etc as games that appeal to me on the console with an absolutely endless array of Wii titles I never got to play (but probably won't be able to find lol), so it seems like a reasonable purchase to me.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1153 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

I didn't really expect Zelda Musou - which I will call it until the day I die - to be a big killer app or anything but I can play as Zelda, Impa and Midna? Get outta town. That's awesome.

joviwan

#1154 Post by joviwan »

okay, yeah, zelda musou looks pretty great.

one of my various problems here is that Zelda games otherwise do not interest me as a genre, which severely cuts down on my enthusiasm for nintendo platforms. I played Link to the Past and Ocarina to death and since then I haven't been able to muster up caring about them.

(as I get older I am getting more crotchety about the gender of my protagonist and if it is not a lady I like the game 60% less on contact)

I've heard people mention xenoblade before when talking about wii games being great, but I otherwise know nothing about it as a game, except "sci-fi jrpg"

joviwan

#1155 Post by joviwan »

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/1 ... -assassins

whelp guess I don't care about the new asscreed anymore

Oxymoron

#1156 Post by Oxymoron »

Considering getting a Wii U in the future (probably not before a year from now, as I'll still be in a dorm at least until then).

Aye / nay?
No.

joviwan

#1157 Post by joviwan »

a year from now will probably make that a much better immediate investment than picking one up today, certainly.

Beyond that, its worth as a console seems really wishy washy, at least to me. Ford's jiggy with it for above reasons, I still can't figure out how to justify it for above reasons.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1158 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

joviwan wrote:okay, yeah, zelda musou looks pretty great.
Admittedly in my hype about having Zelda, Impa and Midna as playable characters I actually forgot the underlying plot is actually pretty sketchy. The villain is the loser in a love triangle with Link and Zelda and her frustration at that lead her to said villain position. On the other hand you can play as Zelda, Impa and Midna and they all rule.

Like why you gotta do this to me, games industry? Assassin's Creed Unity has this exact problem, as I absolutely cannot fault its depiction of Paris as an environment and it has a strong overall direction ... but then the whole thing with the co-op happened and it really hurts it.
joviwan wrote:I've heard people mention xenoblade before when talking about wii games being great, but I otherwise know nothing about it as a game, except "sci-fi jrpg"
Xenoblade comes from a pedigree of games that are not necessarily good but which I love - Xenogears and Xenosaga. Xenoblade itself was a good game: big sprawling fascinating world with a quite okay story backed up by strong character arcs.

Xenoblade Chronicles X, when first announced as X, brought in the names behind those previous games, added Hiroyuki Sawano as the composer (he's currently probably the most exciting composer in anime currently, behind Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Guilty Crown and Kill la Kill), added free-roaming giant robots that can fly and turn into motorcycles etc. The most recent trailer - the first one which really contained any depiction of the story - pushed all my buttons with its outrageous acronym (BLADE - Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator) and frenetic giant robot space battle visuals, loudly proclaimed anime lines etc etc. Also it has a fully customisable protagonist, apparently.

joviwan

#1159 Post by joviwan »

I really, really, really, really love the first disc of Xenogears

And if it lets me customize or dressup my protag, i... Alright. That might be enough to own a Wii-u.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#1160 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

No no fully customisable

So like gender height size skin colour and mad face tats

joviwan

#1161 Post by joviwan »

Balls

Alright, that's three games that I would definitely be happy owning on a Wii-U, then. That's a critical mass. I'll wait til they come out.

Gands

#1162 Post by Gands »

We traded in the XBox 360 and games for $350, and thus got an XBone with four games for about $250.

We've just been playing Worms all night, because that shit is fun.

Losonti Tokash

#1163 Post by Losonti Tokash »

I heard it has asynchronous multiplayer, is that true?

Veef

#1164 Post by Veef »

Gands

#1165 Post by Gands »

I haven't tested it. So far it's just been me and Sam sharing a controller.

Also, the new weapons and level stuff are awesome. Water!

Gands

#1166 Post by Gands »

So I put a disc in. It sounds like a jackhammer.

Now I have to take the bastard in for exchange. Thankfully I have the receipts and such.

My copy of Iron Man 2 is inside, so I need to talk the guy into somehow reimbursing me for it.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1167 Post by Darksi4190 »

Does anyone know if the Steam version of Fallout 3 runs a little better on windows 7 than the disc version? I already have the game and a couple of the add-ons, but they run like shit and Steam is offering 40% off for the summer sale.

Oxymoron

#1168 Post by Oxymoron »

Is Fallout 3 a must have title: yes

Will it run well on windows 7 any system: no
No.

joviwan

#1169 Post by joviwan »

There's no functional difference between the Steam version and the Disc+patches version.

Veef

#1170 Post by Veef »

this mario has amazing graphics

http://collectiondx.com/toy_review/mario

Civil War Man

#1171 Post by Civil War Man »

I had to run some kind of fix in order to get Fallout 3 working properly in Windows 7, even the Steam version. Can't remember what it was off the top of my head, though.

It was a lot easier with VtM: Bloodlines. One of the unofficial patches includes a fix that lets the game run in Windows 7.

Speaking of which, there's a new version of the unofficial patch that was released just a month or two ago. For a game that was released in 2004, where the developer went bankrupt not long after. That's dedication.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1172 Post by Darksi4190 »

Does that surprise you? Take a look at the Freespace Source Code project. A game made in 1999, in a genre that's entirely dead because no one wants to play it anymore, and people are still making campaigns, graphics updates, and mods for it.

Civil War Man

#1173 Post by Civil War Man »

Darksi4190 wrote:Does that surprise you? Take a look at the Freespace Source Code project. A game made in 1999, in a genre that's entirely dead because no one wants to play it anymore, and people are still making campaigns, graphics updates, and mods for it.
I suppose it shouldn't, but I didn't realize that Bloodlines was that much of a cult classic. Makes sense, though, since it's one of the only video games out there based on the White Wolf setting (and probably will continue to be thanks to the MMO getting cancelled), and it's obvious that the developers put a lot of love into the game even if it was really buggy on release.

joviwan

#1174 Post by joviwan »

Bloodlines is an unusually good CRPG, and the devs cared so much about it that a handful of them worked on patch 1.2 without pay after being laid off. It's a shame that it rarely ever goes on sale so that more people can play it, though it IS on sale right now for $5 on steam.

Civil War Man

#1175 Post by Civil War Man »

joviwan wrote:Bloodlines is an unusually good CRPG, and the devs cared so much about it that a handful of them worked on patch 1.2 without pay after being laid off. It's a shame that it rarely ever goes on sale so that more people can play it, though it IS on sale right now for $5 on steam.
It does get bonus points in my book for being an RPG that gives you experience based on getting shit done as opposed to bodycount, so you often received better rewards for not killing people. That and clan choice actually having a meaningful impact on how NPCs treated you (especially with Nosferatu and Malkavians).