Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Oxymoron

Re: Godammed SDN

#11551 Post by Oxymoron »

Hmmm... I seem to remember that your States can already give State-ID cards to their citizens if they specifically ask for it, which can be used instead of a driver license to vote.
No.

Questor

#11552 Post by Questor »

Missed a word. Nothing to see here.
Last edited by Questor on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#11553 Post by Bakustra »

Oxymoron wrote:Hmmm... I seem to remember that your States can already give State-ID cards to their citizens if they specifically ask for it, which can be used instead of a driver license to vote.
Only some of them do it for free. Some charge, and while it's not a huge amount of money, it's still fairly substantial for the American poor. In addition, in my state at least, budget cutbacks have significantly reduced the number and operating hours of the centers from which you can acquire said ID.

Zod
perkele

#11554 Post by Zod »

Oxymoron wrote:Hmmm... I seem to remember that your States already give State-ID to their citizens, which can be used instead of a driver license to vote.
Some of them like making it as difficult as possible to actually get one. If you happen to move to a state that has a 30 day waiting period and requires you to surrender your former state's ID, you could be walking around with just a temporary ID for nearly a month. If you happen to do it during an election month and the state only lets you vote with a picture ID, you'd be sol if you wanted to vote.

Questor

#11555 Post by Questor »

OK, as an alternative, how about creating an ID card requirement, but also requiring that ID's be issued within 2 weeks, and making required surrender illegal. There's no reason the DMV/ID office can't use a hole punch to invalidate the old one on the spot.

Personally, I'd be happy to see the cost of the Passport card reduced to zero, and use that, but then again, I like using my GE card to mess with the TSA, and have one responded to the query "Can I see your ID" with "Federal, State, or Local?" when being bothered about a credit card.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11556 Post by Phantasee »

GE card?
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Questor

#11557 Post by Questor »

Global Entry, it's like NEXUS, but only works in the US.

Basically, it allows me (because I've had a background check and had my biometrics collected) to use automated kiosks at certain US entry airports instead of waiting in the line for a CBP officer. I also get a little slip that lets me cut the line at customs.

It's the most obscure ID I have, and is frequently questioned at TSA checkpoints that don't see a lot of international travelers, it's in their little book, but if they are power trippers, they get in trouble with their boss.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11558 Post by Phantasee »

Nice.

I'm thinking of applying for NEXUS now. $50 for five years of hassle-free border crossing? Why not?

Zod
perkele

#11559 Post by Zod »

did a wild hare crawl up sean robertson's ass and die this morning? because fucking lol

Questor

#11560 Post by Questor »

Phantasee wrote:Nice.

I'm thinking of applying for NEXUS now. $50 for five years of hassle-free border crossing? Why not?
Yeah, I was thinking of doing NEXUS (GE is included, and NEXUS is half the cost) but I couldn't get to Canada for the interview ahead of my next flight. I'll probably get it next time I've got a layover in Canada.

Questor

#11561 Post by Questor »

Not the same thing...

Oxymoron

#11562 Post by Oxymoron »

Bam, google ! http://getnexus.com/
No.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11563 Post by Phantasee »

starku wrote:Dude electronic passports are old :v
Canada will finally have them... this year? Or end of last. Mine doesn't expire until end of 15, though, so I'll get one then. We're the last country though.

NEXUS is just a customs/immigration pass that lets you go through without waiting in line in the US and Canada. At YEG I know they don't have to stand in line for security either, they get priority.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#11564 Post by Phantasee »

it's just a convenience, you do an application and interview and you get pre-vetted so you don't have to stand in line and wait for a human agent

it's meant for frequent travellers, and it's a huge help at the Detroit-Windsor land crossing and the Vancouver-Washington land crossings. Priority lanes for cars saves a lot of time. All my cousins in Detroit, Windsor, and Vancouver have them.

oz doesn't have a land border with anybody so you don't know what it's like, man

Questor

#11565 Post by Questor »

Heck, it's worth the $100 just so I can make some tight connections on the east coast. Doing a 1 night layover sucks.

But don't worry, .au participates in something similar. The US is even joining it. APEC business travel card.

Questor

#11566 Post by Questor »

Actually, it doesn't do the visa restrictions in the US or Russia (only places I'd use it, most likely), just give access to GE/crew lines.

You're supposed to be able to use Diplomat/Crew lines everywhere.

Bakustra

#11567 Post by Bakustra »

gettin' off customs and immigration, i don't know if i should be feeling this elated at the new sailor moon anime next year

Flagg

#11568 Post by Flagg »

:america:
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Flagg

#11569 Post by Flagg »

Doesn't the US have like super-anal restrictions and hoops to jump through now, though?
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Questor

#11570 Post by Questor »

starku wrote:Great thanks for recommending something id never use
And something I wish everyone who did use just died
Why? How does it hurt you? Are you otherwise allowed to use those lanes (which are almost always staffed, and almost always empty, at least at any airport I've been to.)

Heck, as a US Taxpayer, I applaud any attempt by my government to reduce the amount of time it wastes screening harmless/helpful visitors and/or make better uses of people we already have to have. I'd also like to suggest - at the minimum - a travel visa be available on arrival. I think that we should consider a 7-day on arrival, maybe even 14.

Questor

#11571 Post by Questor »

Questor wrote:
starku wrote:Great thanks for recommending something id never use
And something I wish everyone who did use just died
Why? How does it hurt you? Are you otherwise allowed to use those lanes (which are almost always staffed, and almost always empty, at least at any airport I've been to.)

Heck, as a US Taxpayer, I applaud any attempt by my government to reduce the amount of time it wastes screening harmless/helpful visitors and/or make better uses of people we already have to have. I'd also like to suggest - at the minimum - a travel visa be available on arrival. I think that we should consider a 7-day on arrival, maybe even 14.
To this end, could we please just pull the stick out of our collective asses about cuba and do a Schengen-style thing with Canada?

Bakustra

#11572 Post by Bakustra »

like 50% of airport travelers in the us look like complete dickbags, so i can understand wishing for their death

Flagg

#11573 Post by Flagg »

Dude having been on a plane I think I can safely bump that to 60% and say that they are dickbags.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Zod
perkele

#11574 Post by Zod »

Baks-kun wrote:like 50% of airport travelers in the us look like complete dickbags, so i can understand wishing for their death
waiting in the security line for one of my flights i got to watch two grown men (one was in his 50s?) nearly come to blows with each other

because one prick thought the other cut in front of him in line

fun times

Questor

#11575 Post by Questor »

Baks-kun wrote:like 50% of airport travelers in the us look like are complete dickbags, so i can understand wishing for their death
fixed it for you.