I'mma let you finish

Re: Godammed SDN

#1277 Post by Phantasee »

PS 5>1
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

thejester

#1278 Post by thejester »

uraniun235 wrote:So? It's still a shitload more productive and valuable than knowing fucking sports trivia.
I dunno buddy

my sports obsession won me a new xbox this time last year

xon

#1279 Post by xon »

Knubfuck wrote:It's sickening that Kamakazie Shit supports police brutality. OMG OUTSIDE THE PERMIT ZONE FUCK THOSE BITCHES/
I always found it a laught that Kamakazie Shit once went on a multi-post rant about judging the police force for the actions of an individual as off topic, when the entire thread was discussing about how the actions of the individual reflect (negatively) on the police force. Of course you can almost always count on SVPD to march in lock step no matter how I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP the defense is for the blue wall.

Agent Bert Macklin

#1280 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

xon wrote:
Knubfuck wrote:It's sickening that Kamakazie Shit supports police brutality. OMG OUTSIDE THE PERMIT ZONE FUCK THOSE BITCHES/
I always found it a laught that Kamakazie Shit once went on a multi-post rant about judging the police force for the actions of an individual as off topic, when the entire thread was discussing about how the actions of the individual reflect (negatively) on the police force. Of course you can almost always count on SVPD to march in lock step no matter how I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP the defense is for the blue wall.
Would you mind doing me a favor and find that rant?

Also, wasn't it SVPD who admitted that he abused his power?

Zod
perkele

#1281 Post by Zod »

Knubfuck wrote:
xon wrote:
Would you mind doing me a favor and find that rant?

Also, wasn't it SVPD who admitted that he abused his power?
that was deathfromthesea

Chadz

#1282 Post by Chadz »

The backpedaling in that thread, I recall, was hilarious.
"Nerds. Nerds never changes." - Oxymoron

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1283 Post by adr-admin »

prepare to call me a sociopathic fuckwit with no human empathy

but in that death announcement, a lot of people are saying "he'll be missed"

really. by people who actually know him? yeah, no doubt about that

but people who just vaguely remembered his posts on the internet? would they have even noticed if there wasn't an announcement?

i just don't get it. condolences threads always read to me as being empty words. same with apologies and rememberances and etc etc etc.

you're saying it because you think it's expected, not because it actually came from you

tho maybe this is just my projecting my psychopathy on to everyone else

Zod
perkele

#1284 Post by Zod »

adr wrote:prepare to call me a sociopathic fuckwit with no human empathy

but in that death announcement, a lot of people are saying "he'll be missed"

really. by people who actually know him? yeah, no doubt about that

but people who just vaguely remembered his posts on the internet? would they have even noticed if there wasn't an announcement?

i just don't get it. condolences threads always read to me as being empty words. same with apologies and rememberances and etc etc etc.

you're saying it because you think it's expected, not because it actually came from you

i feel that way about memorial threads in general

it's like "You weren't there and probably weren't alive at the time, why invest so much into it?"

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1285 Post by Phantasee »

I never really talked to Setzer so I didn't say anything. If you say "I never really talked to him but I'll miss him" you're a try hard.

I feel a little down because I do remember him, but people die all the time, y'know? I can't care that much about people I don't know very well. I'd be a mess for the rest of my life.

Djinnkitty83

#1286 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

I was yelled at for saying that anyone aside from Steve Jobs' family and friends who claimed sorrow and remorse over his death were shallow cunts.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#1287 Post by Bakustra »

This is generally why I offer condolences to family and friends- it feels pretty false otherwise unless I personally knew the guy.

Agent Bert Macklin

#1288 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

What happened to setzer?

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1289 Post by Phantasee »

It's a global announcement over there, just go look.

Flagg

#1290 Post by Flagg »

Only reason I said anything to Surleth is because I just lost my own grandfather. I usually don't say anything unless it's someone I know relatively well internet-wise.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#1291 Post by Darth Fanboy »

adr wrote: i just don't get it. condolences threads always read to me as being empty words. same with apologies and rememberances and etc etc etc.

To an extent yes. I agree that in threads like that that very few people's lives were actually changed for it but there are two other things to consider. One, for some people it seems like a respectful and decent thing to do and they are just doing what feels right even though the next day will be the same regardless. The other thing is that for the people on the board who did know him, they might be allowed to express themselves somehow.

I did not know Setzer well, I remember him posting from time to time but it has been for nine years, and what happened does genuinely suck.

I totally understand where you are coming from though, and I feel the same way sometimes when people post threads about a relative or other friend having died but really at that point its about the person or persons who posted the thread looking for some sympathy. Which depending on how they do it is either kid of ok or outright attention whoring.

Metatwaddle

#1292 Post by Metatwaddle »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:I was yelled at for saying that anyone aside from Steve Jobs' family and friends who claimed sorrow and remorse over his death were shallow cunts.
Don't flatter yourself. You're not cleverly skewering a sacred cow; you're not pointing out that the emperor has no clothes; you're just being obnoxious.

Speaking for myself, plenty of my favorite public figures will almost certainly die during my lifetime: Peter Singer, Richard Dawkins, J.K. Rowling, Terry Pratchett, Roger Ebert, and so on. I don't know them, but I admire them and I expect I'll be genuinely sad when they die, even if they stop writing and speaking long before their deaths. I'm a little baffled that people felt that way about Steve Jobs, but clearly plenty of people did. (I don't think you're a bad person if you have no emotional investment in the life of any public figure, but neither are you a "shallow cunt" if you do.)

I can also feel remorse for the death of a loved one's loved one, even if I didn't know the deceased. That isn't mysterious at all: I feel sorrow at their death because it upsets someone I love. I guess if you want to be pedantic, the object of my sorrow is my loved one's sorrow, and I am only indirectly sorry for the death; but that's a pretty academic distinction.

Any connection more remote than that is too distant for me to feel much of anything. That's why I never post in remembrance threads. I used to try to write posts for them every once in a while, but my attempts always felt pious and formulaic and insincere, so I never posted them. Sometimes I wonder if the people who post in those threads are more emotionally expansive than me, or if they're being pious and insincere too.

timmy

#1293 Post by timmy »

My view on the Setzer thing is that I agree that it seems a little shallow to be offering condolences on behalf of a person you've never met and now never will. But we do anyway, same as we offer condolences to poster when someone's relative dies(and there has been a fair bit of that within the last year or so, but for the size of the board it's probably statistically average). There was a case down here a few weeks ago where the body of a newborn baby girl was found in a park by a council worker who was mowing(and thank christ he found the body first), and the reaction by the community was one of shared grief and a naming of the baby as 'Willow', in reference to the park being on Willowbend Avenue. Some people I know found this very distasteful, especially when you consider that the traumatised mother was probably someone from that neighbourhood, and she probably had a name. We'll never know. And because we won't, that's how these things become steered by the group mindset. Something bad happened. It happened to all of us.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

xon

#1294 Post by xon »

Knubfuck wrote:Would you mind doing me a favor and find that rant?
It was near the start of the year, and involved KS replying to Ford Prefect in the News forum. I remember it only because I was chatting with Ford on irc a few days later about it.

Actually finding the thread again would be amazingly hard. Because all KS does is post amazingly obnoxiously in any thread related to police. And that's all he appears todo in the News forum.

Djinnkitty83

#1295 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

Well, maybe I wasn't clear enough then. I was mostly referring to the people who were 'shattered' and whatever over his death. I can agree that the death of a loved one's loved one will impact me simply because seeing someone I personally care about being emotionally distraught will naturally affect me as well and I'll want to reach out to them. I don't have any problem with those who basically say, "It sucks that he died, he did this and this and this which indirectly affected me and I'll acknowledge that," but rather those who go the route of, "It's hard to type when my keyboard is shorting out from the tears falling on it, this day will be forever remembered as the day my heart shrank and my world became a little darker as a truly beloved man left it forever." (I may be exaggerating here)

No one except that man's family and friends have a close enough connection to him to have that sort of reaction. If you genuinely are having that reaction, and you don't personally know him or those close to him, you might have a bit of an emotional problem. If you're not genuinely having that reaction, then intentionally or not, by claiming you are, you're mocking those who have been hit hardest by his death and being far more of an obnoxious asshole than I could ever be by simply pointing it out.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1296 Post by Phantasee »

Nobody went that far with Setzer, and I think it's fair for people who talked to him for 9 years to be upset about his passing.

If you're talking about Steve Jobs, remember Princess Diana? My mother was a mess for days IIRC. I know guys working at the Apple Stores here and they told me about people breaking down in the back room in the days after his death. Who knows why they felt such strong emotions over the death of a stranger, but they did and it's not right to dismiss them as having emotional problems for it.

Agent Bert Macklin

#1297 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Phantasee wrote:Nobody went that far with Setzer, and I think it's fair for people who talked to him for 9 years to be upset about his passing.

If you're talking about Steve Jobs, remember Princess Diana? My mother was a mess for days IIRC. I know guys working at the Apple Stores here and they told me about people breaking down in the back room in the days after his death. Who knows why they felt such strong emotions over the death of a stranger, but they did and it's not right to dismiss them as having emotional problems for it.
The problem with those pussy Apple employees is that their bouts of pouring emotion are most likely predicated on owning his shit and thinking he was a savior to the technology world. If you were to go into detail why he was only a great marketer and nothing more, and a piece of shit in regards to philanthropy, they'd probably go Hulk on you.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1298 Post by Phantasee »

You're just a barrel of sunshine, aren't you?

Agent Bert Macklin

#1299 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Phantasee wrote:You're just a barrel of sunshine, aren't you?
The Knub is never happy when it's cold. It's like when someone has a knee replacement and it becomes affected during cold weather.

Zod
perkele

#1300 Post by Zod »

Knubfuck wrote:
Phantasee wrote:You're just a barrel of sunshine, aren't you?
The Knub is never happy when it's cold. It's like when someone has a knee replacement and it becomes affected during cold weather.
I guess shrinkage is even worse when you're just a knub.