The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
RogueIce
#YOLO

Re: The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

#2201 Post by RogueIce »

timmy wrote:War is not good. War is evil. A necessary evil, as the failure of diplomacy, but an evil all the same.
But glorious battle is the only way I can increase my XP and gain levels. :(

Oxymoron

#2202 Post by Oxymoron »

To add to that, IIRC, most Space Marine Chapters recruit kids in their early teens.

Only a few of them recruit older people. That's because the series of operation needed to convert a normal human into a Space Marine has exponentially better chances to succeed the younger the person is.

And considering that even then, in optimal conditions, a non-negligible number of these procedures fail at one point or another, you understand the incentive Chapters have to recruits them at a very young age.

Though I may be remembering things wrong, so don't take my word for it.
No.

timmy

#2203 Post by timmy »

No, I figured that it would be the case.

Fresh meat for the grinder.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Oxymoron

#2204 Post by Oxymoron »

And then there's a thing that's really sad in hindsight,

is that when you read the Horus heresy books (at least the first one, the only I've read), you see that as much as they were warriors, the Space Marines where also originally intellectuals. They where super-human not only by their strength and reflex, but also by their intelligence and wisdom.

But the Horus Heresy proved to the leadership of the Imperium how dangerous it was to let Space Marines develop too much free will.

So since then, a large part of their training has been to completely remove most of what linked them to the rest of humanity, turning them into war machines, feeling no fear nor regrets, obeying orders and seeing emotions as a weakness to be crushed.

So much potential for good, wasted. And now there only remain war, unending.
No.

evilsoup

#2205 Post by evilsoup »

that varies from chapter to chapter, though
the Ultramarines run their fiefdom to a better standard than most Imperial governors
The Space Wolves threatened to fly to Terra and put the High Lords to the sword over the treatment of the guardsmen veterans of the first Armageddon war by the Inquisition
in general, Space Marines will semi-regularly take over command of regular forces when they need to, which would require at least some understanding of how normal humans think

Oxymoron

#2206 Post by Oxymoron »

Yes.

But still, even then they have been emotionally castrated ("We know no fear"), and from what I get a large part of their training is more or less literal brainwashing to erase their former self and build in its place something more conform to what is expected of them : calculated murder on an industrial scale.
No.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2207 Post by adr »

so blip.tv recommended to me this thing called pgsm summaries and i was like omg is that the pgsm i think it is???

AND IT IS!!!!!!

coincidence? i kinda doubt it, i betcha this shit has been following me around the internet and knows i love me some sailor moon so it decided to cram it down

privacy is dead

but anyway yes this is the live action sailor moon show (done in internet commentary video) and oh it is about as amazing as you'd expect

extremely cheesy fights with lame looking monster costumes. ridiculous transformations, attacks, etc. so i can't stop loling a lil. but the story and characters are solid, i'd watch it for realz. BTW i now realize my sailor moon doll is based on the live action show - the face is clearly that of the actress

and i got moar sailor moon shit in the mail friday!!!!!!!!!! the re-releases of the books + sailor v. how exciting

but i gotta say i'm a lil bugged by the translation of the books and the pgsm show's subtitles. they leave in random japanese stuff.... randomly. sometimes they write out honorifics and sometimes don't. i'd say they should actually translate it all, all the time. same with a handful of other japanese words. blargh, it isn't that big of a deal to me but i gotta say DiC did a better job
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

evilsoup

#2208 Post by evilsoup »

Oxy: yeah, they're pretty thoroughly brainwashed (and that's not even the worst thing about Space Marines). According to some older fluff, Space marine chapters go from planet to planet and deliberately recruit psychologically damaged children; kids who have committed murder and so on. (Still not the worst thing about space marines lol)

The Spartan

#2209 Post by The Spartan »

What, in your opinion, is?

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2210 Post by RogueIce »

The Spartan wrote:What, in your opinion, is?
Ridiculous shoulder pads. :smugdog:

Oxymoron

#2211 Post by Oxymoron »

+1 person like this comment
No.

evilsoup

#2212 Post by evilsoup »

well the thing that creeped me out the most about space marines is the way the progenoid gland is produced
This is the key organ used in the production of Space Marines, it provides the base genetic material for creating all the other organs
Normally, these are harvested from Space Marines after maturing in their body
however, when the tech-priests of Mars want to grow new progenoid glands - to build up a decimated Chapter, or to form a new Chapter - they implant the progenoid glands into human slaves. And then leave the slaves in giant vats, in the darkness... the story I read this in left it ambiguous as to whether the slaves were lobotomised, or simply driven catatonic by spending years at a time restrained and in total sensory deprivation

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#2213 Post by Darksi4190 »

evilsoup

#2214 Post by evilsoup »

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
:argh:

Veef

#2215 Post by Veef »

timmy wrote:That Space Marine image is horrifying.

no worse than what's inside an Eva unit :fukyu:

evilsoup

#2216 Post by evilsoup »

not sure how that's relevant

Veef

#2217 Post by Veef »

If Timmy's gonna watch the next rebuild movie he needs a strong constitution!

The Spartan

#2218 Post by The Spartan »

It's not specific to Space Marines, but I'm more horrified by the idea of servitors and similar such things.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2219 Post by adr »

so i watched he sub of the sailor moon first season ending

when i watched the dub they talked about how there were parties and fireworks all the time on the moon kingdom and i was thinking "how bourgeois"... and in the sub they said the earth attacked because metalia exploited earth people's desire to be long lived like the moon people... perhaps if this inequality was addressed sooner things would have turned out differently

BTW I love the way queen serenity died on a cross

and holy shit the penultimate episode is brutal in the japanese version. usagi did exactly what i would do though: cry. and then get "corrected" by mr. bright rei.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

RogueIce
#YOLO

#2220 Post by RogueIce »

evilsoup wrote:
Move to a better country. Image
Veef wrote:he needs a strong constitution

:america:

Questor

#2221 Post by Questor »

In honor of the continuing debate about the death penalty on TEO:

The question of "giving peace to the families of the victims" has no place in the discussion of the death penalty. That's not what the criminal justice system is for. That's either vengeance or equity, depending on exactly how you want to define things. "Justice for x" is a meaningless concept when "x" is a victim.

To me, justice is something else, something larger. It's about the social contract. That's why the punishment for so many things is disproportionate to the crime, both harsh and lenient.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#2222 Post by Phantasee »

RogueIce wrote:
evilsoup wrote:
Move to a better country. Image
Veef wrote:he needs a strong constitution

:america:
fuck your country right now

denying the boston bomber his rights that that piece of paper grants anyone on US soil, INCLUDING ACTUAL CITIZENS, while claiming to defend that piece of paper

fuck

fuck it all

fuck obama
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Oxymoron

#2223 Post by Oxymoron »

I haven't followed the news in a few days. What's the deal ?
No.

Oxymoron

#2224 Post by Oxymoron »

Also this is probably old but it made me laugh :

No.

The Spartan

#2225 Post by The Spartan »

Oxymoron wrote:I haven't followed the news in a few days. What's the deal ?
I think he means an exception to the Miranda rule that they're using to question him; there's an exception to them with regard to public safety. Think of it as the ticking time bomb torture "exception" that's so often touted as a justification for torture except that there's (presumably) no torture and it's legal. Linky-doo

It's questionable whether they still have the right to use that exception, though.