The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
RyanThunder
Knows Best

Re: The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

#1826 Post by RyanThunder »

Oh right I forgot, only absolute chaos is a permissible form of government for you people.

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#1827 Post by Bakustra »

RyanThunder wrote:Oh right I forgot, only absolute chaos is a permissible form of government for you people.
i think i said it best years and years ago:
Me, that's who! wrote:Chaos, for lack of a better word, is good. Chaos is right, chaos works. Chaos clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Chaos, in all of its forms, chaos in life, in society, and in the world has marked the upward surge of mankind. And chaos will not only save Tellius modern-day Earth, but also the other malfunctioning machine known as this thread. A perfectly orderly world is a perfectly boring world. Chaos introduces fun, excitement, risk into the world. Chaos is essential to the modern world and has been essential to every world before it.
:smug:

Oxymoron

#1828 Post by Oxymoron »

RyanThunder wrote:Oh right I forgot, only absolute chaos is a permissible form of government for you people.
Only a Sith deals in absolutes
No.

evilsoup

#1829 Post by evilsoup »

chaos
blood for the blood god

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1830 Post by RyanThunder »

Bakustra wrote:Chaos, for lack of a better word, is good. Chaos is right, chaos works. Chaos clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Chaos, in all of its forms, chaos in life, in society, and in the world has marked the upward surge of mankind. And chaos will not only save Tellius modern-day Earth, but also the other malfunctioning machine known as this thread. A perfectly orderly world is a perfectly boring world. Chaos introduces fun, excitement, risk into the world. Chaos is essential to the modern world and has been essential to every world before it.
See, that's where you're dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. Chaos never benefits humanity as a whole. Chaos is only good for people who are big enough assholes to twist it to their advantage at the expense of others.

Zod
perkele

#1831 Post by Zod »

RyanThunder wrote: Chaos never benefits humanity as a whole.
How do you think fire works? :smug:

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#1832 Post by Bakustra »

RyanThunder wrote:
Bakustra wrote:Chaos, for lack of a better word, is good. Chaos is right, chaos works. Chaos clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Chaos, in all of its forms, chaos in life, in society, and in the world has marked the upward surge of mankind. And chaos will not only save Tellius modern-day Earth, but also the other malfunctioning machine known as this thread. A perfectly orderly world is a perfectly boring world. Chaos introduces fun, excitement, risk into the world. Chaos is essential to the modern world and has been essential to every world before it.
See, that's where you're dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. Chaos never benefits humanity as a whole. Chaos is only good for people who are big enough assholes to twist it to their advantage at the expense of others.
what does the word chaos mean to you exactly

?

ps: chaos owns (!!!!)

evilsoup

#1833 Post by evilsoup »

skulls for the skull throne

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1834 Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup

#1835 Post by evilsoup »

burn maim kill burn maim kill burn maim kill

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1836 Post by RogueIce »

I loled

Akhlut

#1837 Post by Akhlut »

RyanThunder wrote:
The DPRK is pretty orderly. :engleft:

Akhlut

#1838 Post by Akhlut »

RyanThunder wrote:
social scientists wrote:inclined to think that societies should operate in an orderly way akin to well-functioning machines
Because that's exactly how they should operate.

Actually, I suppose a better statement would be "If properly constructed, why wouldn't they?"

Furthermore, what's the point?
Humans, the basic aggregate of societies, are notably not machines. So, a society would not be expected to run like a machine because humans are full of idiosyncrasies and so forth that make life interesting.

Also, because the circumstances of societies are constantly changing, so too are the mechanisms within a society. Things are going to change at different rates, so having the same basic premises within a society that is changing rapidly are going to lead to problems. Like in the US South when black people were halfway de jure equals to white men while the society maintained the same mechanisms for races that it did 100 years prior.

Akhlut

#1839 Post by Akhlut »

RyanThunder wrote:Giving enough of a shit about a public problem that you're willing to unglue your face from vapid pop culture nonsense long enough to put serious effort into trying to solve that problem, I figure.

But I don't like that term. Everybody affected by something deserves to have input on it.
You're basically engaged in a form of victim-blaming, there. Most people are acculturated to only care about rather narrow groupings of subjects and not to think critically about societal problems. Saying that the victims of this acculturation are responsible for the problems in society is putting the cart before the horse, to a certain extent.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1840 Post by Darksi4190 »

My god my mom is such a worrywart. I'm going to hang out with this friend of a friend whose house i've never really been to before, and she's getting all worried like i'm still in grade school. Does she think she still has to meet his mommy before we can hang out or something?

Mind you there might actually be some cause for concern because this person (who i've recently re-connected with) is the psychopath who slashed my arm open with a pair of scissors in grade school art class, and was generally an unstable nutbag before he went to Iraq and Afghanistan and got PTSD, and he recently plead no contest to felony assault and possession of an illegal fiream, but I didn't actually tell her any of that.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1841 Post by RogueIce »

The thing I've found with the whole "Good Dictator/Autocratic Perfect Society" and similar such things is that they generally mean is "Dictator/Society that reflects my politics and beliefs, of course :smug: "

But even putting the whole messy question aside of what makes for a "Perfect Government" that somehow everyone will magically agree to run by a Good Dictator who will only ever act in the best interests of everyone (and that this is somehow uniform and possible)...what happens when the Good Dictator dies and gets replaced by some Jerkass Dictator?

Whoops.

Or your technocrats start pushing their particular biases rather than sticking to good ol' LOGIC and :science: because of course those learned in the Hard Sciences™ would never do that right?

Darksi4190

#1842 Post by Darksi4190 »

Also, apparently i'm the only one going.

If I don't post within the next three days, can one of you guys call the police?

Oxymoron

#1843 Post by Oxymoron »

So at least if we don't hear about you in the coming weeks, we know what happened. :v

Edit : shit, I was going with the cheap joke and you had to ruin it with actual concerns. Way to go, dude.
Last edited by Oxymoron on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1844 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:My god my mom is such a worrywart. I'm going to hang out with this friend of a friend whose house i've never really been to before, and she's getting all worried like i'm still in grade school. Does she think she still has to meet his mommy before we can hang out or something?

Mind you there might actually be some cause for concern because this person (who i've recently re-connected with) is the psychopath who slashed my arm open with a pair of scissors in grade school art class, and was generally an unstable nutbag before he went to Iraq and Afghanistan and got PTSD, and he recently plead no contest to felony assault and possession of an illegal fiream, but I didn't actually tell her any of that.
Gee I wonder.

I mean hey, maybe she doesn't know about the whole arrest and PTSD thing, but does she remember the "psychopath who slashed my arm open with a pair of scissors in grade school art class" part?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1845 Post by RogueIce »

Darksi4190 wrote:Also, apparently i'm the only one going.

If I don't post within the next three days, can one of you guys call the police?
:oinkoink: : "911, what's your emergency?"
:prof: : "Uh yes, I haven't heard from some dude on the Internet and he may have gotten himself murdered because he did something kinda silly."
:oinkoink: : "Okay, do you know where he is?"
:engleft: : "Uhm...not really."
:oinkoink: : "Do you know his name?"
:engleft: : "No, sorry."
:oinkoink: : "Do you know anything about him that could be useful in contacting the proper agency and locating him?"
:engleft: : "I guess not."
:oinkoink: : " ... "
:failure: : "Yeah okay, sorry for wasting your time."

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1846 Post by RogueIce »

Not that I'm asking for your personal info or anything because believe me, I'm not.

I just thought it was a funny exchange and a chance for some smilie abuse so I took it.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1847 Post by RogueIce »

Also post count padding ftw

Darksi4190

#1848 Post by Darksi4190 »

Naw he's actually a really cool guy we actually had a big laugh about the arm-slashing thing when he reminded me of it. I'm just concerned because I've never interacted with him without the group present, and he does have PTSD, so I don't want to do something to freak him out. I know the big things my friends mentioned before we hung out as a group were "don't surprise him," and "don't talk about the war."

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1849 Post by Phantasee »

10/10 great use of smilies
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Akhlut

#1850 Post by Akhlut »

I'm asking for personal information. Especially banking and financial information.

But only for your own good. :poop: