generic vidja gaems

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
weemadando

Re: generic vidja gaems

#226 Post by weemadando »

It's a lot more line of sight than range based. Breaking line of sight will kill interest in you by someone who's not already investigating. Turning away from them will make suspicion rise slower. Turning away while in a crowd will make them lose you. None of this is explained. Especially the crowd stuff. It took a LOT of trial and error on my part in the train station level to figure it out.

Once you do figure it out, it's maaaad game-y. Plus the "use instinct to kill suspicion stuff" that let's you walk straight past people who would otherwise be suspicious. However, the stealth mechanics and level design are good enough that I was able do most missions as suit only.

The shooting mechanics aren't amazing, but they're functional and if you're in a gun-fight you've done fucked up somewhere. The "mark and execute" stuff does mitigate this. Doing a mark and execute move for a full clip of an assault rifle is a helluva force multiplier.

I don't regret paying full price, but for 20? It's a good enough game with some cool levels and ambitions.

weemadando

#227 Post by weemadando »

OK, I'm into Binary Domain now and I am enjoying this WAY more than I thought I would. The setting and plot are fun (BladeRunner cross with Ghost in the Shell, it's like nerd-bait) and the characters, even if scripted/acted poorly are actually good to interact with. And it looks really slick on PC with everything maxed.

Controls are fine (Japanese games animation priority/control issues frequently bug me) and the core gameplay of shooting robots into pieces is great. Even the bosses don't suck. Though I'm playing on easy, which I suspect will come back to bite me when the Japanese game design kicks in and tells me I'm not allowed to finish the game or something.

I'm actually really excited to see where this all goes. Hell, this might even pull me into playing Japanese games more often.

*edit* all this is through the eyes of someone who got it for $5. So, grain of salt if you want.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#228 Post by RogueIce »

So I know TOR isn't the greatest game. Heck I'd label it as distinctly medicore. At best.

So why can't I stop levelling my lightside Sith Warrior? *smirk*

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#229 Post by Darksi4190 »

"Lightside Sith Warrior?"

Does not compute

joviwan

#230 Post by joviwan »

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

Darksi4190

#231 Post by Darksi4190 »

I still think they should've made the result of Light Side Empire players and Dark Side Republic players a defection to the other side, complete with an extra storyline chapter that shows them settling in in their new faction. The whole "gritty" thing where no one is completely good or evil doesn't really sync up with SW.

On another note, I just finished the first chapter of the Smuggler storyline, and I gotta say that was one of the high notes of the game for me. I should be finished with all the Chapter 1 storylines by the end of febuary, and completely done with them by early summer. After that, I really don't know what else I'll do in the game. I've already done most of the flashpoints, what are the Operations like?

Losonti Tokash

#232 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Have you done all the other classes? What server are you on? I've played partway through the Trooper storyline but the person I usually played with isn't on much whenever I am and I get kinda bored all by myself.

Darksi4190

#233 Post by Darksi4190 »

I'm on Jedi Covenant. I finished the trooper class entirely, and now i'm playing through the other Republic class storylines roughly equally so that I finish them at the same time.

I'm really not interested in playing as the Empire.

Losonti Tokash

#234 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Ah, come on. I'll roll up an agent and you can be good hearted sith warrior. :p

Darksi4190

#235 Post by Darksi4190 »

Are you on Jedi Covenant too? 'Cause i'd be willing to team up for story progression. The individual plots are interesting and new, but the bonus missions and stuff that you have to do so the quest bosses don't kill the fuck out of you are getting boring by the second or third time around.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#236 Post by RogueIce »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Ah, come on. I'll roll up an agent and you can be good hearted sith warrior. :p
But that's my role! :argh:
Darksi4190 wrote:Are you on Jedi Covenant too? 'Cause i'd be willing to team up for story progression. The individual plots are interesting and new, but the bonus missions and stuff that you have to do so the quest bosses don't kill the fuck out of you are getting boring by the second or third time around.
Personally I'm rocking Ebon Hawk, because yes I find it fun to RP (but not ERP, Christ no fuck that noise).

I could roll some Jedi Covenant though.
Darksi4190 wrote:I still think they should've made the result of Light Side Empire players and Dark Side Republic players a defection to the other side, complete with an extra storyline chapter that shows them settling in in their new faction. The whole "gritty" thing where no one is completely good or evil doesn't really sync up with SW.

On another note, I just finished the first chapter of the Smuggler storyline, and I gotta say that was one of the high notes of the game for me. I should be finished with all the Chapter 1 storylines by the end of febuary, and completely done with them by early summer. After that, I really don't know what else I'll do in the game. I've already done most of the flashpoints, what are the Operations like?
From what I've heard a "Light Side" Sith is more like a "Dark Side" Jedi than actually being good per se. Dunno though, so far he seems a rather honorable chap. Well, except for those rebel slaves I put to death with poison, but it's good because I gave them a quick death rather than the long drawn out death.

Of course I'm still on Dromund Kaas so y'know I could end up killing many more people as the game goes on.

One can only hope. :sun:

joviwan

#237 Post by joviwan »

the light side sith warrior is a much more complex character than a dark side jedi.

RogueIce
#YOLO

#238 Post by RogueIce »

Anti-heroes always get the best stories.

Losonti Tokash

#240 Post by Losonti Tokash »

I'm on Bergeren Colony (or something like that) but I got no problem rolling a new character on Jedi Covenant or Ebon Hawk. Some lame silly RPing might be fun too.

Oxymoron

#241 Post by Oxymoron »

This reminds me I still have to finish Syndicate (and a hundred other games, too) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

edit : for those who don't want to or can't follow the link => they're apparently making a Cyberpunk 2077 vidjagame.
No.

Losonti Tokash

#242 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Poor Syndicate. They should have ditched the SP completely and put the resources into improving the coop. Or at least had some post launch support.

Anyway, Rogue and Darksider: if you guys want to send me a pm with your origin IDs and AIM/MSN (if you use those), we can set some shit up this week it'll be rad as hell

RogueIce
#YOLO

#243 Post by RogueIce »

Does whatever username I created when signing up count as an Origin ID?

Losonti Tokash

#244 Post by Losonti Tokash »

No idea. I just assumed you launched the game through origin or whatevs

RogueIce
#YOLO

#245 Post by RogueIce »

Nope, I got it through the demo installer like two days before F2P hit.

I do have AIM though so there's that.

Losonti Tokash

#246 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Darksider says texting works better for him, I can send you my number if that's fine with you

Darksi4190

#247 Post by Darksi4190 »

You know what? let me download Trillian real quick and see if my old AIM username still works. it's a long-shot, but it might work.

Darksi4190

#248 Post by Darksi4190 »

Jesus christ my old AIM username still works. It's Darksi3190, and it's the screename I set up when I first got AOL dial-up when I was twelve.

I can't believe it still works.

Losonti Tokash

#249 Post by Losonti Tokash »

3190 or 4190?

Darksi4190

#250 Post by Darksi4190 »

darksi3190. 3190. i'm logged in right now.