The Testingtard's Lament: Boo-Hoo-in' Revolution

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Zod
perkele

Re: The Testingtard's Lament: Boo-Hoo-in' Revolution

#1451 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote:Oh, I see. I thought your complaints about the device would have been about functionality, which is what I always hear. You know, shitty battery life, terrible screen, laggy touch response, not simple enough, terrible camera, etc.
That's all dependent on the hardware manufacturers. Some Android phones might have better hardware than others but the OS itself is basically crap.

Agent Bert Macklin

#1452 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

How is it crap? I love it. I love how I am able to customize it. I love having direct access to the file folders. I love being able to use a task manager. I like seeing which apps are using x amount of battery and memory. It's very responsive, too. I suffered no lag prior to or after upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich. I like being ablr to cut off the mobile network when I don;t want to use up the mandatory data. I have not experienced applications closing on their own, which apparently has happened to people in the past. Internet browsing is far simpler as the keyboard is larger to help compensate for my deformity. The camera is pretty good when in a well-lit place. 1080p video is a bit average, but that's to be expected.

Zod
perkele

#1453 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote:How is it crap? I love it. I love how I am able to customize it. I love having direct access to the file folders. I love being able to use a task manager. I like seeing which apps are using x amount of battery and memory. It's very responsive, too. I suffered no lag prior to or after upgrading to Ice Cream Sandwich. I like being ablr to cut off the mobile network when I don;t want to use up the mandatory data. I have not experienced applications closing on their own, which apparently has happened to people in the past. Internet browsing is far simpler as the keyboard is larger to help compensate for my deformity. The camera is pretty good when in a well-lit place. 1080p video is a bit average, but that's to be expected.
No updates unless the hardware devs say so or you do it yourself? Finnicky app compatibility at best? Chances of breaking something from trying to customize it are high?

(PS - Pretty much every smartphone in the world lets you cut off the cellular network when you don't want it.)

Agent Bert Macklin

#1454 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Your complaints aren't convincing because they lack specificity. Which apps have finnicky compatibility? What can be broken from the customization not including rooting, which I find completely stupid? I'm also not understanding the hardware upgrading. Are there phones out there that don't require you to do it yourself when the updates are released? It does it automatically without your consent?

Zod
perkele

#1455 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote:Your complaints aren't convincing because they lack specificity. Which apps have finnicky compatibility?
They're not specific because compatibility is entirely dependent on which phone you pick. Something compatible with one device might not be compatible with another despite having the same OS version.
What can be broken from the customization not including rooting, which I find completely stupid?
Depends on the device. I suppose it also depends on what you mean by "customization".
I'm also not understanding the hardware upgrading. Are there phones out there that don't require you to do it yourself when the updates are released? It does it automatically without your consent?
Every Android hardware developer uses a custom rom for their devices. So the rom you get from HTC is going to be different from the rom you get from Xperia even if they're both running ICS. Which means you depend on Sony and HTC for your OS updates, and not Google directly unless you do it yourself with custom roms. (Going from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich? Not without dev say-so.)

Agent Bert Macklin

#1456 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I just mean changing wallpapers, ringtones, skins, creating widgets, etc. The access to the drive helps with the first two.

I see what you're saying about the upgrades. Yes, that appears to be fucking stupid. But it's not a deal breaker for me. As for the apps, this is why you make an informed decision before buying. I performed ample research prior to buying the HTC Vivid. I read reviews and browsed forums. I made sure that what I wanted to do was possible. I read that gapless audio playback was not possible and that an app would be needed to allow it. That was unfortunate, but the app was completely worth the purchase. The research panned out and I am having a pleasurable experience.

Zod
perkele

#1457 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote:I just mean changing wallpapers, ringtones, skins, creating widgets, etc. The access to the drive helps with the first two.
Aside from ringtones I don't really care about that very much. So customization's not a big deal to me.
I see what you're saying about the upgrades. Yes, that appears to be fucking stupid. But it's not a deal breaker for me. As for the apps, this is why you make an informed decision before buying. I performed ample research prior to buying the HTC Vivid. I read reviews and browsed forums. I made sure that what I wanted to do was possible. I read that gapless audio playback was not possible and that an app would be needed to allow it. That was unfortunate, but the app was completely worth the purchase. The research panned out and I am having a pleasurable experience.
Problem is a lot of devs seem to like using outdated versions of Android with new hardware. Given the sheer crapshoot in getting even a big vendor to provide OS updates I don't want to be stuck with a phone where the software breaks because the app devs have moved onto the next version. iOS or WP7? At least there I'm getting consistent upgrades.

uraniun235

#1458 Post by uraniun235 »

i thought winphone was dying/dead. huh.

i can't be fucked to keep up on smartphone shit

(actually i'll probably be forced to someday. fuck.)

Zod
perkele

#1459 Post by Zod »

windows mobile is

wp 7 is a totally different animal

Agent Bert Macklin

#1460 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I actually considered getting a Lumia.

Zod
perkele

#1461 Post by Zod »

it's not a bad piece of hardware even though it has a few annoying quirks to it

(no dedicated volume on/off switch, power button on the side instead of the top, maps gps won't work properly for some fucked reason . . .)

course aside from the maps these are minor things

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1462 Post by Phantasee »

Volume is kinda major to me.
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Agent Bert Macklin

#1463 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Phantasee wrote:Volume is kinda major to me.
Well, I'm positive you'd be the type of person to buy Dre Beats headphones, so go with a phone that has a Beats feature on it to "improve" the audio by slapping on a layer bass that drowns out the mids and highs. :)

Zod
perkele

#1464 Post by Zod »

looks like my phone's gps decided to start working again all on its own

go figure

Agent Bert Macklin

#1465 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Zod wrote:looks like my phone's gps decided to start working again all on its own

go figure
Have you scoured forums to see if the problem was correctly found?

Zod
perkele

#1466 Post by Zod »

Knubble tov wrote:
Zod wrote:looks like my phone's gps decided to start working again all on its own

go figure
Have you scoured forums to see if the problem was correctly found?
i haven't found diddly

i just turned it on this morning and it actually pointed to my correct location (instead of, y'know, ohio or georgia.)

i assume it was a fluke in their servers or gps software because other maps services i downloaded did the same thing, and removing the sim and inserting it again did nothing

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1467 Post by Phantasee »

Knubble tov wrote:
Well, I'm positive you'd be the type of person to buy Dre Beats headphones, so go with a phone that has a Beats feature on it to "improve" the audio by slapping on a layer bass that drowns out the mids and highs. :)
You have 12 hours to withdraw this statement or I will ban you for a minimum of 24 hours for slandering an administrator.

Zod
perkele

#1468 Post by Zod »

Phantasee wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:
You have 12 hours to withdraw this statement or I will ban you for a minimum of 24 hours for slandering an administrator.
look who's acting like he's some kinda old boy or something!

Gands

#1469 Post by Gands »

I got royally reamed at Trek today. In four rounds, no wins. :(

On the upside, I'm now set for a comeback.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1470 Post by Phantasee »

Zod wrote:
Phantasee wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:
I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS INSULT, SIR.

Zod
perkele

#1471 Post by Zod »

Phantasee wrote:
Zod wrote:
Phantasee wrote:
Knubble tov wrote:
I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS INSULT, SIR.
i don't think you have the cojones to ban me. :smug:

Oxymoron

#1472 Post by Oxymoron »

Zod wrote:cajones

???
No.

Zod
perkele

#1473 Post by Zod »

i don't know what you're talking about :colbert:

Nietzslime
Give these people air!

#1474 Post by Nietzslime »

is it a good thing or a bad thing that i had an iconic and super-frightening ghost encounter last night and as soon as it was over and i could think back on it i was just excited to have had a textbook case of sleep paralysis
Europe: Genocide-free since at least 1996.

Zod
perkele

#1475 Post by Zod »

Nietzslime wrote:is it a good thing or a bad thing that i had an iconic and super-frightening ghost encounter last night and as soon as it was over and i could think back on it i was just excited to have had a textbook case of sleep paralysis
http://www.hark.com/clips/kvdmsgrbpc-be ... w-neurosis