generic vidja gaems

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Losonti Tokash

Re: generic vidja gaems

#201 Post by Losonti Tokash »

That's the one. It'll make most anybody at least a little uncomfortable.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#202 Post by RyanThunder »

Why's that?

weemadando

#203 Post by weemadando »

I loved Spec Ops too. A lot. Even read a book someone had written about it.

In my gaming news, wrapped up Absolution last night with a less than subtle run through the cemetery. Now onto Binary Domain, which I got for five bucks. I figure it'll totally be worth that.

evilsoup

#204 Post by evilsoup »

how would you rate absolution? I'm thinking about getting it now that it's dropping to below half-price in the second-hand shops

Aaron
El Duderino

#205 Post by Aaron »

RyanThunder wrote:Why's that?
White phosphorous.

The character you play, his arc is brutally well done. You see him become a monster, to the point where he executes wounded enemies by caving their skull in with his rifle butt.

weemadando

#206 Post by weemadando »

Absolution is a game with issues. They divert pretty hard from the classic Hitman formula and sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. There are some critical mechanics which you'll accidentally learn because the explanations of them only appear on loading screens and you might not get those.

At times I was immensely frustrated, but then it would feed me a new scenario that was fun and interesting. Hell, even when I was frustrated, it was because they'd fumbled the implementation of something more ambitious than just another Hitman level.

It's also fucking long - I put in maybe 20 hours on the campaign. For the twenty bucks it is on Steam or wherever else, I recommend it.

evilsoup

#207 Post by evilsoup »

groovy, I might pick it up when I'm next in town

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#208 Post by RyanThunder »

Aaron wrote:
RyanThunder wrote:Why's that?
White phosphorous.

The character you play, his arc is brutally well done. You see him become a monster, to the point where he executes wounded enemies by caving their skull in with his rifle butt.
How is that good?

weemadando

#209 Post by weemadando »

Because the whole point of the game is to show how people SHOULD be reacting to the kinds of prolonged, insane violence that other military shooters have. The characters start losing their minds, become monsters and can't understand how they started doing such terrible things.

Seriously, get it and play it. It's regularly under 10 bucks and you can finish it in 2 or 3 short sittings.

F.J. Prefect, Esq

#210 Post by F.J. Prefect, Esq »

RyanThunder wrote:How is that good?
It's confrontational, it's powerful, it's thought-provoking.

Losonti Tokash

#211 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Absolution was boring as hell and one of the rare games I just got fed up with and quit.

evilsoup

#212 Post by evilsoup »

why did you find it boring? Too many cutscenes, QTEs, gimpy controls, poor level design, or what?

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#213 Post by RyanThunder »

weemadando wrote:Because the whole point of the game is to show how people SHOULD be reacting to the kinds of prolonged, insane violence that other military shooters have. The characters start losing their minds, become monsters and can't understand how they started doing such terrible things.
tbh it sounds like six hours of patronizing

"Well this is what'd really happen :smug:"
Seriously, get it and play it. It's regularly under 10 bucks and you can finish it in 2 or 3 short sittings.
Eh, may as well. I hope I'm wrong. :lol:

weemadando

#214 Post by weemadando »

It's not patronising. It's telling a story as it goes, not always shoving it down your throat (except for one REALLY lingering shot). Plenty of people have missed it entirely in favour of engaging further dudebro-ism.

weemadando

#215 Post by weemadando »

evilsoup wrote:why did you find it boring? Too many cutscenes, QTEs, gimpy controls, poor level design, or what?
The controls have issues (button swapping when using some items/weapons) and the QTEs can suck (fucking wrasslin).

But if you have a problem with too many cutscenes? There's not that many of them.

The most common complaint I've heard is people hating the pure traversal/evasion/stealth levels. Not that you have to stealth it.

Aaron
El Duderino

#216 Post by Aaron »

RyanThunder wrote:
weemadando wrote:Because the whole point of the game is to show how people SHOULD be reacting to the kinds of prolonged, insane violence that other military shooters have. The characters start losing their minds, become monsters and can't understand how they started doing such terrible things.
tbh it sounds like six hours of patronizing

"Well this is what'd really happen :smug:"
Eh, may as well. I hope I'm wrong. :lol:

Dude, it gives me nightmares and triggered me so bad I had to trafe it. it's not patronizing or any of the other shit we commonly think of with shooters.

its one of the best games I've ever played.

Veef

#217 Post by Veef »

I think one of Spec Op's strongest aspects is how the pacing of each scene is timed very well with the music. Even on my second time through I felt the same tension with all the same parts where Walker starts to cross the line. The game pretty much makes you want to keep pressing on to see how it ends.
Even when I immediately went back to the last chapter just to see how it would end different if you don't shoot Konrad, the way he counts down aloud and the way the music amps makes you tense down to the last second.

weemadando

#218 Post by weemadando »

If you really liked that aspect Veef, then read this: http://stolenprojects.com/

It does a great job of breaking down a lot of those art, sound and design decisions.

Veef

#219 Post by Veef »

Yeah someone tweeted that at me when I mentioned I was playing it but I couldn't figure out to pay for it with paypal.

Losonti Tokash

#220 Post by Losonti Tokash »

evilsoup wrote:why did you find it boring? Too many cutscenes, QTEs, gimpy controls, poor level design, or what?
Cutscenes didn't bother me, no. The gameplay was just janky as hell. It's not good at being a stealth game, it's a pretty awful shooter, it's a game about being an assassin that punishes you incessantly for killing people, and the part that killed it completely was when you're strangling the slutty nuns in some cornfield. As an added bonus, Rhea told me it was boring to watch.

weemadando

#221 Post by weemadando »

Veef wrote:Yeah someone tweeted that at me when I mentioned I was playing it but I couldn't figure out to pay for it with paypal.
That would've been me. Couldn't remember if I'd recommended it.

Veef

#222 Post by Veef »

Oh. I think that might have been you. I dunno this technological world with all the cyborgs and sentient robot dogs with chainsaws is getting cra- SLICE EVERYTHING!

evilsoup

#223 Post by evilsoup »

los, for reference, how do you rate the previous hitman games? Because most of what you wrote can be applied to them.

Losonti Tokash

#224 Post by Losonti Tokash »

I only played Blood Money and thought it was pretty fun.

evilsoup

#225 Post by evilsoup »

with Absolution, I heard that the guards were able to spot 47 as a fake too easily / form too far away - is that what you mean by it failing as a stealth game? Or was it something more fundamental?