The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Re: The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

#1701 Post by adr »

no i was just watching sailor moon and had to tell the world!
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1702 Post by Darksi4190 »

Is that really something you want to tell people about?

evilsoup

#1703 Post by evilsoup »

why not?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1705 Post by RogueIce »

I have that soundtrack and I'm not afraid to admit it.

adr

#1706 Post by adr »

omg omg so do i!

bought it on a trip to syracuse with my brother in like 2002. he bought a compilation of songs from james bond movies and i got the sailor moon one

then we totally copied each other's cds lol

adr

#1707 Post by adr »

youtube comment wrote:You mean Sailor Moon, the one with the moon wand is the missing moon princess? Sherlock Holmes better watch his ass.
hahaha

but anyway yeah i went over to watch the babies tuesday morning and they were watching something on the playstation. if it was toddlers and tiaras again i would have just taken the controller and switched it to more star trek voyager on the netflix (which btw i've enjoyed a lot so far. maybe i haven't hit the bad episodes yet or maybe i have lower standards than the rest of the internet, but anyway i like it)

but no, i heard me the most beautiful thing ever "winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight"

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

i've been looking for sailor moon dvds in stores for years and never found it. apparently they or their mother found it on youtube, seems to be the complete series too.

but they were some time through the first season; the 4 sailor scouts except venus were already together... and i've been watching it with them a lot for hte last couple days. as my other post implied, we just saw the moonlight knight today, so making pretty quick progress.

i kinda expected it to suck and my fond memories being just nostagia

but nope this is fucking great

Darksi4190

#1708 Post by Darksi4190 »

evilsoup wrote:why not?
Look this isn't some sort of machismo thing. Sailor Moon was a really crappy show and people should be embarrassed for liking it. It had shitty dialogue and voice acting, predictable cookie cutter plots, and boring, slow-ass fight scenes.

It was basically DragonBall Z for girls.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1709 Post by RogueIce »

Tuxedo Mask is my homie.

adr

#1710 Post by adr »

i would actually like to watch dragonball and dragonball z again too. though dbz could use some editing!!! actually i hear they did re-edit it and it is now more reasonably sized, like 100 episodes. but i haven't watched any of it

but sailor moon has a kinda special place in my brain because it is one of the strongest style influences in the early days of what is now my hard sf dreamverse (long evolution there). tuxedo mask is the reason why the author insert has a cool cape! which is in turn why the fancy dress uniforms include one, which is why i actually own one in real life, made it myself. sewing is a nice random skill to have.

edit: hilariously i have a mask too. my mother made it out of left over material from my cape. but it is kinda uncomfortable with my glasses so i never wore it much except for a halloween one year

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1711 Post by RogueIce »

Sailor Says > Sonic Sez Says

Plus good ol' Meatball Head is just such a fun character, I dunno why. I miss the old DiC dub and was sad when I saw a second round on Cartoon Network and none of the voices sounded the same. :(

adr

#1712 Post by adr »

the kids were watching sonic on the netflix too. three shows: the one that ends with sonic sez with the two bumbling robot sidekicks, the one with the catchy theme song* and better stories (I think both series are both simply called "Sonic the Hedgehog", but they aren't the same), and one i never heard of before called "sonic underground"

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4jd0UWGPgY

those aren't bad either, this one has surprisingly decent stories.

phongn

#1713 Post by phongn »

adr wrote:no i was just watching sailor moon and had to tell the world!
Remake of the anime comes out this summer :D
Darksi4190 wrote:Look this isn't some sort of machismo thing. Sailor Moon was a really crappy show and people should be embarrassed for liking it. It had shitty dialogue and voice acting, predictable cookie cutter plots, and boring, slow-ass fight scenes.
How much of it did you see, bychance? It did get better.
Well, yes.

Darksi4190

#1714 Post by Darksi4190 »

phongn wrote:How much of it did you see, bychance? It did get better.
A few eps of the DiC dub that were on in between Robotech and DBZ.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#1715 Post by Bakustra »

Darksi4190 wrote:Is that really something you want to tell people about?
YES

Darksi4190 wrote:
evilsoup wrote:why not?
Look this isn't some sort of machismo thing. Sailor Moon was a really crappy show and people should be embarrassed for liking it. It had shitty dialogue and voice acting, predictable cookie cutter plots, and boring, slow-ass fight scenes.

yes, in that both are bloated adaptations of awesome, well-put-together comics that still manage to have some cool moments in and of themselves

seriously, the original manga is still a cool-as-hell superhero thing even though all the translations have been awful. the musicals are apparently hilarious as hell, and the live-action is supposedly fairly interesting in how in-depth it goes into things. along with the upcoming remake that will probably synthesize some of these things together. this is before getting into the wicked cool political aspects, too!

RogueIce wrote:Tuxedo Mask is my homie.
Queen Nehellenia has a posse.

adr

#1716 Post by adr »

Bakustra wrote:deal with it gif
One person likes this.
this is before getting into the wicked cool political aspects, too!
i told isabella that zoisite was a man before the english translation and she didn't believe me. it is disappointing that they had to change some of these things

but from what i've rewatched so far the biggest thing i appreciate is actually the simple things like the fact that the sailor scouts are all different kinds of girls - all with their own personalities, interests, strengths (including but not limited to a wide variety of so-called "masculine" fields), and flaws. they're all three dimensional people, who happen to be female!

that seems like it is nothing - what you expect from any character - but it is like the bechdel test, even the simplest of things when it comes to female characters often don't get representation at all, so when a show gets a little, it is notable, and when it is a slam dunk like sailor moon it really stands out.

Flagg

#1717 Post by Flagg »

Can you losers do your sailor moon shit in a separate thread? This thread is for bitching. :duchess:
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Bakustra

#1718 Post by Bakustra »

Flagg wrote:Can you losers do your sailor moon shit in a separate thread? This thread is for bitching. :duchess:
you're going to have to promise to post in there at least once with at least one good thing to say for this to happen

Flagg

#1719 Post by Flagg »

I like pizza.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

phongn

#1720 Post by phongn »

Bakustra wrote:Image
:neckbeard:
yes, in that both are bloated adaptations of awesome, well-put-together comics that still manage to have some cool moments in and of themselves

seriously, the original manga is still a cool-as-hell superhero thing even though all the translations have been awful. the musicals are apparently hilarious as hell, and the live-action is supposedly fairly interesting in how in-depth it goes into things. along with the upcoming remake that will probably synthesize some of these things together. this is before getting into the wicked cool political aspects, too!
The manga got pretty dark - I mean, the future is literally eternal war and struggle. I once heard it described as deconstructing the entire genre at the same time it was creating it!
Naru and Umino forever (aka: " the only people who can observe anything ")
adr wrote:i told isabella that zoisite was a man before the english translation and she didn't believe me. it is disappointing that they had to change some of these things
Zoisite is so flamboyant it really makes no difference to his character that the English dub turned him into a her.
but from what i've rewatched so far the biggest thing i appreciate is actually the simple things like the fact that the sailor scouts are all different kinds of girls - all with their own personalities, interests, strengths (including but not limited to a wide variety of so-called "masculine" fields), and flaws. they're all three dimensional people, who happen to be female!
Don't forget Usagi's impressive ability to gather together a whole bunch of lonely outsiders into a family.
Darksi4190 wrote:A few eps of the DiC dub that were on in between Robotech and DBZ.
Season 1 was pretty formulaic, even for its time (46 episodes meant a lot of filler) but it got much better, particularly in Season 3. Even then, I remember being shocked that there was actual continuity and that the characters' decisions were remembered.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1721 Post by RogueIce »

adr wrote:i told isabella that zoisite was a man before the english translation and she didn't believe me. it is disappointing that they had to change some of these things
Did DiC change any of the animation? Because I'd swear Zoycite looks like a female character in some of the scenes, not just ambiguously bishie. Could be the female voice actor and my own confirmation bias though, since when I originally watched it I had no concept that this was dubbed from a Japanese show, much like how I originally viewed Power Rangers.

Hell pretty sure Speed Racer and G-Force were the same thing for me. This is probably why today I'm not really a fan of anime, but have a certain fondness for various English dubs.

Also Japanese show titles are just weird and seem needlessly long. What's up with that? Science Ninja Team Gatchaman? :wtf:

phongn

#1722 Post by phongn »

RogueIce wrote:
Did DiC change any of the animation? Because I'd swear Zoycite looks like a female character in some of the scenes, not just ambiguously bishie. Could be the female voice actor and my own confirmation bias though, since when I originally watched it I had no concept that this was dubbed from a Japanese show, much like how I originally viewed Power Rangers.
Nothing was changed. Zoicite really was that effeminate. Dude even dressed as Sailor Moon once.

timmy

#1723 Post by timmy »

I hadn't seen this before, that's clever

"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

phongn

#1724 Post by phongn »

Obviously not because those are not JPEG artifacts :P

Bakustra

#1725 Post by Bakustra »

phongn wrote:
Bakustra wrote:Image
:neckbeard:

The manga got pretty dark - I mean, the future is literally eternal war and struggle. I once heard it described as deconstructing the entire genre at the same time it was creating it!
Well, it starts out with Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark face-melting for dead villains, and then by Dream/SuperS you have people murdering each other in the street because of Nehellenia's influence, Zirconia bursts out of Nehellenia's body at one point, then Nehellenia's final appearance is of a gigantic face with eyes opening onto writhing chaos- and I'm not even up to Stars yet.

What is interesting, manga-wise, is that all the villains except Galaxia try to subvert human society- the Dark Kingdom with fake businesses and urban legends, the Black Moon by replacing people with robots, the Death Busters with the Infinity Academy, the Dead Moon Circus- and then the Shadow Galactica have their first few members get to murdering, then Tin Nyanko decides to flirt nihistically with Usagi for a bit before getting to murder, then Galaxia just decides to straight-up torment Usagi for refuting her beliefs through the act of resistance.
Naru and Umino forever (aka: " the only people who can observe anything ")

Here's to Fish Eye. May he have plenty of soccer players score goals in him once he returns from Elysion.