Testing Chat Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Testing Chat Thread

#1101 Post by Darksi4190 »

starku wrote:Why do you think you couldn't get a different job before you finish school

Part time stuff is a great way to try new things
It's not that I couldn't find a different job, it's that whatever I get wouldn't necessarily be more fulfilling than what i'm doing now, though it couldn't hurt to look.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1102 Post by Aaron »

Knubble tov wrote:I tried joining the Navy but Navy but I don't know how to swim. Actually, I was disqualified because of the Toe Fingers.
Does that interfere with walking?

Darksi4190

#1103 Post by Darksi4190 »

I don't know. The army's always been an option if my Dad stops helping me pay for school I guess, but I really don't want to be that guy who joins up right when the war's over and takes shit from all the vets who've been overseas.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1104 Post by Aaron »

That's just them being dicks. Besides, there will be more.

Don't though. I will come to Michigan and kick you into the Lake if you do.

Zod
perkele

#1105 Post by Zod »

Darksi4190 wrote:I don't know. The army's always been an option if my Dad stops helping me pay for school I guess, but I really don't want to be that guy who joins up right when the war's over and takes shit from all the vets who've been overseas.
there's always a next war

Aaron
El Duderino

#1106 Post by Aaron »

By year six I detested the army, and I'd wanted to be a soldier since I was six.

Zod
perkele

#1107 Post by Zod »

my last job wasn't so bad for the first three years

by year 6 the dull tedium of doing the same thing over and over had gotten to me and i was really feeling trapped :v

Agent Bert Macklin

#1108 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Aaron wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:I tried joining the Navy but Navy but I don't know how to swim. Actually, I was disqualified because of the Toe Fingers.
I was referring to my hand. I wouldn't be able to fire rifles. I don't know why I couldn't get a desk job.

Losonti Tokash

#1109 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Darksi4190 wrote:That's actually what dave said too. Apparently the Army isn't nearly as exciting as the recruiters tell you it will be.
99% of what a recruiter tells you is bullshit and they have zero interest in helping you or even giving you a job you're suited for

"you say you've already got some college and are fully certified as an emt with experience treating traumatic injuries? i've got the perfect job for you: artillery"

dar

#1110 Post by dar »

Darksi4190 wrote:Is that any good? I was thinking about getting it.
I enjoy it. It's fast and pretty and has a cool selection of mobile suits from across the different universes. It's usually limited to 2-3 suits per series though. Online play is cutthroat, and while there are a lot of single-player missions and an arcade mode, I miss having a narrative (Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam's story mode was really cool, even if repetitive).

Oxymoron

#1111 Post by Oxymoron »

Re : joining the army : what about the Reserve ?

I was thinking about joining it after my studies finished and once I'll have a stable job with a correct pay.

Do you know if it's really difficult to have a professional career with the fact you're a reservist ?
No.

Questor

#1112 Post by Questor »

What has all of the downsides but none of the upside, Alex?

(Reserve has all of the discipline requirements, an almost the same chance of getting shot at, if not worse, and no guarantee of a steady paycheck.)

Darksi4190

#1113 Post by Darksi4190 »

Aaron wrote:That's just them being dicks. Besides, there will be more.

Don't though. I will come to Michigan and kick you into the Lake if you do.

So I should probably just cancel this google search for recruiting offices then?

i'm kidding. I'd need to get into better shape before I even talk to a recruiter, because right now there's no way in hell i'd pass an army physical. As it is i'd have to find a morally ambiguous recruiter to overlook my congenital heart defect.

Well, that, or sign some kind of waiver excusing the army from liability when my heart explodes like an overinflated balloon during basic.

Losonti Tokash wrote:
Darksi4190 wrote:That's actually what dave said too. Apparently the Army isn't nearly as exciting as the recruiters tell you it will be.
99% of what a recruiter tells you is bullshit and they have zero interest in helping you or even giving you a job you're suited for

"you say you've already got some college and are fully certified as an emt with experience treating traumatic injuries? i've got the perfect job for you: artillery"
Apparently they did that to my friend. He tested real well in mechanical and electrical skills (He's basically a genius at fixing anything with electronics or moving parts) so they assigned him to repair command-level communications equipment, but last week I found out they're also having him man a machine gun on a humvee as well for some reason.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1114 Post by Aaron »

Well if your in a field unit, then yeah you do that. In the field I only performed my actual trade a few hours a day. The rest was spent fixing shit, guarding shit, filling up shit, driving shit, cleaning shit and sleeping.

Losonti Tokash

#1115 Post by Losonti Tokash »

As it is i'd have to find a morally ambiguous recruiter to overlook my congenital heart defect.
this is every recruiter

even if you tell them about it he'll just be like "oh well, when they ask you about it just don't mention that you have one"

weemadando

#1116 Post by weemadando »

Knubble tov wrote:
Aaron wrote:
I was referring to my hand. I wouldn't be able to fire rifles. I don't know why I couldn't get a desk job.
So join the public service.

There's more than one way to serve your country if you are set on it.

Or do you just want the uniform?

Questor

#1117 Post by Questor »

But then he'd be one of dem' dam' dirty UNION members!

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1118 Post by adr-admin »

another thing with the army to beware of is they want a pretty long commitment so if you end up hating it, you're kinda suck with it

timmy

#1119 Post by timmy »

weemadando wrote:Or do you just want the uniform?
A small part of me wants to do it to prove to an ex-girlfriend from ten years ago that I could

*smirk*
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1120 Post by Phantasee »

no uniform could do you justice, tim

you're a good man
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1121 Post by adr-admin »

pretty girl, beware of this heart of gold

this heart is cold

thejester

#1122 Post by thejester »

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDFINGER

Darksi4190

#1123 Post by Darksi4190 »

timmy wrote: A small part of me wants to do it to prove to an ex-girlfriend from ten years ago that I could
I think that's partially why i'm considering it too, I mean not the ex-girlfriend thing, but just to prove that I could handle it, because pretty much everybody I talk to says that I couldn't.

Zod
perkele

#1124 Post by Zod »

sounds like a great way of building up angst and regret if it's not something you actually want to do for yourself

Darksi4190

#1125 Post by Darksi4190 »

I don't know, it's probably a stupid idea anyways. I just figured there'd be some meaning to it you know? Like i'd be doing something important, but that's probably not the case.