perkele

Re: Godammed SDN

#1326 Post by Zod »

starku wrote:I've never seen anyone do that outside sdn
better or worse than quoting penny arcade in a serious fashion y/n

Stofsk

#1327 Post by Stofsk »

uraniun235 wrote:basically i'm fucking sick of people posting cracked articles as if they're actually insightful
oh shi-

don't look at my facebook profile then :P

uraniun235

#1328 Post by uraniun235 »

starku wrote:I've never seen anyone do that outside sdn
swear to god i've seen that fucking "five ways we ruined shit" article crop up at least four times on facebook

uraniun235

#1329 Post by uraniun235 »

chris i'm not angry at you

uraniun235

#1330 Post by uraniun235 »

to be fair i should feel lucky that that's usually the worst thing that i see posted. i don't have to deal with "why aren't we bombing iran already??" or "abortions are an atheist plot to murder jesus christ" or other really awful shit like that.

i'm just kind of put off by the smug "clever" tone that i usually see in a cracked article

Zod
perkele

#1331 Post by Zod »

uraniun235 wrote:to be fair i should feel lucky that that's usually the worst thing that i see posted. i don't have to deal with "why aren't we bombing iran already??" or "abortions are an atheist plot to murder jesus christ" or other really awful shit like that.
i just got called a sandusky wannabe in a wsj blog earlier

apparently the fact that i can't (even though I did, they just didn't like my example) name a country with lower taxes than the us makes me a pedophile

Agent Bert Macklin

#1332 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

The only point that article should have expelled upon for pages would be the notion that every one should go to university and to show that STEM graduates are low. The rest is bullshit.

Stofsk

#1333 Post by Stofsk »

uraniun235 wrote:chris i'm not angry at you
phew, thank christ :)
Knubfuck wrote:The only point that article should have expelled upon for pages would be the notion that every one should go to university and to show that STEM graduates are low. The rest is bullshit.
What about the first point, how manual labour jobs have been deemphasised over the years? Although it's sorta tied to the next point about how everyone should go to university.

Zod
perkele

#1334 Post by Zod »

Stofsk wrote:
uraniun235 wrote:chris i'm not angry at you
phew, thank christ :)
Knubfuck wrote:The only point that article should have expelled upon for pages would be the notion that every one should go to university and to show that STEM graduates are low. The rest is bullshit.
What about the first point, how manual labour jobs have been deemphasised over the years? Although it's sorta tied to the next point about how everyone should go to university.
basically the same point

uraniun235

#1335 Post by uraniun235 »

Stofsk wrote: What about the first point, how manual labour jobs have been deemphasised over the years? Although it's sorta tied to the next point about how everyone should go to university.
it's bullshit. the article moans about burger flipping being lame, but there's lots of kids and young adults working fast food and retail jobs and there's no shortage of willing workers in that area. the real problem is that most such positions are below or around the poverty level, so while they're an acceptable temporary position, it's not really feasible to stay there in the long term.

(p.s. the current American poverty level literally assumes that you are living in the 1950s, because it was never updated after it was set.)

manual labor tends to pay really shit, and has the nasty side effect of wrecking your body if you make a career of it, so part of the costs of the labor are being borne by the worker. but employers aren't going to pay more if they can get away with hiring for less (especially in farming where there's lots of really illegal shit going on; farms taking advantage of migrant Mexicans by paying them below minimum wage, and holding the threat of jail or deportation as leverage against being reported)
Last edited by uraniun235 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

uraniun235

#1336 Post by uraniun235 »

yeah that's the one point i agreed with. "everyone should go to college" was such a tremendously terrible push.

Agent Bert Macklin

#1337 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

uraniun235 wrote:
yeah that's the one point i agreed with. "everyone should go to college" was such a tremendously terrible push.
I'm sorry, but if you want career in film shit, you don't need to go to a university. And don't bitch with signs that you can't find a job after wasting tens of thousands of dollars on a meaningless degree that most likely won't strengthen your chances of working in the industry, anyway. *cough* JME2 *cough*

Losonti Tokash

#1338 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Hey, know what the movement needs more of? Elitist dicks insulting people with "useless" degrees. At least JME2 actually has his, buddy.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#1339 Post by starku »

i just wish comintern was around to co-opt the movement by providing leadership and matieral

Losonti Tokash

#1340 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Zentei has a point in that we have a bunch of children that are so opposed to the concept of anyone being a representative or elucidating our general position that they have paralyzed us.

A recent example would be that we want to have people speak at City Council meetings. We all generally agreed to send someone with public speaking skills and a joint prepared statement. Cue kid with massive gauged earrings standing up with "THIS IS A LEADERLESS MOVEMENT WE WILL NOT CORRUPT OURSELVES IN THIS MANNER"

"well okay i guess we'll just tell people they can go if they want and say whatever?"

effective communication

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#1341 Post by starku »

dude why do you think attempts to organise radical left movements fail

ps it's because of the anarchists + misguided conciliation

at least the right aren't going to just send in the blackshirts so it's not too bad

Losonti Tokash

#1342 Post by Losonti Tokash »

also due to the structure and concept of GAs we have the issue of every jackass with a pet issue trying to lash OWS to it

no it is not about native rights, a gold standard, or legalizing weed

i don't give a shit what the various merits are they are totally irrelevant

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#1343 Post by starku »

y'know the historically successful (well 'successful') anarchist movements still had leadership and consensus

turns out anarchism doesn't mean OMG JUST DOO WAHT U WANZ

if i was a rich banker

i mean after doing lines of coke before i got out of bed

i'd be hiring local drug addicts to fuck with any attempt to roganise radicals

Losonti Tokash

#1344 Post by Losonti Tokash »

oh yeah the anarchists are such a pain in the ass

They're a great source of energy and motivation but it'd be great if they could just remove themselves from the decision making process so that shit could get done. They're gradually overpowering everyone else who feels like they're in a minority and so they don't stand up to them. Trying to get these people to rally around each other so that this doesn't end up going down in flames because the anarchists got left to themselves and end up throwing glitter all over the governor's mansion (an actual suggestion).

Losonti Tokash

#1345 Post by Losonti Tokash »

they're totally oblivious to the impression they send out when they carry out the anarchy or solid black flags at the fucking rallies, too

or they don't care and are probably just fucking idiots with their hearts in the right place

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#1346 Post by starku »

just keep in mind that any movement either acomplishes something or nothing

and that if there's no consensus it'll be nothing

fuck man i need to hire myself out as an agitator

los just step up and take control

thsi will invovle simple things ilke saying 'this is our plan' and 'how does that help our plan'

anarchists in america will probably be 100% idiots based on my no research

Losonti Tokash

#1347 Post by Losonti Tokash »

no worries man i am trying

literally the first night i was there i was up talking for like 10 minutes saying "what the fuck is this shit no one cares about legalizing weed"

The list for that meeting was literally like 20 fringe left ideas that have nothing to do with anything and then waaaay down at the bottom was me suggesting "hey we should probably have a workshop to teach people how to speak in public gatherings and how to talk to their peers about what OWS is." I don't even disagree with most of the things people want, but I have perspective, apparently.

I'm there every day talking to people and trying to get them to stand up for their opinions when I'm not. Trying to kick our medical committee in its ass so that it will actually do something. Got them to have their first meeting in a month last Friday, and a bunch are heading to Denver this weekend.

Losonti Tokash

#1348 Post by Losonti Tokash »

no but seriously if this glitter thing goes through i will start my own competing occupy lincoln :V

Stofsk

#1349 Post by Stofsk »

starku wrote:los just step up and take control

Losonti Tokash

#1350 Post by Losonti Tokash »

man if i end up in the news and then subsequently fired

i will be annoyed

edit: actually i think my employment terms specifically protect me from retaliation for political activities when i'm not on the clock
Last edited by Losonti Tokash on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.