Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
evilsoup

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#176 Post by evilsoup »

I'd say it's about 50/50 between misogyny and mental illness/learning disabilities (stupid, idiot, moron, etc)

Sandman

#177 Post by Sandman »

Being fair, cunt can easily be substituted with 'dick', putting it in the third possibly more popular category of 'vague sexual or scatological reference'. In this case comparing the individual in question to a sex organ.

Though the misogyny and hatred of people with mental disabilities inherent in insults is still more than apparent.

evilsoup

#178 Post by evilsoup »

I'd say that cunt is a much more serious insult than dick. I prefer the gender-neutral 'asshole' or 'fuckhead'.

also, on further reflection I would widen it to 'people with disabilities' in general (lame, dumb; I believe this is where 'geek' came from originally, too)

Sandman

#179 Post by Sandman »

evilsoup wrote:I'd say that cunt is a much more serious insult than dick. I prefer the gender-neutral 'asshole' or 'fuckhead'.
The fact that it is a much more serious insult says quite a lot about our English-speaking society. When we have a language a where being compared to the male sex organ is bad, but being compared to a female sex organ is infinitely worse, it might just be that misogyny is going to require quite a bit of work to start shifting.

Aaron
El Duderino

#180 Post by Aaron »

Cunt is worse then dick?

Is this a cultural thing? They are pretty interchangable here.

Flagg

#181 Post by Flagg »

Fuck you. Cunt is fine.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Sandman

#182 Post by Sandman »

Aaron wrote:Cunt is worse then dick?

Is this a cultural thing? They are pretty interchangable here.
It's considered to be a more 'severe' word within the United Kingdom, at any rate. Though it is still interchangeable to a degree, a cunt is usually seen as 'a dick times ten' or something along those lines.

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#183 Post by Big Orangutan »

Censorship is so inconsistent, why else is violence treated more lightly than sex by Hollywood, despite being inherently worse?

And about "what if" about Firefly, if it hadn't been unwisely ditched by FOX in favour of reality rubbish or maybe aired on UPN instead, three things could've happened to it:

A) It would've been a moderate ratings hit and strong critical/cult hit in the same vein as Farscape and Babylon 5, with enough of a following to go on for three or four creatively solid seasons (going off the rails a bit in its last season like the latter two shows).

B) It would've lasted three to five seasons, but after a reasonably decent first series relatively rapidly turns into almost incoherent ratshit story-wise and earns a significantly worse reputation than does now (like Andromeda and Heroes).

C) It would not fully outshine Star Wars and Star Trek but finds a secure enough niche like Stargate SG-1 to go on for roughly a decade and spawn more spin-offs.
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#184 Post by adr »

@sandman Yeah, that's basically my experience too. Dick isn't polite speech, but cunt is far worse. I get the feeling too that cunt is a nastier/less appropriate word in the US than the UK as well but I can't say that for sure.

BTW I had previously noticed that my skin's smell kinda reminds me of cheese sometimes. And I just saw a guy on Democracy Now! say it is the same bacteria making both scents! I think that's pretty cool.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Big Orangutan
Hipster

#185 Post by Big Orangutan »

Speaking male genitalia slang is more milder than saying the dreaded C-U-Next-Tuesday term (which is deemed much more course than any other foul language, earning movies and TV shows the 18 rating if used more than once or twice).
*Insert Pretentious Quote Here*

RogueIce
#YOLO

#186 Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup wrote:I'd say it's about 50/50 between misogyny and mental illness/learning disabilities (stupid, idiot, moron, etc)
Maybe we just shouldn't insult people at all? :sun:

RogueIce
#YOLO

#187 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:So there's some dude handing out Vegan outreach pamphlets on campus.

Must resist urge to heckle.
You should graciously accept one of those pamphlets when it is offered to you.

While eating a cheeseburger. :v

RogueIce
#YOLO

#188 Post by RogueIce »

Flagg wrote:Fuck you. Cunt is fine.
Well if Flagg is for it that must mean it's a bad idea, right guys? :fukyu:

RogueIce
#YOLO

#189 Post by RogueIce »

And while I'm here: Darksider bro you need to get yourself an avatar over on SB. Oh yes I know it's you Dee Cider.

Zod
perkele

#190 Post by Zod »

Quit being a pussy.

evilsoup

#191 Post by evilsoup »

meow

Straha
Lecturer

#192 Post by Straha »

Darksi4190 wrote:So there's some dude handing out Vegan outreach pamphlets on campus.

Must resist urge to heckle.

Gasp! Someone is spreading a political message in a polite and non-invasive way hoping to bring about effective political and philosophical change to make the world a better place!

We can't have that now, can we? :colbert: :oinkoink:
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Flagg

#193 Post by Flagg »

Burn the land and boil the sea but you cannot take "cunt" from me...
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#194 Post by Darksi4190 »

Straha wrote:hoping to bring about effective political and philosophical change to make the world a better place!
I'm not sure I agree with this portion of your statement. I mean I know the Vegan guy thinks he's changing the world for the better, but would it really be that much better off if everyone stopped using animal products?

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#195 Post by Bakustra »

Darksi4190 wrote:
Straha wrote:hoping to bring about effective political and philosophical change to make the world a better place!
I'm not sure I agree with this portion of your statement. I mean I know the Vegan guy thinks he's changing the world for the better, but would it really be that much better off if everyone stopped using animal products?
That's not the point, is it? I mean, Veganism is hardly fascism or anything else with an actively repugnant ideology and means of changing the world, so why get mad that people are advocating for it?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#196 Post by RogueIce »

Think of all the fast food employees who would be out of a job.

Why do you hate the working class?

Because really how many ways can you do drive-thru salad.

But on a more serious note, how is encouraging veganism political change? I can see the philosophical part, but political? Unless they're advocating laws banning all meat and dairy consumption but I'm not aware of any serious movement to actually do that. Maybe against factory farms or something but an actual meat/dairy prohibition?

Glass Fort MacLeod
Fuckin' New Guy

#197 Post by Glass Fort MacLeod »

The problem is language is one fo those things that is relative. Ask one person how they feel aout a particular word/term/phrase and they may not be bothered by it, but another person will be. This is why things like tolerance, patience, and empathy are important to communication, because we can only really communicate if we are completely open and considerate of other people because what we really should pay attention to is the intent behind the language and not the language itself. Reality however, does not function quite under that ideal, and for various reasons (consideration again) we should be more careful about what we say, how we say it, and how we interpret other people's statements. Especially on the internet.

This is, I have learned, rather difficult to do (and to unlearn the habits of just 'assumping' things mean what I think they mean.) and more often than not creates the problems we often see on the internet (the inherent subjectivity in 'mockery of stupid people' being a prime example.)

evilsoup

#198 Post by evilsoup »

I would require everyone who wants to eat meat to get a license
to maintain it they'd have to go to an abattoir every two years and personally kill a cow & watch the life drain out of its eyes etc etc
selling meat to someone without a license would be punishable by a fine

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#199 Post by Darksi4190 »

Bakustra wrote:That's not the point, is it? I mean, Veganism is hardly fascism or anything else with an actively repugnant ideology and means of changing the world, so why get mad that people are advocating for it?
I was really just musing on messing with the dude to blow off steam after finals. The only thing that annoyed me was the way he just shoved the pamphlet into my hands while half-shouting "help animals" even though I was holding my hands up in the classic "not interested" gesture.

The pamphlet itself doesn't seem to be too annoying. It's got some of the standard "animals are people too" bullcrap, but it also presents the entirely valid argument that we need to reduce our meat consumption because of factory farming's impact on the changing environment, but that's just a tiny little blurb next to your standard shock-images and preachy moralizing.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#200 Post by RogueIce »

Oh go buck some apples, you.