Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#1426 Post by adr »

work emails
perhaps the perl code they offer is faster if you're using php
ugh
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Stofsk

#1427 Post by Stofsk »

Oxymoron wrote:to be fair to myself, it's 13:58 and I got up at 04:00 this morning :v
i've been up all day AND all night :v

adr

#1428 Post by adr »

i wonder if edward snowden watches that cbs show "person of interest"

Oxymoron

#1429 Post by Oxymoron »

Stofsk wrote:
Oxymoron wrote:to be fair to myself, it's 13:58 and I got up at 04:00 this morning :v
i've been up all day AND all night :v
Do you really want to play that game with me ? :colbert:
No.

Stofsk

#1430 Post by Stofsk »

I have a feeling whoever wins, we both lose in that kind of competition

xon

#1431 Post by xon »

Ugh, that OP is horrible. Surlethe is making some insanely basic mistakes. As in equating employment to full-time employment.

Oxymoron

#1432 Post by Oxymoron »

Stofsk wrote:I have a feeling whoever wins, we both lose in that kind of competition
"Oh, look at me, I have it worse than you !"

"No ! -I- am more miserable than you !"

"Me !"
"No, Me !"

"We're screwed, aren't we ?"
" Completely."

*smirk* *smirk*
No.

Straha
Lecturer

#1433 Post by Straha »

Stofsk wrote:To be fair to whom?

Oxy doesn't like to admit it but he's clearly a devoted pipe smoker. So when he gets ruminative he must hold his pipe tenderly and gesture with it while introducing whatever he says with a pipe phrase. "Now see here" "I'll tell you what" "To be fair" and others all being examples.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Oxymoron

#1434 Post by Oxymoron »

Egad I am undone,

my cover has been blown.

Curse you Straha ! :argh:
No.

Straha
Lecturer

#1435 Post by Straha »

"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1436 Post by RogueIce »

Stofsk wrote:I have a feeling whoever wins, we both lose in that kind of competition
The only winning move is not to play.

adr

#1437 Post by adr »

i just got a thing in the mail about an ambulance bill (edit: not a bill itself, they are asking for my insurance information so they can send them a bill, but like about 50,000,000 other Americans, i don't have medical insurance)

a couple weeks ago i overexerted myself on the hill up to the dentist's office and had to lay down for a couple minutes to recover. they worried too much and called an ambulance

i told them there's no need for that, and a minute later they even tried to call the ambulance back and say forget about it, but they came anyway, insisting they have to just to be safe

so the guys came in and insisted on checking my vitals and blood sugar. EMTs are good people doing good work so i couldn't bring myself to throw a fit to their face, so they did their checks (all normal btw) and were there for about 20 minutes doing the whole Q&A

i then signed the waiver form saying i don't want to be taken to the hospital (against their advice, but really, it was nothing, and even if it was something, i don't have that kind of money. my dental cleaning ended up going on a credit card i can't pay off right now, and that was $70. hospital bills easily go into the thousands)

and then they left. i actually thought that would be the end of it (the town ambulance are tax funded i think), but apparently not.

i'm not even necessarily against paying a bill. there was like a man-hour of time (there were 3 people there i think) spent so idk maybe $50 is reasonable, despite the fact that had they listened to me the first two times i said no, they could have left without the partial yes i gave when they insisted

but even so

ugh

Straha
Lecturer

#1438 Post by Straha »

Call and explain the situation. A lot of hospital bills are designed with the idea that people will call in and haggle them down, so they'll work with you to at least reduce it.

Also, between this and the "It's too cold to travel to school" I can't help but think you might be better off with a vehicle of some sort. :p

Straha
Lecturer

#1439 Post by Straha »

RogueIce wrote:
How about a nice game of chess?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1440 Post by RogueIce »

Straha wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
How about a nice game of chess?
I shall open with the Fried Liver Attack.

adr

#1441 Post by adr »

Straha wrote:Call and explain the situation. A lot of hospital bills are designed with the idea that people will call in and haggle them down, so they'll work with you to at least reduce it.
Yeah, I at least want to get a copy of the actual bill before signing anything.
Also, between this and the "It's too cold to travel to school" I can't help but think you might be better off with a vehicle of some sort. :p
meh, I can't justify the cost in blood, treasure, and God's green Earth to contribute even more fossil fuel burning that I can reasonably avoid. (And even if we had electric cars with a clean grid, I'd still have a hard time justifying it because there'd still be costs, the material has to be mined, the roads have to be paved, etc etc etc. All of that ought to be avoided if we reasonably can too.)

Actually speaking of heat and cold, I think the direct cause here was overheating. The EMTs thought it might have been because I hadn't eaten breakfast yet (I woke up, took the puppy out, then immediately hit the road to make my appointment), but if that were the case, the blood sugar wouldn't have been abnormal, right?

Moreover, while on the hill, I felt perfectly fine and was keeping up a pretty respectable pace, as I've done many times in the past. If it were energy, wouldn't I have felt weak on the way up instead of a couple minutes after stopping?

But, if the problem were heat, everything starts to make sense. I was fine on the road because I was pushing through the air, so that wind carried excess heat away.

After stopping though (note that the dentist's office is at the top of the hill, no chance to cool down while still moving), the body didn't throttle down quickly enough and was still producing energy. However, now I was standing still, signing in at the office, so no wind to carry it away.

After a minute of that, either my body temperature had risen to a dangerous level so it shut itself down momentarily to cool back off, or the stupid body, being not-so-intelligently designed, tried too hard to cool down and fucked up my blood pressure, with the same result (the specific experience that prompted me to immediately lay down felt more like fucked up blood pressure, but that would still have been caused by the heat.)

They circled the 'you fainted' section on the instructions sheet they gave me, which also lists heat stroke as a potential cause.

It was all similar to one winter day in Oswego when, once again, I was heading up a hill, this time at about 7:00am on a milk run. I liked to be up early there, there weren't many college kids out and about at those hours.

That time it did happen in transit, but I was wearing a heavy winter coat, hat, gloves, etc., and putting in more energy than the speed would indicate since I was pushing through slush.

I recall what I did was threw open my jacket and fell right into a snowbank. I didn't consciously realize I was overheating then - this explanation only struck me after this latest event - but methinks my brain did and reacted accordingly.

So yeah, on the bright side of this experience, I'm now very confident that I understand why this happens. Maybe in the future, I'll do some circles in the parking lot to cool off before stopping completely, which should prevent the fainting problem from happening again.

Dooey Jo

#1442 Post by Dooey Jo »

i once got pretty fucked up biking up a mountain trail

well it is not really a mountain, but it's not really a hill either as it is pretty steep and weird

anyway i had to sit down and rest for a while

i decided not to do that again and instead walk the rest of the way when it starts getting heavy
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

adr

#1443 Post by adr »

The Spartan

#1444 Post by The Spartan »

Am I understanding that you're upset that you've been awake, as of your post, for about 10 hours?

Or is it that you got up at 0400? Because I get up every morning for work at 0500 at the latest.

Oxymoron

#1445 Post by Oxymoron »

no, work started at at 09:00.

but I still had to get up really early.

as I do today as well (currently 04:14)
No.

Questor

#1446 Post by Questor »

I pick what looks like a random interesting thread...

WTF????

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 0#p3782970

Aaron
El Duderino

#1447 Post by Aaron »

I stopped reading when it turned into a line by line shitfest.

Questor

#1448 Post by Questor »

I got to:
Lord Relvenous wrote:
Thanas wrote:No more dogpiling. Let him clarify first if he made a mistake or wrote it the wrong way. .
So can I call him a racist shitstain now?

That's honestly the only reason I can see someone trying to argue that the 14th Amendment is "invalud".
And there was no way the thread could improve.

I think the resurrection of an old title is in order.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1449 Post by Darksi4190 »

You mean the one they gave Arminius, right?

Questor

#1450 Post by Questor »

Darksi4190 wrote:You mean the one they gave Arminius, right?
Yes.