Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Djinnkitty83

Re: Godammed SDN

#1451 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

I didn't have the heart to do some proper trolling there.

And Bakustra, how dare you make a waste of a post in a the OWS thread, I hope your time in the scathing hell that is... The Barrel will teach you not to offend SCRawl.

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#1452 Post by Nietzslime »

starku wrote:he also says that making people smarter will reduce conflict

so i'm not sure how seriously we can take him
the 'less apish instincts' is my favourite part

i'm always fascinated by how so many transhumanists hate humanity so much

re: death

i actually sympathize with him, since real depression can totally blind you to all of your options for escaping it, and having a sweet material life doesn't really relieve a brain chemistry problem. i don't really sympathize with how he posts about his depression, ostensibly for support but mainly for attention, and then refuses to accept his audience's attempts to support him

re: that n&p thread

jesus christ
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1453 Post by adr-admin »

scrawl of course locks the thread

because someone dared to question the efficacy of the mods

or because he thought it was actually useless with my REAL CONTENT and QUALITY CONTRIBUTION and shit?

Zod
perkele

#1454 Post by Zod »

Nietzslime wrote:
starku wrote:he also says that making people smarter will reduce conflict

so i'm not sure how seriously we can take him
the 'less apish instincts' is my favourite part

re: death

i actually sympathize with him, since real depression can totally blind you to all of your options for escaping it, and having a sweet material life doesn't really relieve a brain chemistry problem. i don't really sympathize with how he posts about his depression, ostensibly for support but mainly for attention, and then refuses to accept his audience's attempts to support him

re: that n&p thread

jesus christ
idk, transhumanists hating humanity seems kind of a given

i mean they worship the idea of turning into a machine

weemadando

#1455 Post by weemadando »

adr wrote:scrawl of course locks the thread

because someone dared to question the efficacy of the mods

or because he thought it was actually useless with my REAL CONTENT and QUALITY CONTRIBUTION and shit?

You beat me to it.

It must be his sense of social justice kicking in. Because we all know that holding an idiotic position and not being able to defend it is a perfectly good reason to be protected by mods...

Ohma

#1456 Post by Ohma »

Nietzslime wrote:the 'less apish instincts' is my favourite part

It's weird for me since, like a lot of nerd stuff that pisses me off it's like looking at a mirror mirror version of myself where I never emotionally developed past 14. I feel like I can totally see where someone who's being all 'hurp durp emotions are inefficient' is coming from on (ironically enough) an emotional level. But the thing is that I can't on a logical level because in my experience that sort of sentiment is totally just reactionary emotional bullshit and not like...an actual opinion that you thought through.

weemadando

#1457 Post by weemadando »

Stark wrote:Probably because it's easier to write off anything ideologically threatening as 'the other' and forget about it. Its remarkable to someone who's listened to years of people support the right of people to protest gay funerals and bring guns to political rallies talk about how some guys sitting down is a violent attack on the true American way of life.

I love you STRAK.

RedImperator

#1458 Post by RedImperator »

Losonti Tokash wrote:shit should we tell them that voting in non-shitbags is impossible under the current system
At some point, though, there has to be legislative action. It's not like the 1% are going to see the light and fix the fucking mess they created on their own. OWS itself might be better served staying clear of electoral politics (not least because any attempt to do so would inevitably schism the movement), but at some point, Congress and the state legislatures are going to have to actually pass laws that favor the 99% if the situation is going to get any better, and without either electing OWS-sympathetic legislators or leveraging OWS's energy to pressure existing legislators, it's never going to happen.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#1459 Post by Bakustra »

Djinnkitty83 wrote:I didn't have the heart to do some proper trolling there.

And Bakustra, how dare you make a waste of a post in a the OWS thread, I hope your time in the scathing hell that is... The Barrel will teach you not to offend SCRawl.
What's really hilarious is that apparently his post where he went "You're just an ANARCHIST because you don't view protesting as merely an ends towards voting" was only deserving of a warning. I guess this is because SCRawl is a terrible moderator who takes what is admittedly a shitpost by myself, and yet ignores a downright incoherent post full of ridiculous garbage that a bunch of people called out. But because Zinegata pushed the report button (and broke the fucking rules-as-written by doing so), he gets a light warning about "toning it down".
RedImperator wrote:
Losonti Tokash wrote:shit should we tell them that voting in non-shitbags is impossible under the current system
At some point, though, there has to be legislative action. It's not like the 1% are going to see the light and fix the fucking mess they created on their own. OWS itself might be better served staying clear of electoral politics (not least because any attempt to do so would inevitably schism the movement), but at some point, Congress and the state legislatures are going to have to actually pass laws that favor the 99% if the situation is going to get any better, and without either electing OWS-sympathetic legislators or leveraging OWS's energy to pressure existing legislators, it's never going to happen.
Yes, that's very definitely true, and so when Zinegata called the second of those approaches anarchy I was downright stunned.

Civil War Man

#1460 Post by Civil War Man »

Ohma wrote:
Nietzslime wrote:the 'less apish instincts' is my favourite part

It's weird for me since, like a lot of nerd stuff that pisses me off it's like looking at a mirror mirror version of myself where I never emotionally developed past 14. I feel like I can totally see where someone who's being all 'hurp durp emotions are inefficient' is coming from on (ironically enough) an emotional level. But the thing is that I can't on a logical level because in my experience that sort of sentiment is totally just reactionary emotional bullshit and not like...an actual opinion that you thought through.
I quoted an excerpt from a book called American Nerd some time ago, but I'm going to bring it up again here because the guy's definition of nerd pretty neatly wraps up everything beneficial and detrimental to being a nerd.
I believe there are two main categories of nerds: one type, disproportionately male, is intellectual in ways that strike people as machine-like, and socially awkward in ways that strike people as machine-like.

These nerds are people who remind others, sometimes pleasantly, of machines. They tend to remind people of machines by:

1. Being passionate about some technically sophisticated activity that doesn't revolve around emotional confrontation, physical confrontation, sex, food, or beauty (most activities that excite passion in non-nerds—basketball, violin, sex, surfing, acting, knitting, interior decorating, wine tasting, etc.—are built around one of these subjects).

2. Speaking in language unusually similar to written Standard English.

3. Seeking to avoid physical and emotional confrontation.

4. Favoring logic and rational communication over nonverbal, non-rational forms of communication or thoughts that don't involve reason.

5. Working with, playing with, and enjoying machines more than most people do.
He goes into some pretty interesting detail on all of the stupid habits and neuroses that go with being a nerd of some kind. Like simultaneous contempt of but obsession with manly men stereotypes, or various issues regarding race and sex.

One chapter that just occurred to me, though, was talking about "debate" nerds. Apparently there is a major camp in the debate circuit that emphasizes learning how to talk really fast because it was not important to make good points or rebut the opponent's points, because their preferred method of "winning" the debate was just making as many points (however half-assed) as possible so their opponent would not have enough time to address them all.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#1461 Post by starku »

Ford and I were talking the other day about how poor old jimbo had to attack every word or phrase in RLM stuff, because more points = stronger argument. He doesn't understand that focusing on the actual 'important' parts would make his message stronger and make him look like less of a retard

And man I'm sorry but there comes a point where someone is so rich I cannot see them as anything but a crybaby, especially given the cyclical nature of his 'condition" (ps rhymes with copout)

Nua don't have sympathy just cause you a rich sad man in the past :v

Losonti Tokash

#1462 Post by Losonti Tokash »

here we go again

Bakustra

#1463 Post by Bakustra »

Losonti Tokash wrote:here we go again
meanwhile, i'm dumb enough to respond to zenigata

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1464 Post by adr-admin »

"His post was one big ad-hominem, and we don't like that here."

where the fuck is he when shitposters like patrick degan are there?

Bakustra

#1465 Post by Bakustra »

adr wrote:"His post was one big ad-hominem, and we don't like that here."

where the fuck is he when shitposters like patrick degan are there?
zenigata hit report

but that probably won't work for you

Losonti Tokash

#1466 Post by Losonti Tokash »

occupy sdn, the system is broken

Flagg

#1467 Post by Flagg »

Zinegata is mentally insane. Just refuse to engage him on those grounds and maybe he'll go away.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Bakustra

#1468 Post by Bakustra »

Flagg wrote:Zinegata is mentally insane. Just refuse to engage him on those grounds and maybe he'll go away.
That's what I got barreled for lol.

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1469 Post by adr-admin »

What gets me more than anything else in that Penn state thread is the implicit assumption most everyone has that they would have done things so much differently if they were there.

If Patrick Degan had a grasp of logical fallacies, he could call my personal story followup some kind of tu quoque crap, and I don't have much of an answer for that. Even if we are all morally bankrupt cowards, that wouldn't necessarily invalidate calling someone one, so that branch isn't great logic and I realize that.

But still, it bugs me to see these armchair "heroes" so arrogantly and so viciously attack someone when they really have no idea how they'd react in a similar situation. (and it gets worse because they don't even know all the facts!)

If my own flaws are anything to go on, I'd say odds are they'd take the lazy or weak or cowardly way out too. Assuming they don't just freeze up entirely from such an extraordinary experience.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#1470 Post by starku »

Look they don't care about facts

It's just that child rape is a safe issue to be tough about because nobody wills argue

So it's no-risk social standing for them

Zod
perkele

#1471 Post by Zod »

adr wrote:What gets me more than anything else in that Penn state thread is the implicit assumption most everyone has that they would have done things so much differently if they were there.

If Patrick Degan had a grasp of logical fallacies, he could call my personal story followup some kind of tu quoque crap, and I don't have much of an answer for that. Even if we are all morally bankrupt cowards, that wouldn't necessarily invalidate calling someone one, so that branch isn't great logic and I realize that.

But still, it bugs me to see these armchair "heroes" so arrogantly and so viciously attack someone when they really have no idea how they'd react in a similar situation. (and it gets worse because they don't even know all the facts!)

If my own flaws are anything to go on, I'd say odds are they'd take the lazy or weak or cowardly way out too. Assuming they don't just freeze up entirely from such an extraordinary experience.
I like the double standards that come up under threads like these.

guy's under suspicion of rape?

"Let's give him the benefit of the doubt."

guy's under suspicion of being a pedo?

"BURN THE WITCH AND CHOP OFF HIS HEAD!"

Aaron
El Duderino

#1472 Post by Aaron »

It doesn't take much to call 911, I've done it in the past. But to wade in fists swinging ala the duchess, is pure fantasy.

weemadando

#1473 Post by weemadando »

Aaron wrote:It doesn't take much to call 911, I've done it in the past. But to wade in fists swinging ala the duchess, is pure fantasy.
I personally like how it's impossible to understand that someone might go: "gee, I wonder what ever came of that eye witness report of child rape, maybe I could ask the people I reported it to, or the guy who was the alleged attacker who I was and remain close friends with."

Stofsk

#1474 Post by Stofsk »

Aaron wrote:It doesn't take much to call 911, I've done it in the past. But to wade in fists swinging ala the duchess, is pure fantasy.
like most things duchess says :V

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#1475 Post by starku »

shit guys you got me looking in venting

'oh i could have studied management the obvious route to unlimited wealth given my situation. but y'know i'm just not any good at it so i won't make any money there'

anyone who thinks this isn't about his need to be the best to assuage his insecurity is a fucking moron\

stofsk you are a CERTAIN CLICKER