Trek Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Re: Trek Thread

#1151 Post by adr »

I just watched a few clips from TWOK again and I noticed something I never did before: the reason Scotty was protesting Spock going in there instead of doing it himself is simply that he didn't know the situation.

When Kirk said "we need warp speed in three minutes or we're all dead" there was no response and Scotty was on the floor from the radiation. Nobody in engineering heard the message.

though Saavik's "you lied" thing still kinda bugs me. He didn't really lie nor exaggerate, he was just speaking in code!
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Oxymoron

#1152 Post by Oxymoron »

I'm not into Star Trek, but this showed up on my feed.

Thoughts?
No.

Crazedwraith

#1153 Post by Crazedwraith »

people have plenty of shit to say about Archer and he's a white male.
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

evilsoup

#1154 Post by evilsoup »

I don't recall ever seeing the Sisko getting shat on tbh

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1155 Post by RogueIce »

Yeah, Sisko and DS9 in general seem to be pretty well loved.

Stofsk

#1156 Post by Stofsk »

That hasn't been my experience. DS9 wasn't entirely well-received. Neither was Voyager but I doubt that's a controversial statement.

It's important to note that Sisko does a lot of questionable things, and doesn't really suffer harsh (or any) consequences for it. Janeway does as well, and again doesn't really suffer for it. Picard and Kirk didn't do the kinds of shit Sisko or Janeway did. That meme is missing the forest from the trees and wrongly attributing race and gender as being the reason fans don't like Sisko or Janeway.

evilsoup

#1157 Post by evilsoup »

sure there are peopke who dislike ds9 (i'm one of them), but i don't recall anyone talking shit about the sisko in particular, rather than just 'it's too dark for trek' pr 'it's trying too hard to be dark and ~complex~'

And i'm sure i remember picard wanting to leave a bunch of guys to get killed by a supernova because of the prime directive

Stofsk

#1158 Post by Stofsk »

evilsoup wrote:sure there are peopke who dislike ds9 (i'm one of them), but i don't recall anyone talking shit about the sisko in particular, rather than just 'it's too dark for trek' pr 'it's trying too hard to be dark and ~complex~'
Maybe, but the impression I got from the link is the author was conflating criticism against Sisko or Janeway as being because of Sisko's race and Janeway's gender. My point is that both have done bad things and should be criticised accordingly.
And i'm sure i remember picard wanting to leave a bunch of guys to get killed by a supernova because of the prime directive
I don't remember that episode. I do remember 'Homeward' but the situation there was different. The whole planet was about to become uninhabitable, there wasn't anything the Enterprise could do to prevent it and intervening to save one village because Worf's brother was fucking one of the women there wouldn't really save the people or their culture in the long term anyway. But I agree, the justification that Picard gives was pretty tepid.

Picard's intervened to save a culture or planet when he didn't have to - and arguably, could have gotten away with not doing anything by appealing to the prime directive. 'Homeward' is more the exception than the rule IMO.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1159 Post by RogueIce »

Stofsk wrote:
evilsoup wrote:sure there are peopke who dislike ds9 (i'm one of them), but i don't recall anyone talking shit about the sisko in particular, rather than just 'it's too dark for trek' pr 'it's trying too hard to be dark and ~complex~'
Maybe, but the impression I got from the link is the author was conflating criticism against Sisko or Janeway as being because of Sisko's race and Janeway's gender. My point is that both have done bad things and should be criticised accordingly.
I would agree with Sisko (haven't watched enough VOY so can't comment on Janeway). I mean he does do some shit, like the bioweapon thing or that whole Romulan senator murder plot.

And as pointed out Archer gets a lot of flak for the shit he's pulled, so...that was a rather lame attempt at trying to play the SJ card, honestly.

Manus Dei

#1160 Post by Manus Dei »

RogueIce wrote:And as pointed out Archer gets a lot of flak for the shit he's pulled, so...that was a rather lame attempt at trying to play the SJ card, honestly.
no one likes to remember archer though
Ralin wrote:Finally I realized that when Walker fights the Satanic ponies I need to mention how his 'lower horn' is glowing and sparkling as it draws in and focuses Equestria's ambient magic.

Crazedwraith

#1161 Post by Crazedwraith »

Random thought I had recently. But the Dominion's plan in 'By Inferno's Light'.. what if it had worked? It seems a cunning plan the way it's presented in the episode. Make a big show and dance about it. Intimidate everyone to send a significant force to bajor and detonate the sun, wiping them all out.

Okay. Except Generations showed that warping out of the way of a supernova can very much be done.

But even assuming it works as intended: it necessitates blowing up the entire Bajoran system. The one that includes the wormhole back to their home, their resources and their reinforcments. now I guess they wouldn't have planned that plan if they thought it would damage the wromhole but still. if you blow up everything else in the system, what happens to the wormhole? it no longer has a star to orbit and it just sorts of floats off into deep space.

Unless the dominion was playing the real long game and starting a second enclave that would endure until the alpha and gamma quandrant sections expanded enough to reunite...

adr

#1162 Post by adr »

Even if it was deep space, they could still potentially use it and just set up a deep space station there.

thejester

#1163 Post by thejester »

thejester wrote:
Stofsk wrote:Image
:brah:

tbh it's kind of interesting/telling that my first reaction to the news was to youtube the clips from that episode rather than anything from TOS. I know you guys love ST but I wonder how many people are in the same boat as me - Nimoy, Shatner etc occupy a place in my consciousness because of the echoes of ST in popular culture rather than firsthand experience with the show itself.

anyway gg Nimoy loved the way you went about it
OK so I know this has nothing to do with Star Trek but the same thought has occurred to me re: Richie Benaud just dying

people are going to trot out 12th Man references as much as lines Benaud actually delivered, let alone his accomplishments as a cricketer

timmy

#1164 Post by timmy »

Well, yeah. Have you seen facebook today?
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

thejester

#1165 Post by thejester »

timmy wrote:Well, yeah. Have you seen facebook today?
yeah but tbf there was a bit more about what he actually did than I expected

particularly liked 'glenn mcgrath out for two, just ninety-eight short of a century'

timmy

#1166 Post by timmy »

Marvellous call, that.

-thejester

Crazedwraith

#1167 Post by Crazedwraith »

just had a brain wave. if ds9 was around today fans of the shakaar/kira romance plot would be shakira shippers.

it amused me anyway.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1168 Post by RogueIce »

I have watched what is quite possibly the best episode of DS9, nay, the greatest episode of Star Trek ever made.

"Take Me Out to the Holosuite"

Crazedwraith

#1169 Post by Crazedwraith »

it's much maligned but as I back when I watched it. it's actually fun to me.

But then I've not seen umpteen zillion takes on the baseball episode so... *shrug*

adr

#1170 Post by adr »

i enjoy it too

timmy

#1171 Post by timmy »

FIND HIM AND KILL HIM

-thejester

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1172 Post by RogueIce »

"It's Only a Paper Moon" is also a great episode (albeit a more serious one than the baseball episode) and holy shit Aron Eisenberg acted the shit out of it.

timmy

#1173 Post by timmy »

I hear Valiant is an okay episode

-thejester

Crazedwraith

#1174 Post by Crazedwraith »

just because you guest star

timmy