Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

Re: Godammed SDN

#11451 Post by Darksi4190 »

Does anyone remember when someone made that bet with Duchess of Zeon that there would be "soviet-style bread lines" in the United States by Christmas one year due to peak oil or economic collapse or some shit?

IIRC He totally burned her with a story about how he had to wait in line to get his honey-baked ham for christmas. It was fucking hilarious.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11452 Post by RogueIce »

Ha ha ha it's raining now, suck it annoying people shooting off fireworks! :america:

Zod
perkele

#11453 Post by Zod »

RogueIce wrote:Ha ha ha it's raining now, suck it annoying people shooting off fireworks! :america:
we've got a firework ban in our city. :smug:

Aaron
El Duderino

#11454 Post by Aaron »

I'd just like to send a fuck you to global warming.

Its pushing 40 and its so humid that its hard to breathe.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11455 Post by RogueIce »

Zod wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Ha ha ha it's raining now, suck it annoying people shooting off fireworks! :america:
we've got a firework ban in our city. :smug:
I'll be honest, I'd support a nation-wide ban on fireworks for anyone not a professional (licensed, certified etc) and done at an officially permitted venue.

Aaron
El Duderino

#11456 Post by Aaron »

Why are you infringing on peoples right to burn down the neighbourhood?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11457 Post by RogueIce »

Aaron wrote:Why are you infringing on peoples right to burn down the neighbourhood?
Because I want to put the fire department out of a job, duh. Those lazy slackers even have beds in their stations, can you believe that?!

Jung

#11458 Post by Jung »

Darksi4190 wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:we are all doomed
Are we really doomed, or are our grandkids and great grandkids doomed? From what i've seen, most projections of peak oil and global warming and shit have the really bad shit happening in like fifty to a hundred years, and we're currently working on tech to negate or mitigate the worst of it like alternative fuels 'n shit.
I took Shroom's statement to be more of a philosophical "we are all going to die eventually" one.

Anyway, my guess is the world will mostly react by a combination of plugging other, maybe less good but workable substitutes in for oil and running to something like this when global warming gets serious, the solutions employed will probably not be optimal being chosen largely on the basis of what steps on the fewest toes but they will keep things going, more-or-less.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11459 Post by Phantasee »

You can totally buy small scale fireworks here, no large fires have ever started because of them. A house or two here and there, but that's probably happen one way or another. No wildfires, mostly cigarettes, campers, and arson for that (not counting natural causes).

People just respect that a fire ban means no fireworks.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Zod
perkele

#11460 Post by Zod »

Phantasee wrote:You can totally buy small scale fireworks here, no large fires have ever started because of them. A house or two here and there, but that's probably happen one way or another. No wildfires, mostly cigarettes, campers, and arson for that (not counting natural causes).

People just respect that a fire ban means no fireworks.
who cares if someone else's house gets burned down? GOTTA BLOW SHIT UP TO SHOW OUR PATRIOTISM

Aaron
El Duderino

#11461 Post by Aaron »

Man I wish there was a reliable way to catch smokers who start brush fires. Every fucking summer I watch people throw butts in the dry grass, drives me bonkers.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11462 Post by Phantasee »

I think it's less the fireworks and more a lack of personal responsibility.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11463 Post by RogueIce »

Phantasee wrote:People just respect that a fire ban means no fireworks.
Thanks to Debby a fire ban is unlikely. Shame. :(
starku wrote:Huge fines for littering? It's a serious problem in au too, but anyone dropping anything can be fined
Which obviously only helps in urban areas
Thus the seasonal bushfires in nsw always started by humans
Yeah. It's not the lack of laws, it's the difficulty of having a cop always present along the vast stretches of nothing where these things tend to start.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11464 Post by RogueIce »

Hey adr speaking of that soldier morality thread...
Sokartawi wrote:Well here another aspect of my way of thinking comes into play. I do not believe an individual is responsible for another individuals actions even if he could prevent it but chooses not to. So if person A moves to kill 5 people, and person B is armed and can kill person A before he kills the 5 people, he would still be a murderer if he does (my definition of murder is killing people without their consent, I have no problem with euthenesia and for some reason killing during duels is acceptable to me to, but killing in war is still murder to me), and if I were in the situation of person B I would not kill person A, because I am not responsible for the deaths of 5 people through my inaction, but I would be responsible for the death of 1 person if I would kill person A.
I'm pretty sure even you allow for self defense or defense of others, right? So you'd say it is perfectly justified to shoot person A if person A were indeed shooting at a bunch of innocent people?

I think people like Sokartawi is where pacificts get a bad rap from. The notion you would never ever use violence even in a case where it can be shown to prevent death (like say cops shooting somebody shooting up a mall).
Last edited by RogueIce on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Questor

#11465 Post by Questor »

RogueIce wrote:I'm pretty sure even you allow for self defense or defense of others, right? So you'd say it is perfectly justified to shoot person A if person A were indeed shooting at a bunch of innocent people?

I think people like Sokartawi is where pacificts get a bad rap from. The notion you would never ever use violence even in a case where it can be shown to prevent death (like say cops shooting somebody shooting up a mall).
I just wanna point out you guys are about 6 years late to that party. Sokartawi is still an idiot, as her/his kickstarted project showed.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11466 Post by RogueIce »

Questor wrote:I just wanna point out you guys are about 6 years late to that party. Sokartawi is still an idiot, as her/his kickstarted project showed.
Being "late to the party" would be me making fun of Zod because his username used to be Darth_Zod. :smugdog:

adr-admin
Site Admin

#11467 Post by adr-admin »

i can be ok with self defense if it is well-regulated like it is in regular civilian law (in most places anyway. fucking florida)

Zod
perkele

#11468 Post by Zod »

RogueIce wrote:
Questor wrote:I just wanna point out you guys are about 6 years late to that party. Sokartawi is still an idiot, as her/his kickstarted project showed.
Being "late to the party" would be me making fun of Zod because his username used to be Darth_Zod. :smugdog:
I freely admit I'm uncreative when it comes to usernames.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11469 Post by RogueIce »

It was the underscore that sold it. It still amazes me how many people use those (EDIT: even on just SDN). I know in the Bad Old Days of the Internet (and still in some really shitty places) you had to, but considering that Darth Wong's name has always had a space in it, you'd think people would have noticed.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11470 Post by Phantasee »

Shroom was right. SDN has poisoned y'all.

Zod
perkele

#11471 Post by Zod »

RogueIce wrote:It was the underscore that sold it. It still amazes me how many people use those (EDIT: even on just SDN). I know in the Bad Old Days of the Internet (and still in some really shitty places) you had to, but considering that Darth Wong's name has always had a space in it, you'd think people would have noticed.
i just assumed it was standard before i realized too late that it wasn't required on phpbb boards since so many of the places i went to required them :v

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11472 Post by RogueIce »

Phantasee wrote:Shroom was right. SDN has poisoned y'all.
I suppose you could say that alcohol poisons me, too. But I'll still drink it, just not enough to go to the hospital.

Moderation is key. :prof:

evilsoup

#11473 Post by evilsoup »

I prefer the high-fat food analogy
posting on SDN may be comfortable or whatever, but it's nothing like intoxicating, and every time you do your mind cholesterol levels rise

RogueIce
#YOLO

#11474 Post by RogueIce »

Haruko wrote:I just think it silly that we focus so much on every little tax that comes around when our (US) defense budget looks like it's geared towards defending the earth against multiple alien invasions.
And when the Martians invade, you'll be damn glad we did. :america:

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#11475 Post by Bakustra »

thought better of posting this in the "let's all beat up on hongi" thread
my cool self wrote:I'm not sure why people are providing hongi with such opprobrium for not buying into deontological ethics. That is the only system of ethics which presumes actions to be inherently evil- utilitarianism and virtue ethics do not consider actions to be inherently good or evil at all- their focus is on the outcomes after and the mindset before, respectively. If we are to be enraged with hongi for saying that he doesn't believe anything to be inherently good or bad, then assuredly we must condemn utilitarians all the more so, because while hongi's nihilism relies on personal choice alone, utilitarianism can create situations where child rape, genocide, and all the horrors of extreme moral quandaries are not only not bad, but even the only moral choice!
edit: :3